ESPN's Michael Kim: Les Miles flew in to Twin Cities to meet with U officials

I'm not sure why that 2007 national championship team is held up as some impressive feat. Most of LSU's starters were Saban recruits and no team that year was really all that great. LSU entered the championship game as a two-loss team, one of those losses coming at home in November to an Arkansas team that went 8-5.

He was 114-34 overall with a 62-28 record in the SEC. Every single team he coached won at least 7 games except for his first year. It actually is a pretty good match style-wise too. If Les wants the job and Coyle doesn't offer it to him immediately then that is a more fireable offense than anything that has happened at this university for as long as I have been alive. (And yes I am including Norwood Teague.)

In addition, it is likely that Miles would keep an assistant or three for continuity. He would also be able
to reassure the recruiting commits.

Miles is a much safer, more intelligent pick, imho

I'm on board as long as he hires an exclusive clock management coach. Claeys needed one too.

I'm on board as long as he hires an exclusive clock management coach. Claeys needed one too.

I think every coach needs that nowadays. So many moving parts.....

Guys Coyle and Kaler are in Chicago to cheer on the Gopher basketball team because there playing Northwestern tonight, Fleck was never involved and it sounds like Miles will be the guy!!!

I'd be quite happy with Miles. One big criticism was his inability to recruit or develop a great QB, that is certainly a concern. However, looking at it another way, if he had done it, he'd probably still be at LSU and a complete fantasy of him coaching here. The lack of that great QB may lead to our good fortune of a real good coach. At least that is my hope.

Mack Brown was no spring chicken when UT hired him. As I recall he didn't do too badly there. The
Mad Hatter would do well at the U.

I'd be quite happy with Miles. One big criticism was his inability to recruit or develop a great QB, that is certainly a concern. However, looking at it another way, if he had done it, he'd probably still be at LSU and a complete fantasy of him coaching here. The lack of that great QB may lead to our good fortune of a real good coach. At least that is my hope.

So he's the perfect fit then!

Guys Coyle and Kaler are in Chicago to cheer on the Gopher basketball team because there playing Northwestern tonight, Fleck was never involved and it sounds like Miles will be the guy!!!

I'll be at the game tonight so if I see them I'll get the inside information and post it on GH.

So, WE'VE cooled on Fleck then?

So, WE'VE cooled on Fleck then?

Its very possible. Maybe he's one of those coaches who is so sold on himself that he's waiting for a truly
huge payday (beyond what the U can pay) to come along. Maybe he came across as a little too caustic for
a highly sensitive situation that the U has right now. I'm not part of the conversations, so all I can do is
speculate. Maybe he came across as too demanding and hard to work with.

Les Miles would bring instant credibility to the current players and recruits, and they would rally to him.
His experience would also settle down the situation considerably. Plus, I don't envision there being a step-back
in year one with Miles as there might be with Fleck, who just might tear everything down to build it back up his way.
Miles doesn't have that kind of time, and he'll want to win games right away.

Just speculation on my part, fwiw

Will you give us a complete report Heckel & Jeckel? We want to know every detail.

I can't believe there are people on here who'd be against Les as coach.

Think about this for a second there is apparently a coach who's won a NC in the last 10 years doing so playing not only in the toughest conference in college football,but also the toughest division in college football and he's interested in coming here... Meanwhile the "here" we speak of is a school that just fired a coach that won 9 games and a bowl.To get national championship coach to come to coach at a school where the job security doesn't seem to be very strong would be rather unbelievable if you ask me.I also don't care if the guy is 63 I don't care if he's 83 the man can coach and his pedigree alone should make anyone ecstatic if he is to come here.

Andy Greder
‏@andygreder
Just received a message that throws a bucket of cold water on this afternoon's report about former LSU coach Les Miles being in Minnesota.

That's because Miles was actually in Chicago under double secret wraps.

Top Bottom