Even A NCAA Tournament Traditionalist Could Support A "Double Champs" Field of 96

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Even A NCAA Tournament Traditionalist Could Support A "Double Champs" Field of 96

Column: Even A NCAA Tournament Traditionalist Could Support A "Double Champs" Field of 96
By BuzzKing (@Fieldof68Freak)

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/737073?referrer_id=331171

STADIUM VILLAGE, MN -- Trust me, as a NCAA Tournament traditionalist, I never thought I'd be typing the words to follow.

I have never been one for expanding the NCAA Tournament. Why mess with what's clearly working, right? But wait, hold that thought. In what will be a surprise to some, I've gradually changed my tune in the last year or two with regards to NCAA Tournament expansion.

I've grown weary watching quality mid-majors like Old Dominion (2015), Monmouth (2016), and Valparaiso (2016) get snubbed for at-large bids in favor of "power conference" schools like UCLA (2015) and Vanderbilt (2016), both selections which still have me scratching my head in disbelief.

Here's another shocker. I'd actually be in support of an idea Coach K tossed out there a few years ago, and some of you know how I feel about Coach K (blech)! Though I strongly disagree with the number of teams Coach Alphabet mentioned -- I believe it was 128 -- he suggested expanding the NCAA tourney field to include all conference champions (regular season & conference tournament) receiving automatic bids. I love that idea, so long as the field wouldn't expand beyond 96 teams.

The first and most important thing that would do is allow more access to the Tournament for the mid- and small-major conferences. I'm all for that, despite being a fan of a power-conference team. The second thing it would do is cause the number of at-large bids to vary from year to year. ... there'd be no set number like 36, like there is now.

If every one of the 32 regular-season champions also won the conference tournament, there would be 64 at-large bids. Conversely, if there was a different (tournament) champion in all 32 conferences, there'd only be 32 at-large bids. Obviously, each season the number would fluctuate between 32 and 64 at-large bids. I think it'd be pretty cool to have a "floating" number of at-large bids.

So you ask, "But what if a school -- especially one from a smaller conference -- wins the regular-season automatic bid and then decides to rest some of its key players?" for the conference tournament, thus allowing or all but assuring its conference gets an additional NCAA representative? Simple answer, in my book.

Any team that does double duty and wins both the regular season and conference tournament gets an automatic bye into the Round of 64. Size, status, or brand name of your conference? Does not matter one iota. A double-champ from the Horizon or Summit, etc. is = to a double-champ from the B1G or ACC, etc. Win both, and it's guaranteed you don't have to play the extra game (32 games in the Round of 96).

And yes, the conference tournaments would still matter, especially to a regular-season champion from a smaller conference. To wit, can you imagine the incentive for a double-champion from a league like the SWAC getting a pass to the Round of 64, while other higher-ranked and presumably better teams (in the eyes of the Selection Committee) have to play on Day 1 of the Tournament?

Yes, this could present some odd Round of 64 match-ups (if there are an inordinate number of double-champs), but so be it. Generally speaking, most seasons the best 15 or 16 teams in the country will be getting byes to the Round of 64. Those are the teams the Selection Committee tries to protect, anyways.

This specific "Field of 96" scenario is the only Tournament expansion I'd support. If it was expanded to 96 without the double-champ deal, no thanks. Then all it is is another expansion aimed to get more middlin' (read: not all that deserving) power-conference teams more at-large bids. At minimum, with the double-champs reward, the field definitely would have more smaller-conference representation in numbers, if not necessarily in percentage of teams in the field.

Your thoughts? Agreements and/or disagreements are welcomed, encouraged.

Interesting read, you definitely make a good case for 96 and you have a good solution to ensure that regular season champs don't dump the conference tournament.

The fear is it will definitely diminish the regular season, which is already an issue for college basketball. If 10 or so teams in the Big Ten regularly make the Tournament, I fear it takes the importance away from many of the conference games as there is less urgency for teams in the 7-10 range.

I do think we'll move in this direction at some point.

Go Gophers!!

Good point Bleed, that's the danger. I just get the feeling we're headed that way sometime in the near future anyways (see proliferation of bowl games). So if they're going to do it be creative and reward both champions, which would assure more mid- and small majors get bids.

I'm certainly not in a hurry to go beyond 68!

IF 96 teams made the tourney there would be absolutely no reason to watch the regular season. I think it would really hurt in the long run

It would hurt the regular season and make March Madness so long/complicated that casual fans would check out. Hard pass. Smaller conferences should either reward their bids to the regular season champ or have a play-off between regular season and tourney champ if necessary.

Bring it back to 64.

I highly doubt the power schools feel a need to divvy up the tourney money in more ways.

As mentioned, there's also a problem with incentives if you let the regular season and conference champion into the tourney with auto bids.

There are already at least a dozen (if not more) mediocre at large teams in the tournament each year. I don't want another 60.

And yes, bring it back to 64. I have never watched a play in game and do not ever plan to.

Another way around this is to take a page from college football, and say that any non Power-6 school that has an RPI in the top 50 (or 40) is guaranteed a bid.

Another way around this is to take a page from college football, and say that any non Power-6 school that has an RPI in the top 50 (or 40) is guaranteed a bid.

Isn't there usually some small conference team, Southern Miss or something, who gets an RPI in the 30's or 40's and misses the tournament because they kind of "beat the system" and get a good RPI with a lackluster schedule?

Isn't there usually some small conference team, Southern Miss or something, who gets an RPI in the 30's or 40's and misses the tournament because they kind of "beat the system" and get a good RPI with a lackluster schedule?

Once in a while. But it's usually those teams in the 30's that people get upset about being passed over. I'm OK with occasionally letting in a 'paper tiger' if it lets in at least as many deserving teams and negates the need to ruin the tournament by making it any bigger.

All good thoughts, folks. No argument here with 68 (or going back to 64). Working on a "sample" 96-team "double champs" bracket just to give a feel what it would look like. Will post it when finished. Might be 2-3 days.

There's a sweet spot, a right size for the field, and 64 seems to be it. Teams with nice wins and reasonably distinguished records tend to get in, and teams that have just stumbled through the season tend not to. Every at-large team in a field of 64 has some things going for them, are somewhat formidable and have special players worth watching.

Conference tournaments are basically an extension of March Madness for most schools. If you aren't good enough to win a Non-Power 5 conference tournament you probably aren't going to make much noise in the tourney.

Column: Even A NCAA Tournament Traditionalist Could Support A "Double Champs" Field of 96
By BuzzKing (@Fieldof68Freak)

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/737073?referrer_id=331171

STADIUM VILLAGE, MN -- Trust me, as a NCAA Tournament traditionalist, I never thought I'd be typing the words to follow.

I have never been one for expanding the NCAA Tournament. Why mess with what's clearly working, right? But wait, hold that thought. In what will be a surprise to some, I've gradually changed my tune in the last year or two with regards to NCAA Tournament expansion.

I've grown weary watching quality mid-majors like Old Dominion (2015), Monmouth (2016), and Valparaiso (2016) get snubbed for at-large bids in favor of "power conference" schools like UCLA (2015) and Vanderbilt (2016), both selections which still have me scratching my head in disbelief.

Here's another shocker. I'd actually be in support of an idea Coach K tossed out there a few years ago, and some of you know how I feel about Coach K (blech)! Though I strongly disagree with the number of teams Coach Alphabet mentioned -- I believe it was 128 -- he suggested expanding the NCAA tourney field to include all conference champions (regular season & conference tournament) receiving automatic bids. I love that idea, so long as the field wouldn't expand beyond 96 teams.

The first and most important thing that would do is allow more access to the Tournament for the mid- and small-major conferences. I'm all for that, despite being a fan of a power-conference team. The second thing it would do is cause the number of at-large bids to vary from year to year. ... there'd be no set number like 36, like there is now.

If every one of the 32 regular-season champions also won the conference tournament, there would be 64 at-large bids. Conversely, if there was a different (tournament) champion in all 32 conferences, there'd only be 32 at-large bids. Obviously, each season the number would fluctuate between 32 and 64 at-large bids. I think it'd be pretty cool to have a "floating" number of at-large bids.

So you ask, "But what if a school -- especially one from a smaller conference -- wins the regular-season automatic bid and then decides to rest some of its key players?" for the conference tournament, thus allowing or all but assuring its conference gets an additional NCAA representative? Simple answer, in my book.

Any team that does double duty and wins both the regular season and conference tournament gets an automatic bye into the Round of 64. Size, status, or brand name of your conference? Does not matter one iota. A double-champ from the Horizon or Summit, etc. is = to a double-champ from the B1G or ACC, etc. Win both, and it's guaranteed you don't have to play the extra game (32 games in the Round of 96).

And yes, the conference tournaments would still matter, especially to a regular-season champion from a smaller conference. To wit, can you imagine the incentive for a double-champion from a league like the SWAC getting a pass to the Round of 64, while other higher-ranked and presumably better teams (in the eyes of the Selection Committee) have to play on Day 1 of the Tournament?

Yes, this could present some odd Round of 64 match-ups (if there are an inordinate number of double-champs), but so be it. Generally speaking, most seasons the best 15 or 16 teams in the country will be getting byes to the Round of 64. Those are the teams the Selection Committee tries to protect, anyways.

This specific "Field of 96" scenario is the only Tournament expansion I'd support. If it was expanded to 96 without the double-champ deal, no thanks. Then all it is is another expansion aimed to get more middlin' (read: not all that deserving) power-conference teams more at-large bids. At minimum, with the double-champs reward, the field definitely would have more smaller-conference representation in numbers, if not necessarily in percentage of teams in the field.

Your thoughts? Agreements and/or disagreements are welcomed, encouraged.

If you aren't good enough to win a Non-Power 5 conference tournament you probably aren't going to make much noise in the tourney.

Gonzaga
George Mason
VCU
La Salle
Wichita State
Dayton

All non-Power 5, all went to at least the Sweet 16 recently as an at-large.

I think I prefer it the way it is. I don't want the regular season to not mean much.

The NCAA tourney would be better if regular season conference champions get an auto bid instead of tourney champions. That way teams are "stealing" bids by upsetting a top seed in their conference tourney.

But at the same time, taking away the significance of the conference tournaments would suck for college basketball as a whole. Leave it as is.

Keep it at 68 (or back to 64) and the regular season champs of the mid major conferences should get the auto-bid, not the conference tourney winners. This would put the best (and most deserving) teams in the tourney with the best chance of actually pulling upsets.

I don't particularly care that it would hurt the ratings of the conference tournaments. The tourneys that get ratings are the major conference tournaments anyway.

Here's A Sample 96-Team "Double-Champs" Field of 96

This is a hypothetical Field of 96 based loosely on the current KenPom rankings. In this 96-team field I have 53 automatic bids (42 single-champs, 11 double-champs) and 43 at-large bids. The 11 double-champs are: Vermont (America East); Duke (ACC); North Dakota (Big Sky); Kansas (Big XII); Princeton (Ivy); NCCU (MEAC); UCLA (Pac 12); Kentucky (SEC); Chattanooga (Southern); Sam Houston State (Southland); and Texas-Arlington (Sun Belt).

Those are the 11 conferences that last season had a team win both the regular season and conference tournament championships. Under the proposed format those 11 double-champs receive byes into the Round of 64.

If you look closely I think what you'll see is the Round of 64 would have more compelling match-ups with a 96-team format, but the Round of 96 (32 games) wouldn't be as "must-see TV" like the Round of 64 is now.

East Regional
#1 *Villanova vs. #16 NC State/#17 VCU winner
#8 **Vermont vs. #9 Florida State/#24 *NJIT winner

#4 USC vs. #13 Minnesota/#20 *Lehigh winner
#5 *Cincinnati vs. #12 Maryland/#21 *Iona winner

#2 *Gonzaga vs. #15 *NC-Wilmington/#18 *Monmouth winner
#7 **Princeton vs. #10 Oklahoma State#23 *Texas Southern winner

#3 Virginia vs. #14 Michigan State/#19 *Old Dominion winner
#6 Notre Dame vs. #11 *SMU/#22 *Bucknell winner

Midwest Regional
#1 **Kansas vs. #16 BYU/#17 *Middle Tennessee winner
#8 **Sam Houston State vs. #9 Michigan/#24 *LIU winner

#4 Indiana vs. #13 Wake Forest/#20 *Fort Wayne winner
#5 *Butler vs. #12 *Dayton/#21 *Ohio winner

#2 Louisville vs. #15 Georgetown/#18 *Akron winner
#7 **Texas-Arlington vs. #10 South Carolina/#23 *North Dakota State winner

#3 West Virginia vs. #14 Northwestern/#19 *Valparaiso winner
#6 *Wichita State vs. #11 Virginia Tech/#22 *Winthrop winner

South Regional
#1 Baylor vs. #16 Georgia/#17 Colorado winner
#8 **NCCU vs. #9 Oregon/#24 *Wagner winner

#4 *Purdue vs. #13 Seton Hall/#20 *Bakersfield winner
#5 Arizona vs. #12 Marquette/#21 *Tennessee State winner

#2 **Kentucky vs. #15 Oklahoma/#18 *Illinois State winner
#7 **Chattanooga vs. #10 Kansas State/#23 *UC-Irvine winner

#3 North Carolina vs. #14 Cal/#19 *Florida Gulf Coast winner
#6 Clemson vs. #11 Texas A&M/#22 *NC-Asheville winner

West Regional
#1 **UCLA vs. #16 Pitt/#17 *San Diego State winner
#8 **North Dakota vs. #9 Miami-Florida/#24 *Southern winner

#4 *Wisconsin vs. #13 *Rhode Island/#20 *Oakland winner
#5 Xavier vs. #12 Arkansas/#21 *New Mexico State winner

#2 **Duke vs. #15 Houston/#18 *Nevada winner
#7 *Saint Mary's vs. #10 Iowa State/#23 *Long Beach State winner

#3 Creighton vs. #14 Texas Tech/#19 *College of Charleston winner
#6 Florida vs. #11 TCU/#22 *Belmont winner

Last 4 In: BYU, Colorado, Georgia, VCU

First 4 Out: Davidson, Ohio State, Providence, Syracuse

Next 4 Out: Illinois, Iowa, Texas, Utah

Bids by Conference
ACC (12), Big XII (9), B1G (8), Big East (7), Pac 12 (6), SEC (6), American (3), Atlantic 10 (3), West Coast (3), Atlantic Sun (2), Big South (2), Big West (2), Colonial (2), Conference USA (2), Horizon (2), Metro Atlantic (2), MAC (2), Missouri Valley (2), Mountain West (2), Northeast (2), Ohio Valley (2), Patriot (2), SWAC (2), Summit (2), WAC (2), America East (1), Big Sky (1), Ivy (1), MEAC (1), Southern (1), Southland (1), Sun Belt (1)

Bid Breakdown
Power 6 (ACC, Big East, B1G, Big XII, Pac 12, SEC) = 48
Rest of the Field = 48

Top Bottom