ESPN: Who are the Big Ten's coaching villains?

No mention of what BB did with the kickoff before halftime against Penn State a few years back? Disappointing...

He's pretty new to the conference but I'm surprised there was no mention of Hoke. He's brought the arrogance back to Michigan, he's at a much more relevant school, nationally, than MSU and Wisky. Never thought of MD from Michigan State as much of a "villain". Largely a class act that just happens to be very successful.

I agree, Ogee. Dantonio has always been viewed as a very good and classy coach through my eyes. Hoke's 'Ohio' remarks and reviving scUM's arrogance is far more villainous than anything Dantonio has done.

I don't know...I don't see Dantonio as a villain, per se. But I also don't have an inherent hate of MSU either. I do see him as an arrogant prick.

Its one thing to hang the black hat on the coaches who have been winning. But to earn a black hat, to be a villain, to be hated you need to not only win but add more than a little smugness. Hang an hundred on teams in the Non Conference. Go for two and when you are up by 21 and claim its on the card. You know where I am going. There is only on villlain worthy of being hated by every other team and their fans. Tell me you did not relish him being unable to score against TCU when the card indicated he needed it. There is only one, and he is Coach BB.

No mention of "guess it's a good time to be a Badger fan"?

My impression is that Hoke is just as big an ass as BB, time will tell.

Its one thing to hang the black hat on the coaches who have been winning. But to earn a black hat, to be a villain, to be hated you need to not only win but add more than a little smugness. Hang an hundred on teams in the Non Conference. Go for two and when you are up by 21 and claim its on the card. You know where I am going. There is only on villlain worthy of being hated by every other team and their fans. Tell me you did not relish him being unable to score against TCU when the card indicated he needed it. There is only one, and he is Coach BB.

He hung 80 points on teams. He went for 2 when he was up by 25. I know I'm nit-picking. But that's only because dpodoll hasn't posted here yet. lol

And both Rose Bowl games were good times to be a Bad-.. Oh, nevermind.

This is probably a good place to repost these (taken from the Occupy Bielema tumblr feed.)
tumblr_lytv6omsSC1r67niso1_500.jpg

tumblr_lyu25xyRFh1r67niso1_500.jpg

I'll take "Don't burn a timeout early in the 3rd for the sole purpose of screaming at the refs" for $100, Alex.

Villian my a**. He wins. With recruiting classes that do not usually compare well with Mich or OSU. Oh that we only had a head cach that everyone hated. If the Brew didn't like him to going for two he should have stopped him.

Villian my a**. He wins. With recruiting classes that do not usually compare well with Mich or OSU. Oh that we only had a head cach that everyone hated. If the Brew didn't like him to going for two he should have stopped him.
You can win and still be a villian. Through the years, sports has been littered with an array of pricks, jerks and a-holes who have all been very good at what they do. Doesn't make them good guys just because they win.

I think the "Good time to be a Wisconsin fan" quote was the one that really got under people's skin. I didn't care so much about the going for two, it's a rivalry game. (I liked Woody Hayes's quote about that when asked why he went for two once: "Because I couldn't for three.") Both teams playing for the axe should try to -- cleanly -- score as many points as possible.

But hanging 80-something on Indiana for no reason whatsoever is kind of a jerk move.

I didn't care so much about the going for two, it's a rivalry game. (I liked Woody Hayes's quote about that when asked why he went for two once: "Because I couldn't for three.") Both teams playing for the axe should try to -- cleanly -- score as many points as possible.

I didn't care about the act so much, it was the "justification" that made me shake my head and check off another in the list of dbag traits the man exhibits. You can't compare him to Woody on this one because Woody OWNED his decision (see your quote). Brett went with "because the card said so" which was just silly given the situation. If he'd owned the decision as part of the rivalry then ok.

Bielema is easily #1 because of his immaturity. He's been very successful, but has shown very little humility while doing so. He's a man-child.

I'll go with Urban Meyer a distant #2, simply because he's the media's self-appointed wonderboy. If we listen to the media, you'd think the rest of the Big Ten should just crawl into a hole & die now that Wonderboy is at Ohio State.

The rest of the B1G's coaches. ... I don't find any of them particularly villainous, have done nothing to make me dislike them.

Back in the day the Big 8 was dominated by Bud Wilkenson. He was not a villan. He I think was suceeded by Chuck Fairbanks who did have time to be one. But on to the seen came Barry Switzer. He initiated the hang a half a hundred. He ran his mouth and well as the score. Switzer was slick, smug, and accomplished. He was truely a villian. Now in the Big 10 no one, not even Woody Hayes could compare. The Wisconsin turn around with another Barry, but Alvarez was not hated. Coach Buliemia has that smuggness, and he adds the dumb jock to the equation, he is ego driven. I therefore give the Switzer Award to Coach Buliemia.

You can't compare him to Woody on this one because Woody OWNED his decision (see your quote).
I completely agree. If you're going to be arrogant, be arrogant. In this case, the cover up was worse than the crime (to use that credo).

lol Really?

It's not because he wins that makes him a villian. You are missing the point, dear.

Oh, and The Gophers DID stop his two-point attempt.

Also, I think of Mike Leach hanging points on people and I never thought of him as a villain.* It goes back to GoAUpher's point of owning it. Leach said he was trying to score because he had third-stringers in the game and they deserved to play -- not just run a watered-down run the clock offense -- as much as anyone. The whole "chart" nonsense was lame. I think he would have gotten some respect for saying, "It's a rivalry game and we're going to try to score as many points as we can."

* - He is, of course, a pirate.

Also, I think of Mike Leach hanging points on people and I never thought of him as a villain.* It goes back to GoAUpher's point of owning it. Leach said he was trying to score because he had third-stringers in the game and they deserved to play -- not just run a watered-down run the clock offense -- as much as anyone. The whole "chart" nonsense was lame. I think he would have gotten some respect for saying, "It's a rivalry game and we're going to try to score as many points as we can."

* - He is, of course, a pirate.

:clap:

/CHEER!!

Top Bottom