ESPN: Way-too-early 2017 NFL mock draft has Gophers Mitch Leidner going in 1st round!

Liedner literally wouldn't start at UW-Whitewater

If a division II quarterback from NDSU goes no. 2 in the draft. Leidner should go no. 1 next year!

If a division II quarterback from NDSU goes no. 2 in the draft. Leidner should go no. 1 next year!

If you're being serious, this remark is almost as ludicrous as saying Leidner isn't good enough to start for a very good DIII school.

So if he has a year identical to last year this season, his "intangibles" and "measurables" would be enough to warrant a 1st round pick? C'mon, performance is 90% of what matters.

I said it earlier, he only has to be moderately better than last year, really just more consistent. With the schedule they have, that is easily doable. He was very good the last half of the season performance wise. If Mitch carries that kind of performance consistently through this season, I can see it happening.

Liedner literally wouldn't start at UW-Whitewater
Correct. He literally would not start there. Unless he transferred. He literally can't start there. He's not a student, so I'm pretty sure it would violate some sort of rule.

I didn't say eliminate them, I said cut them in half, we had much more than our fair share. Matt doesn't need to improve radically, just incrementally, along with the receivers incrementally improving.

Matt needs to work on more consistent snaps IMO.

He's better than people give him credit for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I said it earlier, he only has to be moderately better than last year, really just more consistent. With the schedule they have, that is easily doable. He was very good the last half of the season performance wise. If Mitch carries that kind of performance consistently through this season, I can see it happening.

Agree. He was quite good, and one thing I noticed (although it may have been a matter of perception more than reality) was that after Claeys took over and seemed to loosen the shackles a little bit offensively, Leidner looked even better. Hey, for all the guff he takes, Leidner did complete better than 60% of his passes in 5 of 8 conference games last season:

Purdue 66.7%
Nebraska 65%
Ohio State 61.4%
Iowa 70.4%
Illinois 60%

This was a drastic improvement over 2014, and RE: him getting drafted, he does have definite positive attributes beyond just size, mobility, leadership and experience, one being that he throws a very nice deep ball in which he displays both accuracy and touch. The irony with Leidner is that it often seems to be the short to middling range throws which give him the most trouble so far as accuracy goes, passes which presumably should be the easiest throws for a quarterback to complete, but that particular flaw is one which is also eminently possible to remedy, whereas if you lack the arm strength to be able to throw deeply, well then there's no fixing that.

I wouldn't necessarily see him as a first rounder, but then again last July I wouldn't have seen Donald Trump as being the Republican nominee or Carson Wentz or Paxton Lynch as being future first rounders, with the short message being that many, many, many things are possible even when they seem incredibly unlikely.

He's better than people give him credit for.

I think reasonable minds can both agree on this and also think that it's silly to think of him as a 1st round pick.

But hell, Hackenberg just went in the 2nd round so I guess anything's possible

I'll never understand Kiper and McShay?

If they were actually any good wouldn't an NFL team hire them?
If they were actually grading talent wouldn't they occasionally rate a player picked in the first round low and have a lower round player rated as higher?

Clearly they are just in it to get their list as close to the first round as possible.

If they were actually grading talent wouldn't they occasionally rate a player picked in the first round low and have a lower round player rated as higher?

Clearly they are just in it to get their list as close to the first round as possible.

I'm pretty sure the article itself said he hasn't really done much (or any) film breakdown on many of the players.

Aaron Rodgers went 24 to a team with a QB that was a helluva lot better than Romo. And his Jr. year numbers were not much better than Mitch's

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

1st Brady and now comparing Mitcheroo to A Rodg. Fellas, this is exactly what the off season is about, unrestrained off the wall team/player conversations. Ol' #7 will be benched with the phony 'injury' by the 2nd game of the BT season.

1st Brady and now comparing Mitcheroo to A Rodg. Fellas, this is exactly what the off season is about, unrestrained off the wall team/player conversations. Ol' #7 will be benched with the phony 'injury' by the 2nd game of the BT season.

A shame that we can't bench you with him.

No NFL team pays scouts anything close to what they make with their ESPN gig.

Did he gave a phony surgery too, ***********?

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

They make way more money at ESPN than any NFL scout does

Todd McShay's 2015 "way too early" draft mock had these guys going 1,2,3
1. Hackenberg
2. Cook
3. Bosa.

He also had Cardale Jones going 7th and Goff 9th)

Ignoring that he got Bosa right on the nuts, and ignoring he has to guess the player AND team, which would increase the margin of error on the draft slot, he was way way off with his 1st round QB mocks.
Hack went 51 in 2nd Rd.
Cook went 100 in 4th round
Jones went 139 in 4th round
Goff was his closest guess rising to 1st. Note he had Goff as his 4th best QB.

Mcshay had about half of his 1st round guesses right. A few things couldn't be predicted (injuries to Jack and Smith or sex assaults with Oakman and dudes kicked off teams) All in all, he's actually pretty damn close more often then not, with most of his misses being early second round guys EXCEPT for the QB position. He was by far the worst at mocking that spot.

It think that context is helpful in trying to decide if the Mitch in first round thing is something credible or not. Track record suggest no, it is not accurate but he'll probably, beyond any reason, get drafted.

Weber didn't get drafted and he was 2x the QB Mitch is. BUt that doesn't mean Mitch wont get drafted

1. Hackenberg
2. Cook
3. Bosa.

Ignoring that he got Bosa right on the nuts, and ignoring he has to guess the player AND team, which would increase the margin of error on the draft slot, he was way way off with his 1st round QB mocks.
Hack went 51 in 2nd Rd.

Mcshay had about half of his 1st round guesses right. A few things couldn't be predicted (injuries to Jack and Smith or sex assaults with Oakman and dudes kicked off teams) All in all, he's actually pretty damn close more often then not, with most of his misses being early second round guys EXCEPT for the QB position. He was by far the worst at mocking that spot.

It think that context is helpful in trying to decide if the Mitch in first round thing is something credible or not. Track record suggest no, it is not accurate but he'll probably, beyond any reason, get drafted.

Weber didn't get drafted and he was 2x the QB Mitch is. BUt that doesn't mean Mitch wont get drafted

Uh oh.

1. Hackenberg
2. Cook
3. Bosa.

Hack went 51 in 2nd Rd.

Should be good for another couple pages of posts...

Aaron Rodgers went 24 to a team with a QB that was a helluva lot better than Romo. And his Jr. year numbers were not much better than Mitch's

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

I won't get into a comparison about Rodgers and Leidner on the field, but the big rap on Rodgers coming out of college is that he was a Tedford-product whose mechanics would have to be reworked. I guess whatever the Packers did worked. I think the same thing could be said about Mitch's mechanics. I think the physical talent is there for Leidner, but he needs a good QB coach to work out the bugs in his delivery. As for the Leidner/Weber comparison, Mitch is bigger and has a better arm. That is probably what separates them in scouts' assessment. I think another factor is that Weber played two years in a touch-football offense that really juiced his stats. Leidner had to deal with the Kill/Limegrover Pop Warner passing scheme. In fairness to Weber, he never had a decent QB coach either.

I won't get into a comparison about Rodgers and Leidner on the field, but the big rap on Rodgers coming out of college is that he was a Tedford-product whose mechanics would have to be reworked. I guess whatever the Packers did worked. I think the same thing could be said about Mitch's mechanics. I think the physical talent is there for Leidner, but he needs a good QB coach to work out the bugs in his delivery. As for the Leidner/Weber comparison, Mitch is bigger and has a better arm. That is probably what separates them in scouts' assessment. I think another factor is that Weber played two years in a touch-football offense that really juiced his stats. Leidner had to deal with the Kill/Limegrover Pop Warner passing scheme. In fairness to Weber, he never had a decent QB coach either.

I am not a Leidner basher, but don't you think it's entirely possible that out passing scheme had to stay pretty vanilla because of the execution? When Leidner was playing bad, I never thought "this play calling is really hurting Mitch". He was missing open receivers.

OK, I'll ask the obvious question. If Leidner is benched, who do you think will be playing QB for the Gophers - and why will this player be an improvement over Leidner?

Lol, Dallas drafting him would be AWESOME!

I am not a Leidner basher, but don't you think it's entirely possible that out passing scheme had to stay pretty vanilla because of the execution? When Leidner was playing bad, I never thought "this play calling is really hurting Mitch". He was missing open receivers.

I was actually thinking that a lot. Couple runs up the gut and another 3rd and long. D line /LBs would pin their ears back. Mitch didn't help himself at times, but man, they put him in a lot of tough throwing situations with average at best receivers and slow developing pass plays.

He showed much better the last half of last year.

Top Bottom