Ex-Minnesota head coach Tim Brewster joining Deion Sanders' staff at Jackson State

Brew has had an interesting journey since his time here ended.....Mississippi State, Florida State, Texas A&M, North Carolina, Florida, and apparently now Jackson State.....all in just a little over 10 years and all as an assistant.

Will be interesting to see if he ever gets a head coaching shot again.

Someone tell Danny b. 20’years later and Danny still likes to get Brewster barbs

I bet he still has that maroon and gold Special Forces mat he took from the U and brought with him to Florida State. When Deion and Hunter go there next year, he'll be right at home with them.

Interesting. I wonder how Jackson State assistant salaries even come close to matching up to a P5 job.

He's 61 now and that ship sailed a long time ago
I think GWG is correct. When he left Minnesota I thought he might pursue a head coaching job at a smaller school to try to show that he learned some things from his time here, but he either wasn't interested in that route or the opportunities weren't there.

It could be that Brewster realized he wasn't cut out to be a Head Coach, and decided to do what he was good at - recruiting - and let someone else deal with the flack that comes with being a Head Coach.

Not every coach wants to be a head coach, and some coaches are simply not cut out to be a head coach. at some point, every coach has to figure out who they are and what they want to do.

This above all: to thine own self be true,

Brew has had an interesting journey since his time here ended.....Mississippi State, Florida State, Texas A&M, North Carolina, Florida, and apparently now Jackson State.....all in just a little over 10 years and all as an assistant.

He and Country Jer' are doing some kind of Amazing Race of Coaching

It could be that Brewster realized he wasn't cut out to be a Head Coach, and decided to do what he was good at - recruiting - and let someone else deal with the flack that comes with being a Head Coach.

Not every coach wants to be a head coach, and some coaches are simply not cut out to be a head coach. at some point, every coach has to figure out who they are and what they want to do.

His "gift" is as a recruiter.

I appreciate that, to my knowledge, Brewster has never publicly badmouthed the U.

That’s in direct contrast, of course, to a certain other volatile ex-Minnesota head coach.
Failure is a part of progress.

He wasn't a good HC but he is not alone in that and seems like a good guy otherwise.

I don’t know how brew would feel but I’d be happy to have him back in MN as a TE coach.

Last edited:

I appreciate that, to my knowledge, Brewster has never publicly badmouthed the U.

That’s in direct contrast, of course, to a certain other volatile ex-Minnesota head coach.
Yep, Brew's done alright for himself since leaving MN. And I can't say I ever remember him saying anything other than positive stuff about his time here. If Jackson State plays New Mexico State, I'm cheering for JSU.

Prime and Brew. Who will be their confidence and bravado sensei?

I too appreciate the fact that Brew never bad mouth the program when he left here. More than likely he was honest with himself and realized that being a head coach is not all what it seems to be for everyone. Sure, does seem to hop around a lot though.

His name is listed as a donor to TCF’s construction. So he at least gave us that.

As a Gopher fan, I went through

Wacker
Mason
Brewster
Kill
Claey
Fleck

Wacker was wacky and his metallic gold uniforms was fugly as hell!

Loved and still love Mason, surprises haven’t heard from him yet on MBIII!

Brewster had me pumped up and I even bought a “Brew Crew” tshirt!

Kill I did like as well. Fun fact, only MN head coach I ever had a photo with!

Claey never cared for

Fleck = 🥰

I have said many times... I have nothing but respect for Tim Brewster. He was an absolute train wreck as a head coach but he never once bad mouthed the university or anything to do with his time here. He has always been 100% classy, even as much as tweeting about the Barbers last night.

I am convinced he turned the state/high school's perception of the U. It felt like under Mason the high schools felt largely ignored by him. Mason was overall was light years ahead of Brewster as a head coach but Mason's flaw was his relationship with the state's coaches. Kill and now Fleck have enhanced that relationship that Brewster originally built.

Wow!! SON is using Shakespeare and comparing the BREW with Polonius who was giving advice to his son Laertes.

Having said that:

one year at the State Fair, I was able to have short conversations with Tim Brewster and Brad Childress.

Brewster - to me, at least - came off as rather impersonal. he really didn't seem to be interested in mingling with the masses. sounded like a guy reciting talking points.

Childress on the other hand was very personable and funny. completely unlike the way he was portrayed by the media. got a completely different vibe from him compared to Brewster.

obviously, just one person's opinion.

Almost 3 time for Danny B. Oh is he gonna get after the brew man.

I have said many times... I have nothing but respect for Tim Brewster. He was an absolute train wreck as a head coach but he never once bad mouthed the university or anything to do with his time here. He has always been 100% classy, even as much as tweeting about the Barbers last night.

I am convinced he turned the state/high school's perception of the U. It felt like under Mason the high schools felt largely ignored by him. Mason was overall was light years ahead of Brewster as a head coach but Mason's flaw was his relationship with the state's coaches. Kill and now Fleck have enhanced that relationship that Brewster originally built.
I met Brew once and he seemed like a genuine class act guy.

Having said that:

one year at the State Fair, I was able to have short conversations with Tim Brewster and Brad Childress.

Brewster - to me, at least - came off as rather impersonal. he really didn't seem to be interested in mingling with the masses. sounded like a guy reciting talking points.

Childress on the other hand was very personable and funny. completely unlike the way he was portrayed by the media. got a completely different vibe from him compared to Brewster.

obviously, just one person's opinion.
Timing? I spoke with Brewster twice. Same as Mason. Brewster seemed to be a decent guy. He had his assistant ensure that a young man in the hospital with a serious condition got some signed swag/ a visit from a couple of players.

I really believe that he wanted the U to succeed! I also believe he wanted to bring back former players.

Top Bottom