Even if we lose tonight...

Gopherholefan

Reaction score
at least we get to listen to the best announcer in college basketball, Gus Johnson. Gus Johnson and Jim Jackson calling the game according to PA this morning.

It helps that some of the leaders have lost recently.

"Even if we lose tonight"???

What kinda crazy talk is that?

Winning tonight would be huge. It would lay Michigan to rest and allow us margin for error on our three home games. A win tonight means 2 of 3 at home and we are lock city. Lose tonight and we have to sweep the home games or go to the finals of the BTT to be a lock.

I'm skipping out early from my night class to watch this game. They (more so Tubby) better not disappoint. I'm looking for a change in the starting line-up. Something to get a good start and possibly lead, not follow after the first/second TV timeout. I say start Carter for Iverson and Devoe for LW. Let LW come off of the bench like he did earlier in the year. He can watch the game, feel the flow, and maybe bring some offense to the court again. Bringing Carter for Iverson clears out the middle for Ralph to do his work. He's been our only semi-solid scorer on the low block all year long.

Just my 0.02 though.

Also- trading Carter for Iverson should also clear more driving lanes for Carter and Nolen to either get to the bucket and draw the D and drop it down, or kick it out.

Dont get me wrong, I hope we win (and I think we will, I picked us in the PPD!). I'm just looking for a silver lining in this game, and I think we got one with Gus J calling the game!

Also- trading Carter for Iverson should also clear more driving lanes for Carter and Nolen to either get to the bucket and draw the D and drop it down, or kick it out.

1) I can't remember the last time Colt Iverson dived on the floor scrapping for the ball. And that's what endeared him to us fans so much by getting so many floor burns earlier this year.

2) Sampson at PF is just not working. And the biggest reason is that he is barely drawing iron on his 8-15 foot wide open shots. That means that when Ralph isl in the high post, the other team can cheat toward the basket and an entry pass to Iverson is just that much more difficult.

3) With Sampson starting at center, those token attempts to pass the ball into the middle that we see early in every game, but are seemingly forgotten about later, would go to a guy that has shown a better touch around the basket.

4) Carter is more active on defense and may be the Gopher's best rebounder, but he's still a well below average shooter. Where Ralph can't make a perimeter shot, but is decent near the hoop, Carter has his troubles inside and out, although he will get hot once in every 8-10 games.

5) Next year Royce White and Trevor Mbakwe will be options #1 and #2 at PF.

This is more of a must-win for Michigan than it is the Gophers, but the Gophers better play like it's a must-win. The Gophers are being presented another opportunity to all but lock up an at-large bid, but down the stretch they've more resembled a NIT team than a NCAA team. Once again, they can start changing that perception, while at the same time putting a serious crimp in Michigan's NCAA hopes.

Top Bottom