Excitement/interest for next season

How has your excitement/interest level for next season change with the PJ Fleck hire?

• +10

Votes: 58 42.3%
  • +5

Votes: 52 38.0%

Votes: 10 7.3%

Votes: 12 8.8%

Votes: 5 3.6%

• Total voters
We are about to enter an Elite era of Gopher football.

It means PJ believes that a 3 star kid from Michigan is better than a 5 star kid from Minnesota, just because he played better competition in high school!!!

Which 5 star recruit from Minnesota we talking about again?

Honestly I have thought about doing something else on Saturdays. 33 year season ticket holder with as many as 12 seats but always 6. Now down to 6 if I renew (probable). Learned through the years not to mess with success. Also learned that it would have been wise to Keep Mason going into TCF and seeing what he could have done for a couple years there. The U has never really committed to football but has made progress thanks to Jerry Kill. I was told in essence, its not about us old folks anymore, its about the young ones which is the Fleck appeal. Donated to the stadium and have given plenty of money to the Gopher fund. The handling of Tracy Claeys was a total embarrassment to Minnesota in general, not just the U. Kaler is a poor excuse for an honest man and leader.
I will support the new regime if I renew or not but am at a low point for excitement. Give the guy a chance I guess, just not real impressed with the "National championship " talk, it is over the top and not necessary.

My excitement is off the charts but more for the future than next season.

This is how I feel. I'm a "meh" on next season, as I'd guess something like 6 or 7 wins. But I'm beyond stoked for the future. I really believe in Fleck's vision and approach. Only time will tell, but I think the ceiling on Gopher football has been raised immensely.

I agree with most of this. We return the best RB tandem in the B1G and a strong DL and LB core. Yes we have questions at QB, CB and WR but the freshmen and recruits look good (obliviously wait on appeals) we don't exactly play and high flying passing offenses in the B1G west with Nebraska and Iowa losing multi year starters at QB. I believe that we have a good chance to win 8 or 9 games and lay the groundwork for the future! Very excited for Fleck!!

Class of '17

I think we need more global warming to get better recruits from the south to come up to the frozen tundra!

If you ask me it's blatant geographical favoritism displayed by the NCAA towards warm weather climates. All official visits should take place in summer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talk doesn't excite me. If PJF can win 8 or more games next year, which he should, I'll be excited.

Let me be clear - Fleck may be a very good coach. He may be (probably is) a better recruiter than Claeys. Claeys was a good X's & O's coach, so Fleck will need his coordinators to come through. When you take style out of the equation, the change in coaches is probably a net plus for the program.

BUT - and this is a personal thing - Fleck's style just turns me off. I hate the over-the-top antics, slogans, catch phrases and all the shtick. I'm already at a point where I never want to hear "elite" or "row the (bleepin') boat" again.

If he was coaching another team (like WI or IA), I suspect a lot of people on this board would be ridiculing Fleck instead of praising him.

So - to sum up - I can't say I'm more excited about the 2017 season. More like apprehensive. Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.
Quality post.

My excitement level is SKY HIGH!!!

Mason excited me, he was a proven program improver, and he did just that for us. And he gave us something special, we ruled the world of running the ball. I simply loved that, I loved it so much I would have been ok had they not fired him, despite my coming to have realized he wasn't the 2nd coming of Bernie Bierman.

Kill excited me, too, but in a different way, I full well knew that Kill wasn't going to instantly transform the program, but I did have faith that his efforts would bore good fruit over time, and I believe that had he remained our coach that we'd be in great shape right now.

I've got nothing against TC, he was a decent, maybe even a great AC, but he was NEVER meant to be a Head Coach, much less the head coach of a P5 school.

Minnesota has a fairly new stadium, plans and money for a new Sports Facility, and has now hired the top up and comer coach. I'm not a youngen, so I understand why some Gopher fans choose to hold back their excitement, but they could die at any time, they should embrace this new coach and the excitement surrounding him and enjoy it, and who knows, he could transform the program in a way that no other coach since Holtz could. And he's young enough that he could become the next Icon in the coaching world? Maybe, there is a slight chance he becomes the next Brewster, but I seriously doubt that. We made one of the worst hires in B1G conf hires in all of history, hiring Brewster, but that doesn't mean we are going to do the same thing anytime soon. The closest we've come to this is the hiring of Pitino, but he's pulling in the high level recruits and has bb fans truelly hopeful about the future.

PJF could become an institution here.

I have higher hopes for Fleck than I had for Kill and for Holtz. I thought Holtz could turn us around quickly, but I was afraid he might leave, and he did, I thought Kill could turn us into winners, but that it would take him between 5-8 years to do it, unfortunately we didn't have him that long. But Fleck is a guy I can see turning us into winners quickly, and I do not fear him leaving us anytime soon. If Bama's coach retires 3-5 years from now, I might worry a little, otherwise I think we have our coach for the next 30-40 years.

Where the Fleck = Brewster gripe falls short (IMMO) is Fleck has actually been a college HBC, AND been successful. It's not all theory & salesmanship.

Where the Fleck = Brewster gripe falls short (IMMO) is Fleck has actually been a college HBC, AND been successful. It's not all theory & salesmanship.

Here is where the comparisons to Brewster have come on this board:

People are saying things like "It's nice to have a coach that isn't satisfied with going 9-4". OR During the Claeys regime, people would say "we need a high energy guy to sell tickets and take us over the hump."

I've seen very few people insinuate they had similar resumes when they were hired. Brewster is brought up as proof that the excitement surrounding a "rah rah guy" is fleeting if he does not win. Additionally, Fleck should win, because we left him a pretty good team.

The excitement and vocabulary surrounding Fleck is almost identical to what was going on under Brew. He would say stuff about the Rose Bowl and shoot out catch phrases, and Gopher fans would regurgitate them out in excitement. You'd hear things like "we would never have landed this kid under Mason". I defended Brew's style during the early Kill years and I defend Claeys style now because, to me, style does not really matter. The only thing that matters is winning.

Like Brewster, if Fleck doesn't win, people will be mocking his antics (just like they would have mocked Kill and did mock a 9-4 Claeys).

FWIW.......Spoke with a former player (from mid 80s teams - played during Holtz / Gutey era). Asked him what he and former teammates thought of hire. He said, "I like it and so do the others." I took it as a good sign (from the support side of things).

PJ is all talk!!! He doesn't truly believe that he can win with players from this area. He is looking to get MAC level players from other states to come to Minnesota. He seems to believe that MAC level players from other states are better than area D1 recruits!!!

That must be why he ran off all the Minnesota recruits...oh wait.

I am always excited for Gopher football and more so this coming year

You're saying he would of kept them if he could? That's 10000% false besides Layne and Jackson.

I think he means PJ pretty much had to honor the in-state offers by Claeys and co.

I'm interested in seeing if justice prevails for the 10 accused. It will be somewhere around August when I start to care about next seasons games.

I'm a bit apprehensive, Fleck has the potential, to be very good too great, He also has as much potential, to be a disaster. I'm reserving judgement there will be no in between. I could see TC making the team incrementally better and with it improved recruiting over time. The down side was the possibility of plateauing and shortfalls in fund raising. Mark Coyle is not cut out to be the face of the program, like Barry Alvarez at Wisconsin, so I understand the change, but I lost a lot of respect for Mark Coyle the way he went about it.

Exactly how I feel. Well stated. I don't have anything against Fleck, but Mark Coyle grinds my gears.

Especially, the look of horror when we won the bowl game. Dean Johnson hugged Tracy Claeys, Kaler was jumping and pumping his fist; right behind them Mark Coyle looked like he was watching a school shooting play out.

Exactly how I feel. Well stated. I don't have anything against Fleck, but Mark Coyle grinds my gears.

Especially, the look of horror when we won the bowl game. Dean Johnson hugged Tracy Claeys, Kaler was jumping and pumping his fist; right behind them Mark Coyle looked like he was watching a school shooting play out.

Dang this was posted last night and no beatlejuice beatlejuice beatlejuice yet?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm about as excited a Lane Kiffin coaching this year!

Top Bottom