Excellent Read: Head Coaches, Schools Go Unpunished

It's never been surprising that the NCAA and the basketball establishment shields the top programs and big-time coaches, but I genuinely thought that the law and the courts would be imparial with justice. It makes me wonder about what has gone on behind closed doors of the seedy underbelly of the game. Are these schools and people so powerful that they've been able to unduly evade the law, even to the point of suppressing evidence and information? And if so, how? Is organized crime involved? How big must this be? Or is my imagination running away with me? In any case, this continues to be a mystery wrapped in an enigma.

It's never been surprising that the NCAA and the basketball establishment shields the top programs and big-time coaches, but I genuinely thought that the law and the courts would be imparial with justice. It makes me wonder about what has gone on behind closed doors of the seedy underbelly of the game. Are these schools and people so powerful that they've been able to unduly evade the law, even to the point of suppressing evidence and information? And if so, how? Is organized crime involved? How big must this be? Or is my imagination running away with me? In any case, this continues to be a mystery wrapped in an enigma.

Have you ever thought that some of these schools just have good attorneys and an administration with a backbone and they just poke the NCAA in the chest (hard) and tell the NCAA to Px$$-off or our legal team will take you apart one sport at a time! ...while other schools self punish and send a messenger to ask the NCAA to stop by and flog them in person?

Have you ever thought that some of these schools just have good attorneys and an administration with a backbone and they just poke the NCAA in the chest (hard) and tell the NCAA to Px$$-off or our legal team will take you apart one sport at a time! ...while other schools self punish and send a messenger to ask the NCAA to stop by and flog them in person?
The administration having a backbone doesn't absolve the cheating, only demonstrates the University supports paying players which is a clear rule violation of the NCAA. Schools that self administer punishment are only trying to maintain their integrity as a program and clearly aren't tolerant of cheating. Just sucks when you support a program trying to maintain that integrity when the governing body can do nothing to punish schools that clearly don't care.

If you read my post closely (and you still could), I acknowlege that thumbing your nose to the NCAA is one thing, but how does one evade law enforcement so thoroughly, including the FBI?

If you read my post closely (and you still could), I acknowlege that thumbing your nose to the NCAA is one thing, but how does one evade law enforcement so thoroughly, including the FBI?
Not necessarily refuting your comment. Not saying anyone should cheat. Most of these violations are not laws that any government would be able to prosecute - just violations of an agreement between two different nonprofit entities.

Not necessarily refuting your comment. Not saying anyone should cheat. Most of these violations are not laws that any government would be able to prosecute - just violations of an agreement between two different nonprofit entities.
That doesn't hold water. If the assistant coaches can be sent up the river, the head coaches can, too, for being party to the EXACT same things. Did you read the article?

That doesn't hold water. If the assistant coaches can be sent up the river, the head coaches can, too, for being party to the EXACT same things. Did you read the article?

Speaking more broadly than just the article.

Sickening. Hard to understand how fans of these school justify, but they do.
Makes me wonder if we would sell our souls as well if gophers were natty contenders?

I think most of us have a moral compass that has it's limits. Depends on what we're considering as that bad of crimes. Paying players shouldn't be done and coaches should be punished, but can you really blame kids for that? In the real world if the NCAA weren't involved it would be great to help kids however you can to take advantage of possible success. If you can help kids get to the NBA and have their family supported financially that would be great. But I get it. I just don't think it's fair to say coaches and players are just bad people for that.

That's just one example of "bad" things in college sports.

I didn't read the article above, just talking generally about college sports.

Do the ends justify the means? It seems that most businesses say...yes.

Do the ends justify the means? It seems that most businesses say...yes.
Not to me. Those that lie and cheat know they are lying and cheating and do not care. Winning intoxicated them. I would much rather win one clean as some have done.

Miller is in the same sort of situation Frost is at NE, different sports I know, but both AZ and NE had beloved, saintly coaches that won national championships.
There is no doubt Miller paid to get players to come to AZ. He is under a lot of pressure to produce a championship.
When his agent negotiated Miller's contract a couple of years ago one stipulation was that even if Miller were fired for cause he would still get his pay out!
The U of AZ ignored that red flag and agreed.
Both NE and AZ have no relevance or reputation in academics or scholarship on a national level so sports are their only hope for fame..

is it cheating if you get caught and experience no negative consequences?

Not to me. Those that lie and cheat know they are lying and cheating and do not care. Winning intoxicated them. I would much rather win one clean as some have done.

Top Bottom