***Exhibition Gameday Thread - New Look Gophers VS Concordia St.Paul****

You will have to resign yourself to the fact that some people simply cannot help themselves. Their whole identity is to agitate and draw reactions from annonymous people. Whether it is low self-esteem searching for validation or an over-inflated sense of self-worth trying to get you to see their greatness, attempting to appeal to them will only make it worse.

Releasing the bail...............
After a full day absent the mask discussion you jump on to smugly explain that the only people daring to continue the discussion post to "agitate and draw reactions" so that their "low self-esteem" can be "validated" while insulting the people on the other side of the debate to gain attention for their(your) over inflated sense of self worth...

Hmmm. This may go down as one of the more bizarre posts this month. I am not sure if this is a troll or a logic loop meant to crash the entire matrix...

Putting that in context - Johnson was making the point that this is a new team and a new coaching staff, and they are still working things out - for instance, during games, when there is a time out, what should each coach be doing. That just doesn't happen by magic - you have to have a plan.

Johnson also talked about the fact that the entire team and coaching staff - due to NCAA restrictions on off-season work - have only been working together for a relatively short time. again, with an entirely new team and new staff, it takes time to work out duties and responsibilities to be as efficient as possible in practice and during games. this is a work in progress.
Ben will probably have a lot of head scratcher comments after games this year. There won't be much to say that isn't obvious. Losing Fox and Ihnen really made for an impossible situation.

Putting that in context - Johnson was making the point that this is a new team and a new coaching staff, and they are still working things out - for instance, during games, when there is a time out, what should each coach be doing. That just doesn't happen by magic - you have to have a plan.

Johnson also talked about the fact that the entire team and coaching staff - due to NCAA restrictions on off-season work - have only been working together for a relatively short time. again, with an entirely new team and new staff, it takes time to work out duties and responsibilities to be as efficient as possible in practice and during games. this is a work in progress.
The time to figure that out is not game day. There are no restrictions on having a philosophy and a plan in place you have discussed with the coaches long before game day. Not knowing because you don't know or are unsure prior to game day is a whole other thing. Whatever the reason, that's not good.

No. They play either the winner or loser of South Carolina/Princeton. So if we lose to WKU we likely get Princeton.
And how would Princeton compare to the Kansas City, Fort Wayne, etc. group? Or would be more like WKU (ie, a "step above")?

The time to figure that out is not game day. There are no restrictions on having a philosophy and a plan in place you have discussed with the coaches long before game day. Not knowing because you don't know or are unsure prior to game day is a whole other thing. Whatever the reason, that's not good.
Agreed. These are all things that should have already been worked out. It's not like you couldn't project that you would have time outs, being surprised that you should have been prepared for what you do in time outs is frightening. If they were surprised/not prepared for this, I can't imagine how many times Izzo and Painter are going to surprise them. This is why you get head coaches with experience before throwing them into the Big Ten. You can't be making these types of errors. Can you imagine what people on this board would have said if that was a quote from Pitino?

Anyone read the post game conference? There are some parts that are eye opening like this “Even today. We had a meeting about who is in charge of what during the game. It is what it is.”
You would think this wouldnt be a game day conversation. Very interesting.

. You want to be perfect but you just aren’t going to be this year. But we showed growth from our scrimmage (vs Oklahoma).

Guessing that scrimmage didnt go so well
Who is in charge?

Everyone needs to take a deep breath and relax. This is going to be a painful growing experience. None of these guys have played together before and Ben is a first year head coach with a completely new staff. This is a perfect year for him to get his feet wet, learn from mistakes so that when the talent starts arriving he will be ready.

Would you consider Asheville to be in the cupcakes?
We're not playing Ashville, were playing in Ashville. Western Kentucky and then either Princeton or South Carolina. We should beat the six cup cakes coming to the Barn Alcorn State, A&M CC, Green Bay, Fort Wayne and Jacksonville, none were in the top 300 of the Net last year. Kansas City was the only team with a Net ranking in the 200's and it was the high 200's. I think they can get one in Ashville. At Pitt and at Miss State will be interesting to see where we are at.

We're not playing Ashville, were playing in Ashville. Western Kentucky and then either Princeton or South Carolina.
I knew that. I was obviously referring to the Asheville tourny.

I think they can get one in Ashville. At Pitt and at Miss State will be interesting to see where we are at.
So, to be more explicity, how are WKU and Princeton compared to the cupcakes? A clear step above?

Everyone needs to take a deep breath and relax. This is going to be a painful growing experience. None of these guys have played together before and Ben is a first year head coach with a completely new staff. This is a perfect year for him to get his feet wet, learn from mistakes so that when the talent starts arriving he will be ready.
Yeah, I think expecting results this year is completely unfair to Ben. It's an insanely unique year with all of the COVID transfers.

I do think it's fair to sort of question things though. We're fans, it's what we're supposed to do. If things seem disorganized or we don't like some of the answers/strategies/etc., we should all treat Ben Johnson like the coach of a Big 10 team and question those things.

For me, this year is a pass on results. It's not a pass on everything. I think PJ's first year is a good example. Our W-L record was significantly worse than the previous season, but most of us saw something. The organization, the recruiting, the way the team played, etc.

Top Bottom