ESPN: Ultimate B1G 2014 road trip: Week 7 Rittenberg's pick: Northwestern @ Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Rittenberg:

Adam Rittenberg's pick: Northwestern at Minnesota

It has been nearly five years since I last witnessed a game at TCF Bank Stadium, one of the nation's more picturesque college football venues. Sure, Penn State and Michigan are bigger names, but I've already seen Michigan twice and Penn State once. I'll be getting my fill of the Gophers after covering them in two of three weeks, but Northwestern is an intriguing team and I'm all about the destination here as Minneapolis offers a lot to do and see.

The game should be a competitive one, if not a good one. Five of the teams' last seven meetings -- and 13 of the past 20 -- have been decided by eight points or fewer. Northwestern has won three straight in Minneapolis, and Minnesota upset the Wildcats last year in Evanston to kick off a nice surge in league play. Northwestern quarterback Trevor Siemian had a very rough day against the Gophers last October and looks for a stronger performance on the road. The Wildcats likely will attack a Minnesota secondary led by cornerback Eric Murray. Minnesota will pound away with the run game, using a talented group of backs and a big, athletic quarterback in Mitch Leidner.

The West Division is wide open, and while both these teams play tougher schedules than both Wisconsin and Iowa -- Minnesota's slate is especially challenging -- they could be in the title mix with certain improvements (Minnesota's passing game, Northwestern's offensive production). Week 7 isn't a great platter of games, but the trip to Minneapolis sounds very appetizing.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/97208/ultimate-b1g-2014-road-trip-week-7

Go Gophers!!

rittenberg hasn't been to tcf bank stadium in nearly 5 years? doesn't he cover the big ten for espn? doesn't he just live in chicago?

rittenberg hasn't been to tcf bank stadium in nearly 5 years? doesn't he cover the big ten for espn? doesn't he just live in chicago?
Yes to all. I think the other guy from the B1G blog has been up here, I forget his name at the moment.

We actually have a nice rivalry going with Northwestern. If by "rivalry" you mean competitive, tight, hard-fought games.

Top Bottom