ESPN "The Experts" Show

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else caught "The Experts" on ESPN last night discussing the Brewster firing and the Minnesota program. I just caught the end of it, but they were bringing out the same tired old excuses of, "Minnesota is a tough place to recruit and the weather sucks". I am so tired of that argument. Minnesota weather during football season is no worse than Wisky, Meatchicken, or "I Owe the World an Apology". Also, stop with the "Mason took them to 7 bowl games" crap. Frankly, it's to the point that almost every team in the Country with a winning record goes to bowl now. How many New Years Day bowls did Mason take us to? Zip. We got Music City, Sun Bowl and other also-ran bowl games.

I was wondering if anyone else caught "The Experts" on ESPN last night discussing the Brewster firing and the Minnesota program. I just caught the end of it, but they were bringing out the same tired old excuses of, "Minnesota is a tough place to recruit and the weather sucks". I am so tired of that argument. Minnesota weather during football season is no worse than Wisky, Meatchicken, or "I Owe the World an Apology". Also, stop with the "Mason took them to 7 bowl games" crap. Frankly, it's to the point that almost every team in the Country with a winning record goes to bowl now. How many New Years Day bowls did Mason take us to? Zip. We got Music City, Sun Bowl and other also-ran bowl games.

I hear diehard fans make more ridiculous excuses so why should we be shocked when the national media picks up on these excuses?

Yeah, I heard the show and some of the BS they spewed. Chris Spielman was talking about how we should have been happy with Mason and going to low-level bowls year after year. Since when is it cool to strive for mediocrity? The weather excuse is so stupid. At least Mike Bellotti gave us some love and they agreed that the timing of the firing was okay.

Yeah, I heard the show and some of the BS they spewed. Chris Spielman was talking about how we should have been happy with Mason and going to low-level bowls year after year. Since when is it cool to strive for mediocrity? The weather excuse is so stupid. At least Mike Bellotti gave us some love and they agreed that the timing of the firing was okay.

Since it was one former Buckeye talking about another.

I hear diehard fans make more ridiculous excuses so why should we be shocked when the national media picks up on these excuses?

The fact is that the weather is a negative in recruiting. The fact is that we have less local talent here is a negative when trying to build a program. These are valid points. Just because there are teams that have had more success in a similar geographic area doesn't mean these aren't still factors working against us.

It is all these factors combined with a few others that explains our futility. The situation at the U is unique and unlike the ones at Iowa and Wisconsin. So to try to compare us to them doesn't do a whole lot of good. It isn't JUST the weather, or JUST local talent, or JUST being in a pro city, or JUST poor administrative support over a long period of time. It is ALL of them that makes our situation unique and different from IA or WIS.

This is sadly a Buckeye normalcy, in my eyes. Oh Glen Mason was great, he did everything necessary for the Gophers, why won't they accept 6-6 (3-5) and be happy about it? It's impossible to recruit there, it's the frozen tundra.

Spielman then spouted "Well, Minnesota could be a middle of the pack team, taking a run at a Big Ten title every 6 or 7 years." Gee Chris, I didn't see you OSU buddy pulling that off for us...we were almost middle of the pack (averaging between 6th and 7th in conf under Glen) and we weren't competing for Big Ten titles.

That's why I'm still happy that the U rolled the dice. Glen brought us out of the Wacker era and he did a fine job. But it is reasonable for us to want more...if Wisconsin can do it, if Iowa can do it, I sure as heck don't understand why, it would be impossible to happen here as well.

Going into the commercial break before they talked about Brewster's firing, the host mentioned "I wonder if there is anyone on set interested in the job", obviously referencing Bellotti. To me, Bellotti was very polite about Minnesota, noting very very nice facilities and that recruiting would be similar to Oregon. He wasn't negative, but he wasn't gung-ho about the job. I'd think he doesn't want to tip his hand, on interest, but he didn't come out and flat out deny interest...so that's gotta be a plus.

Top Bottom