Everyone was correct about Auburn!!!

DEGopher

Reaction score
Auburn was just as good as advertised. All the SEC homers had it right, Auburn’s D was second to none and their offense was nearly unstoppable.

Everyone, however. was wrong about the Gophers. They failed to consider the “Heart of a Gopher!”

The Gophers just stuck it to one of the SEC’s best. Let’s not give them an excuses by agreeing that Auburn was something less than advertise.

Last edited:

I'm not going to worry about the disrespect card. Listen, we deserved it after 60 years of plain awful football. We opened eyes this year. We beat some really good teams. Went 2-2 in money games. We will get some well deserved talk and respect come next year. Not to worry.

Auburn was just as good as advertised. All the SEC homers had it right, Auburn’s D was second to none and their offense was nearly unstoppable.

Everyone, however. was wrong about the Gophers. They failed to consider the “Heart of a Gopher!”

The Gophers just stuck it to one of the SEC’s best. Let’s not give them an excuses by agreeing that Auburn was something less than advertise.
Except that Auburn's D was second to the Gophers D. ?

Auburn absolutely wanted to be there. They were stoked from the opening kick and played through the whistle (many times FAR PAST the whistle) for the whole game. Minnesota was simply better. Better gameplan, better on both lines, better skill players. Crazy, but MN dominated the game. It was so fun!

Auburn absolutely wanted to be there. They were stoked from the opening kick and played through the whistle (many times FAR PAST the whistle) for the whole game. Minnesota was simply better. Better gameplan, better on both lines, better skill players. Crazy, but MN dominated the game. It was so fun!

That last scrum for the first down was the story of the game. The Gophers out muscled them all day. They put Auburn's vaunted d-line to shame.

I'm not going to worry about the disrespect card. Listen, we deserved it after 60 years of plain awful football. We opened eyes this year. We beat some really good teams. Went 2-2 in money games. We will get some well deserved talk and respect come next year. Not to worry.
I don't take it personally as a Gopher fan; I take it personally as a Big Ten member. The co-champ of a Big Ten division being laughed off as second rate does steam my cachongas. The conference is being laughed off too.

FYI
Power 5 Summary through the Sugar Bowl 1/1/20:
SEC 6-2 (75%)
PAC12 4-3 (57%)
B1G 4-4 (50%)
ACC 4-5 (44%)
Not so Big12 1-5 (17%)

we have one more B1G game and it’s another SEC/B1G match up between Indiana and Tennessee. Definitely a winnable game for Indian.

Auburn was/is a great team. You don't beat Alabama and Oregon if not, nor lose to LSU by only 3 points in Baton Rouge.

Auburn was/is a great team. You don't beat Alabama and Oregon if not, nor lose to LSU by only 3 points in Baton Rouge.

to continue this spot on line of thinking. Auburn’s only losses:
@Florida 24-13
@LSU 23- 20
Georgia 21-14

Minnesota 31-24

FYI
Power 5 Summary through the Sugar Bowl 1/1/20:
SEC 6-2 (75%)
PAC12 4-3 (57%)
B1G 4-4 (50%)
ACC 4-5 (44%)
Not so Big12 1-5 (17%)

we have one more B1G game and it’s another SEC/B1G match up between Indiana and Tennessee. Definitely a winnable game for Indian.
The BiG should also be 6-2 if it wasn't for some really bad calls with OSU and Wisky

The BiG should also be 6-2 if it wasn't for some really bad calls with OSU and Wisky

I am more sympathetic to Wisky than OhSt. I thought the calls against OhSt were at worst 50/50 calls, and were more likely 100% the correct calls.

Like my old coach always said, “if your play requires the refs to decide, then you didn’t truly earn it.“

wait, did I just say I was sympathetic to Wisky?

I am more sympathetic to Wisky than OhSt. I thought the calls against OhSt were at worst 50/50 calls, and were more likely 100% the correct calls.

Like my old coach always said, “if your play requires the refs to decide, then you didn’t truly earn it.“

I did not watch the Rose Bowl yet but The OSU game that fumble for a TD that got called back was horrible and was a turning point of the game(one of a few) had that play stood the game has a different outcome and in my opinion was called correctly on the field and incorrectly overturned

as for the badgers well you cannot turn the ball over 4 times in a big game and expect to win no matter what the calls were. But I will wait until I see the full game to really side with Becky on the calls

OSU blew their game by scoring 4 times in the first half and netting 16 points.

Budgieville had 4 turnovers and was 5-17 on third down.

Screw their bad feelings about officiating.

The OSU game that fumble for a TD that got called back was horrible and was a turning point of the game...in my opinion was called correctly on the field and incorrectly overturned

I believe your assessment of the impact of that play is spot on.

That was one of the plays I thought was a 50/50 call. I know what I saw, but I don’t know the rules. It sounded like they were pretty technical and nuanced (like what’s a “football move”?). Anyway, I haven’t had the training and so I couldn’t say one way or the other. What I do know is the refs had a good view from all the angles and there wasn’t just one set of eyes making the call to overturn.
All that being said, Herbstreit agreed with you and he is pretty football smart IMO.

Ohio State was hosed. That overturn easily as egregious as the Leidner targeting overturn. It took 7 points off the board late in the game.

Wisconsin had I believe a -3 turnover differential. Maybe they go down and score if that OPI wasn’t called, maybe they don’t but overall very, very tough to win being careless with the ball like that and credit to Oregon for forcing the turnovers. There are usually a few ticky tack holding calls or egregious non calls every game and WI is the last team in earth that should complain about holding,

That offensive pass interference was a terrible call vs anyone (Wisc, MN, anyone)

I missed the offensive PI call for Wisconsin but that punt by Wisconsin was not a good play. Also Barry was looking pretty salty in the stands :)

Top Bottom