ESPN used fake names to secure Emmys for ‘College GameDay’ stars

MisterGopher

Reaction score
Kirk Henry (Kirk Herbstreit), Lee Clark (Lee Corso), Dirk Howard (Desmond Howard), and Tim Richard (Tom Rinaldi) appeared in all seven years. Steven Ponder (Sam Ponder) and Gene Wilson (Gene Wojciechowski) appeared in five from 2014-18. Chris Fulton (Chris Fowler) appeared in 2010, 2011, 2014 and 2015. Shelley Saunders (Shelley Smith) appeared in the 2010 credit list. Smith was also given an Emmy for the show’s win in 2008, though it is unclear how that statuette was obtained; Shelley Saunders was not listed in the 2008 credit list viewed by The Athletic. However, networks are allowed to modify a credit list after a show is announced as a winner.

Not surprising. I miss the days when hard work, talent & drive won awards.

I remember when Chris Berman misspoke Virginia saying a female body part. He never missed a beat. A true professional & gentleman.

Kirk Henry (Kirk Herbstreit), Lee Clark (Lee Corso), Dirk Howard (Desmond Howard), and Tim Richard (Tom Rinaldi) appeared in all seven years. Steven Ponder (Sam Ponder) and Gene Wilson (Gene Wojciechowski) appeared in five from 2014-18. Chris Fulton (Chris Fowler) appeared in 2010, 2011, 2014 and 2015. Shelley Saunders (Shelley Smith) appeared in the 2010 credit list. Smith was also given an Emmy for the show’s win in 2008, though it is unclear how that statuette was obtained; Shelley Saunders was not listed in the 2008 credit list viewed by The Athletic. However, networks are allowed to modify a credit list after a show is announced as a winner.

Good grief - I have The Athletic and just read the whole article and that is one of the most bizarre schemes I’ve ever heard about.

Hopefully, the game day signs reflect this nonsense.

I don't subscribe to The Athletic, so I couldn't read the article. Why would they have to use fake names? If 'College Gameday' wins an emmy award.....why wouldn't the "stars" of the show be eligible?

I don't subscribe to The Athletic, so I couldn't read the article. Why would they have to use fake names? If 'College Gameday' wins an emmy award.....why wouldn't the "stars" of the show be eligible?
The nexus of the scheme was “College GameDay,” the show that Fitting helped turn into a cultural phenomenon and a revenue machine. From 2008-18, it nabbed eight Emmys for outstanding weekly studio show. But on-air talent was, until 2023, prohibited by NATAS guidelines from being included in a credit list in that category. Hosts, analysts and reporters on “College GameDay” could win individual awards, such as outstanding host, studio analyst or emerging on-air talent, and they could win for an individual feature. But they were not eligible to take home a trophy for a win by the show. That rule was meant to prevent front-facing talent from winning two awards for the same work (termed “double-dipping” in the NATAS rulebook).

You can't make it up. One upon a time, ESPN was must watch (for me). Now its avoid unless its an actual game. And I miss 99% of those too. Can't stand their talent now.

100%. ESPN used to be the channel I left the tv on for most of the day, watching it or not. It's really surprising and really truly sad just how far that shit network has fallen in the last decade. If there are other options to watch a game, I pursue those as much as possible. As their priorities have changed dramatically, so has the quality of the content.

The nexus of the scheme was “College GameDay,” the show that Fitting helped turn into a cultural phenomenon and a revenue machine. From 2008-18, it nabbed eight Emmys for outstanding weekly studio show. But on-air talent was, until 2023, prohibited by NATAS guidelines from being included in a credit list in that category. Hosts, analysts and reporters on “College GameDay” could win individual awards, such as outstanding host, studio analyst or emerging on-air talent, and they could win for an individual feature. But they were not eligible to take home a trophy for a win by the show. That rule was meant to prevent front-facing talent from winning two awards for the same work (termed “double-dipping” in the NATAS rulebook).
Now that you explain it, I don't have an issue with it. It seems like a nice way to reward the people who make the show what it is.

Plenty to criticize ESPN for (firing long time talent to turn it into the Pat McAfee Network) but less so this.

That makes sense.

On a side note.....can't help but laugh at the ESPN hatred. Look.....I agree that the daily shows get ultra repetitive to the point where I cannot imagine people enjoy watching for more than a couple hours (I don't care enough to watch almost at all most days).....but it's just too funny to see some people's blind hatred towards the network due to politics (specifically the politics of individual personalities). Grow up.

Now that you explain it, I don't have an issue with it. It seems like a nice way to reward the people who make the show what it is.

Plenty to criticize ESPN for (firing long time talent to turn it into the Pat McAfee Network) but less so this.
That's what you would criticize ESPN for? LOL. You would criticize them for hiring Pat McAfee? They had to fire their employees because Pat McAfee was absolutely eviscerating them.

ESPN is unpleasant to watch. Why did they run off Sage Steele? She was informed, great opinions & knew sports. We need more Steele.

That's what you would criticize ESPN for? LOL. You would criticize them for hiring Pat McAfee? They had to fire their employees because Pat McAfee was absolutely eviscerating them.
I wouldn't criticize them for hiring McAfee. I'd criticize them for giving him $12-15 million a year and then laying off Suzy Kolber, Max Kellerman, Keyshawn Johnson, Jeff Van Gundy, Jalen Rose and LaPhonso Ellis among others.

This is an absolutely bizarre story, but not that surprising. Pride/recognition/status are VERY important on the coasts and to many in the entertainment biz. Feathering the egos by regifting a team production award to a public-facing individual talking head the likes of Herbstreit, Howard, Fowler is kind of hilarious but a bit of a slap to the staff. I can’t believe they didn’t know this was a scam? Come on.

ESPN is troublesome because of the way they talk about sports. They slant things to contracts they own and big markets. When Alabama and Georgia met in the title game we had a never ending stream of conversation about SEC dominance. When two, 2024 B1G teams meet they didn't mention the conference at all. I understand Washington isn't B1G yet, but still to not mention it at all or only briefly was not by accident. ESPN is at the center of all things bad about sports.

100%. ESPN used to be the channel I left the tv on for most of the day, watching it or not. It's really surprising and really truly sad just how far that shit network has fallen in the last decade. If there are other options to watch a game, I pursue those as much as possible. As their priorities have changed dramatically, so has the quality of the content.
There is absolutely no denying that their content and presentation quality took a significant hit when they shifted towards more politically correct hirings and adherence. There's no easy way to say that without getting branded but I just did.

Sage Steele was tremendous at her job and whether you disagree with her social opinions or not, we all know why she was let go.

Want to see a Western Conference leading Wolves highlight? Maybe after we find out about what LeFraud had for lunch or who the Cowboys are targeting for their Assistant to the Assistant Groundskeeper.

Charley Steiner, Craig Kilbourn, Dan Patrick and Keith Olbermann all challenged the ESPN brass and were subsequently dumped. Steiner's laugh alone when he got rolling could keep a smile on my face all day. I do really enjoy their Fantasy Football shows and hosts, though.

On a side note.....can't help but laugh at the ESPN hatred. Look.....I agree that the daily shows get ultra repetitive to the point where I cannot imagine people enjoy watching for more than a couple hours (I don't care enough to watch almost at all most days).....but it's just too funny to see some people's blind hatred towards the network due to politics (specifically the politics of individual personalities). Grow up.

At least you openly acknowledge their massive shift towards one particular political bias on their network as a whole. That's a big step forward from people saying it's not there at all.

For millions of Americans, sports has been the one real escape from all the other silliness of "real life" like politics, and ESPN made the decision a few years back that they were going to get into that business just as much as reporting on sports.

Hard to fault some people for thinking that was a poor, poor business decision

At least you openly acknowledge their massive shift towards one particular political bias on their network as a whole. That's a big step forward from people saying it's not there at all.

For millions of Americans, sports has been the one real escape from all the other silliness of "real life" like politics, and ESPN made the decision a few years back that they were going to get into that business just as much as reporting on sports.

Hard to fault some people for thinking that was a poor, poor business decision

I never acknowledged a "massive shift". There have been isolated incidents of personalities letting their political views come up on shows. But it's much more rare than you want to admit. Just don't understand people who are so overly sensitive to these things that they are actively looking for it. A desperate need to feel like a victim.

ESPN is owned by Disney. So of course politics trumps good content. And there's probably disgusting things going on behind the scenes.

Top Bottom