Everything Wrong With America In One Simple Image (INFOGRAPHIC)

Cayman

Reaction score
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/05/12/american-decline/

The thread title is the name of an article I saw on my Facebook wall today that was posted by the "Being Liberal" page. It's a little old, posted originally in May, but I just saw it for the first time today. It shows that the highest paid public employees in 40 states are college athletics coaches, mostly football coaches with a few men's basketball coaches, one hockey coach, and one women's basketball coach. Basically it seems some people (who are probably not sports fans) are outraged because the coaches of revenue producing sports programs make a lot of money, and that prioritization of sports over education is going to spell the end for our sad little nation. Curious what others' views are on this.

What they fail to take into account is that none (or almost none) of these employees are paid exclusively with public dollars. Especially at the big football factories, the majority of their salary comes from athletic revenue. If you went only by the portion of their salaries that comes from public funds, how many of those 40 would still be their respective state's highest-paid public employee?

What they fail to take into account is that none (or almost none) of these employees are paid exclusively with public dollars. Especially at the big football factories, the majority of their salary comes from athletic revenue. If you went only by the portion of their salaries that comes from public funds, how many of those 40 would still be their respective state's highest-paid public employee?

Agreed.

How many of those public employees had to start out as an unpaid assistant, working up to a barely paid assistant probably in another state, to a higher assistant in probably yet another state, etc.?

Also, how many public employees risk being canned at any given moment based on a 21 year old doing something stupid? Many of these coaches could be fired at a moment's notice if a kid or kids choose to cheat academically, take money from a booster, etc. Most public employees are darn near guaranteed employment (even back pay during shutdowns).

And how many of those public employees bring in millions of dollars to a University?

The article itself is what is wrong with America. Taking a complex issue and making it simple to fit one's political agenda.

What this really tells me is that we might ought to pay our Hockey coach more or risk losing him to New Hampshire.

I thought this post was going to have a people of Wal-Mart picture

That, or another round of pictures of that large lady in the Iowa Hawkeye bikini.
Anyone remember that thread from last year an Amazon lady she must have been 6'5"
with blonde hair in an Iowa Hawkeye bikini.

Dang Gopherhole, an image I really want to forget and for some reason it is burned in my brain.
Makes me wonder if she was a relative of Pantherhawk and they chase each other around like
Ninjas.

If you think paying revenue producers less money than they bring in is America's biggest problem you are one ignorant dude.

I'd be more concerned about congressional districts that elect Muslims and harbor terrorists.

Quite honestly the most ridiculous and dumbest thread, ever.

DELETE.

Just so people aren't getting the wrong impression, the thread title is just the name of the article. I know there are much bigger things to worry about than college coaches making a lot of money for running profitable programs. I saw it posted on Facebook and probably 90% of the comments were in agreement with it. I figured I'd post it over here to get the opposing viewpoint from people who are likely much more knowledgeable on the subject than the comment section.

Just so people aren't getting the wrong impression, the thread title is just the name of the article. I know there are much bigger things to worry about than college coaches making a lot of money for running profitable programs. I saw it posted on Facebook and probably 90% of the comments were in agreement with it. I figured I'd post it over here to get the opposing viewpoint from people who are likely much more knowledgeable on the subject than the comment section.

There are folks who think the money spent on sports is a disgrace.

There are folks who think the money spent on the space program is a disgrace.

There are folks who thinks the money spent on religion is a disgrace.

I could go on and on. We live in a free, pluralistic society. Hand wringers on the right annoy me. Hand wringers on the left bore me.

Top Bottom