ESPN suspends Griese one game for remark about NASCAR's Juan Pablo Montoya

Reaction score
ESPN broadcaster Bob Griese has been suspended one week for a remark he made about NASCAR driver Juan Pablo Montoya.

ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz says Griese will not be working a game this week.

Krulewitz says ESPN has spoken to Griese and "he understands the comment was inappropriate."

During ESPN's broadcast of the Minnesota-Ohio State game Saturday, a graphic was shown listing the top five drivers in NASCAR's points race. Fellow analyst Chris Spielman asked where was Montoya, who is Colombian.

Griese replied he was "out having a taco."

He has twice apologized on air for the remark.

Montoya is declining to comment on Griese's suspension. He brushed off the remark Sunday, and said he'd never heard of Griese.

never been a bob griese fan, so to this i say: good call espn! :clap:

ESPN broadcaster Bob Griese has been suspended one week for a remark he made about NASCAR driver Juan Pablo Montoya.

ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz says Griese will not be working a game this week.

Krulewitz says ESPN has spoken to Griese and "he understands the comment was inappropriate."

During ESPN's broadcast of the Minnesota-Ohio State game Saturday, a graphic was shown listing the top five drivers in NASCAR's points race. Fellow analyst Chris Spielman asked where was Montoya, who is Colombian.

Griese replied he was "out having a taco."

He has twice apologized on air for the remark.

Montoya is declining to comment on Griese's suspension. He brushed off the remark Sunday, and said he'd never heard of Griese.

never been a bob griese fan, so to this i say: good call espn! :clap:

He made a mistake and is being punished accordingly but I have had the opportunity to meet and talk to Bob on several occasions and he was one of the nicer broadcasters I have ever met.

He'll have plenty of time to go find the best taco bar this week.

How the hell does he get suspended for this but Lou Holtz didn't get suspended for comparing RichRod to Hitler? What incriminating photos does our dear Dr. Lou have on the execs in Connecticut?

What if they had showed an English driver and he said he was out having fish n chips? Would have he gotten in so much trouble?

Griese associates his Hispanic sounding name to tacos ... A really stupid move by Griese. Montoya is Columbian. Not a taco kind of place...but apparently Griese doesn't know either and that makes matters even worse.

Mmmmm...TACOS!!!!:cool03:

Much ado about nothing. Probably more of reaction to what's his name boinking the psycho female intern. Too much flack at one time for the ever deteriorating ESPN.

I actually like Griese's analysis. The problem with these guys is that in an attempt to make the game supposedly more enjoyable for the listening audience, they try to make every broadcast like an episode of "The Office" complete with friendly banter. Doesn't take long for someone to do a "Michael Scott." Jock humor isn't all that funny most of the time and crap like this is bound to happen.

Doesn't take long for someone to do a "Michael Scott." Sad, but oh so true ..

If he's talking about an Italian guy and says he's eating spaghetti, people would have laughed and it would have been no big deal.

I'm not a fan of Griese. What if he got the country right and said he was out having some coffee?

Stupid comment and stupid decision to suspend him. Everyone in this country is so damn sensitive.

If he's talking about an Italian guy and says he's eating spaghetti, people would have laughed and it would have been no big deal.

oh I kno right....buttt because it's not a white person...it's a much more serious deal...I'm German and I get the sauerkraut thing all the time lol

bring back the days of chris schenkel, bud wilkinson and keith jackson on abc. now those guys WERE college football announcers. bob griese? chris spielman? please!

Yeah, because that would have been funny. If it was an Italian guy and Griese said he was "out eating a taco" the reaction would have been "Huh?" The same as a Columbian eating a taco.

Now if Montoya was Mexican then you got funny.

who cares where he's from. i've never met anybody who doesn't like tacos.

i'm sure jpm does eat tacos from time to time.

who cares where he's from. i've never met anybody who doesn't like tacos.

i'm sure jpm does eat tacos from time to time.

I hope you're not thinking of going into comedy..:cool02:

How dare you. Pam Ward is a man of honor.

My reacation is the same as Mr. Montoya's: Who cares?

Mr. Montoya is from Columbia, so he hasn't learned to be a hypersensitive crybaby like he would have if he'd grown up in America. Fortunately, it seems some Americans got offended on his behalf, and Adolf Griese will be stopped before he can hurt anybody.:cry:

What if they had showed an English driver and he said he was out having fish n chips? Would have he gotten in so much trouble?

No, nationality jokes don't have the same effect or history as racial jokes. You do know the difference right?

It may not have been as big a deal but it would not have gone over well either. You must take into account history. Racial slurs are always a bad idea even if your joking.

it was absolutely a stupid thing to say and he should be suspended. As an announcer I could not ever think of saying something like that. ATTF would certainly agree.

BTW Mr Royston, Kim's mother last year had the team sign a poster and she gave it to me at work as a gift since she knows how much I care about the Gopher football team. This was when Kim was still sitting out due to the transfer rules. I know I told her several times, but I'd like to post it here that I appreciated the gesture very much. I am glad Kim is in a place where he feels comfortable, and I wish him the best.

Top Bottom