ESPN: Stoudermire relishes finl chance

Gotta love the comment section. Good read, though.

I think Shabazz is going to have a difficult time beating out Brock Vereen. I think Vereen was one of the most unfairly criticized players on the team. I thought he made some mistakes, no doubt, but that guy was put on an island as much as almost any QB (whether it's on the quick hitter or on deep passes). Our defensive backfield was put into difficult situations last season with the amount we had to blitz.

I'm just glad we have competition and it'll be interesting to see who emerges out of Shabazz, Boddy, Baltazar, Carter....

Every article (including those by the illustrious Sid) keeps talking about Stoudermire's "sixth year". It's his 5th coming up. He didn't redshirt.

Every article (including those by the illustrious Sid) keeps talking about Stoudermire's "sixth year". It's his 5th coming up. He didn't redshirt.

It's when Sid starts saying its his own sixth year that I will get concerned.:)

I didn't see where ESPN said Troy was gettig a sixth year.

I didn't see where ESPN said Troy was gettig a sixth year.

Three places:

1. The picture caption says explicitly that it's his 6th year.

2. He mentions how sixth-year waivers are "hit or miss", stating how Royston got one and Purdue WR Keith Smith didn't. That's great, but neither have anything at all to do with Troy.

3. He mentions how Royston had a good season in his 6th year, and how Stoudermire can follow a similar path.

Thanks, I rarely read the captions under pictures especially on my phone. I didn't read #2 and 3 the same, but that's okay. :)

I think Shabazz is going to have a difficult time beating out Brock Vereen. I think Vereen was one of the most unfairly criticized players on the team. I thought he made some mistakes, no doubt, but that guy was put on an island as much as almost any QB (whether it's on the quick hitter or on deep passes). Our defensive backfield was put into difficult situations last season with the amount we had to blitz.

I'm just glad we have competition and it'll be interesting to see who emerges out of Shabazz, Boddy, Baltazar, Carter....

I don't know if Shabazz/Baltazar will beat out Vereen or not.. But I agree with you in that I think he was definitely underrated this past year. Didn't he help shut down Woods vs. USC last year? Anyway, I saw some progress with him and am honestly excited to see how he pans out.

What a weird turnaround for Troy.

How many converted WR play cornerback like a wannabe linebacker?

He's a faster and taller version of that pipsqueek we had from Ohio a few years ago. Name please? If he'd been (a lot) bigger he would've been fantastic.

He isn't a converted WR, though. He's a HS QB who started college at CB and never should've left there. For a while, he was a converted CB playing WR.

What a weird turnaround for Troy.

He's a faster and taller version of that pipsqueek we had from Ohio a few years ago. Name please? If he'd been (a lot) bigger he would've been fantastic.
You don't mean Dom Jones? There were bigger problems than his size that prevented him from being fantastic.

dpodoll

He isn't a converted WR, though. He's a HS QB who started college at CB and never should've left there. For a while, he was a converted CB playing WR.

I early suggested that we recognize DL65 for all his hard work for this site and now I am going to suggest that we also recognize you for your contributions to this site. Without you, a person wanting to know whether a statement is accurate or not would have to either have a really good memory or spend a great deal of time researching all the questionable statements made here. This becomes a greater problem as we age (70+ range) since we have run out of memory space.

Therefore, in appreciation of your never ending battle to separate fiction from fact for us seniors I hereby propose that we award you the AARP Trophy for your contributions to seniors. Without you we would not know fact from fiction. In all seriousness, I really do appreciate that somebody is trying to keep this site honest.

I don't know if Shabazz/Baltazar will beat out Vereen or not.. But I agree with you in that I think he was definitely underrated this past year. Didn't he help shut down Woods vs. USC last year? Anyway, I saw some progress with him and am honestly excited to see how he pans out.

Woods versus Minnesota.

17 catches. 177 yards. 3 touchdowns.

I think it had something to do with the first game of the year and not knowing the scheme soundly yet. There were some pretty bad breakdowns in coverage that game. Either way, I am very happy to have Troy back and Vereen will be solid for us. Competition is a good thing to have.

Woods versus Minnesota.

I think it had something to do with the first game of the year and not knowing the scheme soundly yet. There were some pretty bad breakdowns in coverage that game. Either way, I am very happy to have Troy back and Vereen will be solid for us. Competition is a good thing to have.

I'm assuming he's talking about the 2010 game.

Woods in 2010: 4 rec. for 33 yds

Woods versus Minnesota.

He got torched by Woods, there is no getting around that. However, I doubt another CB played him man-to-man as often as Vereen did all season. The Gopher coaches knew they had to sell out to the run and to get pressure on the CB and the guy who was put in tough spots as a result was Brock Vereen. I'm not making excuses for him, he didn't play well, but I can't imagine a more difficult spot than having to defend a premier WR one-on-one to the wide side of the field (usually) with an elite QB throwing to him.

Our defensive backs were the most overly blaimed unit for the Gophers. The Gophers had to bring an immense amount of pressure against the pass and support against the run. When it works, usually the blitzer or safety in the box looks good (making the play). When it doesn't work, the CB or FS on the island looks bad. It's an easy spot to go unnoticed when you play well and be highlighted when things don't work. I think Brock and Kim Royston were prime examples of that last season.

Woods versus Minnesota.

I appologize, I worded my post wrong.. I meant in the 2nd half. You are right, though, that there were a LOT of coverage breakdowns (surely not all on Vereen). I thought I remembered Woods getting shut down in the 2nd half, but looking back he had something like 5 catches for 63 yards. 0 TDs, though. If I could, I would re-watch that game because I thought I saw some fight in Vereen playing against Woods (knocking him off his timing/pass deflections), but I could be thinking of another game.

He got torched by Woods, there is no getting around that. However, I doubt another CB played him man-to-man as often as Vereen did all season. The Gopher coaches knew they had to sell out to the run and to get pressure on the CB and the guy who was put in tough spots as a result was Brock Vereen. I'm not making excuses for him, he didn't play well, but I can't imagine a more difficult spot than having to defend a premier WR one-on-one to the wide side of the field (usually) with an elite QB throwing to him.

Our defensive backs were the most overly blaimed unit for the Gophers. The Gophers had to bring an immense amount of pressure against the pass and support against the run. When it works, usually the blitzer or safety in the box looks good (making the play). When it doesn't work, the CB or FS on the island looks bad. It's an easy spot to go unnoticed when you play well and be highlighted when things don't work. I think Brock and Kim Royston were prime examples of that last season.

I'd agree with you (on our CB play). It wasn't stellar by any means.. but there were games where it looked like we were playing against Steve Young/Fran Tarkenton with opposing QBs scrambling around in the back field and then launching a prayer (and completing the sucker). The lack of our defensive line corralling the QBs and getting to them hurt our CBs. Of course, if our CBs stayed with their man instead of looking to put a hit on the QB, things could be different. I guess my point is the DL and DBs work as a cohesive unit.. and if one doesn't do their job, they leave the others out to dry. Here's to our CBs locking down opposing WRs long enough for our DL to get the the QB.

It is amazing how Troy's attitude about MN football has changed. He was ready to leave MN and now he can't wait to return. Troy could have a big year at MN if the DL can improve the pass rush.

Something has really clicked for TS. He went from publicly saying I am leaving to staying and becoming a team leader.

And getting a 4.0 last semester. He seems to have matured a lot in the last year. I would like to think it has something to do with a solid coach/mentor being the HC now.

Top Bottom