ESPN: Wide Receiver tiers in the draft

Maybe scouts are being coy about Mr. Johnson. He'll be drafted.

Perhaps the scouts just have not ranked him yet because they don't know his baseline speed for. In the NFL separation matters a lot and even great route runners need to be quick. I am sure they know how they would rank him if he had a 4.4 or 4.7 but the range is so broad they list him on the low end. There is no way with the right speed he is not listed higher.

First of all, people in the NFL are liars. Ask who they like and they will pull out an extensive list of players NOT on their draft board. NFL scounts, GMs, and personnel people make the CIA look like a transparent organization. Okay, so if NOBODY likes TJ, then by my twisted logic he goes in the 1st round. Well, I actually have him going in the 4th round but hey....

Do I really need to post this again?

“...We polled scouts, pro personnel executives, coaches and general managers -- and rolled the tape -- to help us put this receivers class into tiers,...”
Great I'll wait for the draft.

If he doesn't get drafted, I hope he signs as a FA somewhere and then does his best to impress in spring camp!

As a fan I would be ok if he even signed with the Packers and actually played. This is also because I'm a Packer fan. I love winning and love TJ.

Cephus is the one that caught my eye. Identical size to TJ, 4.73 in the 40, some legal problems in his background, and nowhere near as productive. Not sure why anyone would rank him above Johnson.
Because he went to Wisconsin and Johnson didn’t.

If he doesn't get drafted, I hope he signs as a FA somewhere and then does his best to impress in spring camp!
Insightful.

If he doesn’t get drafted, you hope he signs as a free agent and then does his best to impress in camp.

Early favorite for the “So-obvious-it-goes-without-saying-much-less-posting” award. Only real competition is this post.

I am also hoping a giant meteor doesn’t smash into earth killing all of all.

Insightful.

If he doesn’t get drafted, you hope he signs as a free agent and then does his best to impress in camp.

Early favorite for the “So-obvious-it-goes-without-saying-much-less-posting” award. Only real competition is this post.

I am also hoping a giant meteor doesn’t smash into earth killing all of all.
I hope I make a lot of money this year

The Vikings should take him in Round 5 or 6 at the latest.

Scouts, analysts, coaches disagree on players - story at 11!

Any long time fan takes this scout analysis hoopla with a grain of salt. As with college recruiting so goes NFL drafting. The top tier is generally consensus yet many will flop, maybe up to half, and yep, the hit rate slides from there but there are plenty of overlooked studs. Sure, there aren’t a lot of diamonds in round 7 but there are definitely many in that 3-5 round range that carve out long careers.

I'm sure if you looked at all the tape of the receivers that can high point the catch, that there is nothing better that TJ. If so who is it? Oh ya maybe he dropped a few back in the day but who hasn't . I'd put money on him...

Seems like all scouts, pro personnel executives, coaches, and general managers are all DINKS!!!!

Apparently, many of them may have not watched the Outback Bowl and/or have seen TJ's 200+ yards performance. This is against one of the top defenses in the country.

Maybe scouts are being coy about Mr. Johnson. He'll be drafted.

I can see Green Bay doing that. TJ would be the type of sure option wide receiver teams coveted. TJ knows how to keep open and can sense when a QB is in trouble. Time and time again, we've seen how he works his way to keep himself open.

Somewhere I read that Aaron Rodgers is not happy with his second option wide receiver. He is looking for a WR who senses when a QB is in trouble.

He may be the silent assasin of this draft class. There's no way I will put Quintez Cephus ahead of TJ.

QC has true character issues, and TJ is victimized by urban legend rumor. TJ has maturity, humility, and better overall skillset.

The team that drafts him will be very pleased.

Last edited:

It is seemingly very easy to push the indignation button.
The only poll, list, opinions that matter are what actually happens on draft day when real money is at stake.
Many a FA became a starter and many first round picks flamed out so calm down.

Maybe it's all a "I'm not sharing my secret on who I'm drafting" scenario. If TJ's a bit under the radar and you're interested in picking him, the last thing you're going to do is give his name to some ESPN reporter.

Cephus is the one that caught my eye. Identical size to TJ, 4.73 in the 40, some legal problems in his background, and nowhere near as productive. Not sure why anyone would rank him above Johnson.
A great time to be alive. Being accused of something you are later acquitted of should not equate to “legal problems”. If it did, AWjr11 would be dropping down the draft board too.

It isn’t consensus he’s a late round pick. This seems like a game of a guy talked to a guy that talked to a guy. Can we compile a list of projections?

A great time to be alive. Being accused of something you are later acquitted of should not equate to “legal problems”. If it did, AWjr11 would be dropping down the draft board too.
True, but those are not remotely similar situations. AW jr went to the party to break it up, not participate. Cephus hopped into bed with two drunk girls (one possibly incapacitated?) and then admitted to lying to police about his teammate (also suspended 2 games) having taken pictures of it. Went to trial for 2nd and 3rd degree sexual assault. Not a criminal conviction but definitely fits the definition of "legal problems."

True, but those are not remotely similar situations. AW jr went to the party to break it up, not participate. Cephus hopped into bed with two drunk girls (one possibly incapacitated?) and then admitted to lying to police about his teammate (also suspended 2 games) having taken pictures of it. Went to trial for 2nd and 3rd degree sexual assault. Not a criminal conviction but definitely fits the definition of "legal problems."

He was found not guilty in record time at jury trial after evidence emerged the girls were not truthful. That’s why the school welcomed him back, cleared his record and he played a key role in our defeat last season.

Again, what a time to be alive. Even when acquitted folks still assume some level of guilt.

I
Again, what a time to be alive. Even when acquitted folks still assume some level of guilt.

He was acquitted, but prospective NFL suitors still reserve the right to question him about it, and they will. AWjr might even be asked about the 2016 incident, unless they’ve already been briefed about it by his attorneys/agent.

I

He was acquitted, but prospective NFL suitors still reserve the right to question him about it, and they will. AWjr might even be asked about the 2016 incident, unless they’ve already been briefed about it by his attorneys/agent.
Of course they reserve the right to question him. I was objecting to the statement that he has had “legal problems”. That mentality is a big problem in today’s society. Gopher fans should know this better than anyone.

Of course they reserve the right to question him. I was objecting to the statement that he has had “legal problems”. That mentality is a big problem in today’s society. Gopher fans should know this better than anyone.
Yes, I absolutely agree the "cancel culture" and trial-by-social-media thing is beyond ridiculous. At no point did I express an opinion about his guilt or innocence or character. However, right or wrong, being accused of sexual assault, arrested for sexual assault, suspended from school, suspended from the team, and going to trial for 2 felonies can fairly be described as a "legal problem" for Cephus. It is what it is and can only hurt his marketability in the draft, simply because some teams won't want that baggage or potential risk. That was my only point originally.

It should be noted after the Bowl game there was not a single "Mock Draft" that did not have TJ going after AW. 2nd and 3rd round mostly with a few going 4th round. Now it seems most have him pegged between 4th - 6th rounds. It is amazing how not participating in the Senior Bowl and Combine has hurt his stock. I know he was told to focus on his pro day but wonder if he lost some momentum on his draft stock. I suspect he will go 3rd or 4th unless he knocks it out of the park on his pro day.

Top Bottom