ESPN: Wide Receiver tiers in the draft

It should be noted after the Bowl game there was not a single "Mock Draft" that did not have TJ going after AW. 2nd and 3rd round mostly with a few going 4th round. Now it seems most have him pegged between 4th - 6th rounds. It is amazing how not participating in the Senior Bowl and Combine has hurt his stock. I know he was told to focus on his pro day but wonder if he lost some momentum on his draft stock. I suspect he will go 3rd or 4th unless he knocks it out of the park on his pro day.

That was the talk before the combine. There were 55 WRs at the combine.

That many players may hurt his stock after not running the 40.
The other thing - waiting until Pro Day he will miss on many evaluators from all the teams. Did he get bad advice? Let's hope he runs 4.60 or better.

I would take CeeDee Lamb over anyone else by far. Just a special talent.
Tyler’s only knock is the drops and it’s a big one. Especially the Iowa game. But unlike a Troy Williamson, Tyler has incredible hands. Pure concentration lapse. Tyler will get a chance for sure, I imagine being slighted could fuel him. His game seems like a great fit for the NFL

Nobody knows the draft order. Let’s just see what happens. If he runs decently in Minneapolis he‘ll move up. I think (some) coaches and staff are more sensitive than they will ever admit to public opinion about their draft picks. They don’t want to be seen as drafting a reach which is why one of either pre-draft massive hype or strong measurables is a safe haven on draft day. If they can actually play and produce all the better.

Very interesting......

I've never understood the "he lacks top end speed" comments.

This play, the Oregon State 60 yard TD his sophomore year, Ga Southern 60 yard TD and the Auburn deep ball are the four plays that to me show he has pretty good speed. He may not be as fast as Myrick, Berkley Edwards or Terrel Smith and won't run a 4.2 or 4.3 but I've always considered him pretty fast.

Dajon Mcknight and Wolitarsky are guys who I would say lacked top end speed to excel in the NFL, not TJ.

Of all of the games I watched TJ play, I do not ever recall thinking "Wow that guy is slow"!

I've never understood the "he lacks top end speed" comments.

This play, the Oregon State 60 yard TD his sophomore year, Ga Southern 60 yard TD and the Auburn deep ball are the four plays that to me show he has pretty good speed. He may not be as fast as Myrick, Berkley Edwards or Terrel Smith and won't run a 4.2 or 4.3 but I've always considered him pretty fast.

Dajon Mcknight and Wolitarsky are guys who I would say lacked top end speed to excel in the NFL, not TJ.

I would say he runs as fast as he needs to, and doesn’t get caught from behind. I still don’t understand what the NFL doesn’t like about his tape (other than concentration drops, which is a legit concern). This “character concern” thing probably has more to do with it than any of us are willing to admit, even though none of us know what the supposed “concerns” are, or whether there’s any validity to the claims. It’s bizarre.

I would say he runs as fast as he needs to, and doesn’t get caught from behind. I still don’t understand what the NFL doesn’t like about his tape (other than concentration drops, which is a legit concern). This “character concern” thing probably has more to do with it than any of us are willing to admit, even though none of us know what the supposed “concerns” are, or whether there’s any validity to the claims. It’s bizarre.

I just think they "experts" are waiting to see what his 40 time looks like before they truly rank him. If he runs a decent 40 I would expect him to shoot up the draft rankings at the WR position. But until he runs they just can't get a read on him.

It is interesting though how he does not seem to be getting a ton of love from NFL circles. Will be very interesting to see how much that changes after he runs the 40, or if it even changes at all.

I just think they "experts" are waiting to see what his 40 time looks like before they truly rank him. If he runs a decent 40 I would expect him to shoot up the draft rankings at the WR position. But until he runs they just can't get a read on him.

It is interesting though how he does not seem to be getting a ton of love from NFL circles. Will be very interesting to see how much that changes after he runs the 40, or if it even changes at all.

It started when he didn’t get a Senior Bowl invite....before any prospect had run a 40. Jim Nagy tweeted that the NFL isn’t as high on him as “Draft Twitter” last November. Sure, if he were to run a sub 4.5, it could be a game changer, but that’s not going to happen. Again, I’m not looking at this as what I think of him as a player, or where I think he should be drafted, but the general attitude the NFL appears to have about him, based on the information that is available to all of us. Could there be teams secretly scheming to pull down his stock, hoping to grab him in the 6th round? I suppose it’s possible, but we can only speculate (or hope?) about things like that.

They don’t need his 40 time to know how fast he is, as that tweet above from the other night proves. Play speed is all that matters, and he’s clearly fast enough.

It started when he didn’t get a Senior Bowl invite....before any prospect had run a 40. Jim Nagy tweeted that the NFL isn’t as high on him as “Draft Twitter” last November. Sure, if he were to run a sub 4.5, it could be a game changer, but that’s not going to happen. Again, I’m not looking at this as what I think of him as a player, or where I think he should be drafted, but the general attitude the NFL appears to have about him, based on the information that is available to all of us. Could there be teams secretly scheming to pull down his stock, hoping to grab him in the 6th round? I suppose it’s possible, but we can only speculate (or hope?) about things like that.

They don’t need his 40 time to know how fast he is, as that tweet above from the other night proves. Play speed is all that matters, and he’s clearly fast enough.

Nailed it. Some people want him on the cheap. They know he is a hidden gem, but are not willing to disclose it publicly. At least until he runs the combine and then everyone starts to notice.

I think people are cherry picking a few data points to reach a conclusion as to "what the NFL as a whole thinks about TJ". It is flawed to say what the consensus is based on a few tweets and ESPN articles.

Very interesting......
If the NFL wanted to take this into consideration, they could (also) test the "fly 40", which is the time it takes to run 40 yards with a running start. I guess I don't see why they wouldn't, to be honest.

sure hope my colts get a decent WR out of all this talent

Top Bottom