ESPN: Sources - Marlins cancel game as coronavirus spreads

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

The Miami Marlins' home opener against the Baltimore Orioles on Monday night has been canceled, sources told ESPN's Jeff Passan, as coronavirus cases continue to pop up among the team.

Eight more players and two coaches with the Marlins have tested positive for coronavirus, as an outbreak has spread throughout their clubhouse and brought the total of cases in recent days to at least 14, sources familiar with the situation told ESPN.

The Marlins remain in Philadelphia and continue to undergo testing after their weekend series there.

Win Twins!!

This is an epidemiologist. Serious business. How do you run a season when a team has to sit out for a couple weeks? Do those games not count? Forfeits?

They gave it a try. It was a solid effort.

Nothing can work, until the vaccines get here. Pretty much that simple.

They gave it a try. It was a solid effort.

Nothing can work, until the vaccines get here. Pretty much that simple.
NFL players starting to opt out at an increasing rate. I think they realize that football is going to be a much more difficult proposition than baseball--and baseball is proving to be difficult enough.

MIAC just cancelled all the fall sports last week, and the WIAC followed suit this week. Winter sports in severe jeopardy, but my daughter (gymnastics) is being told to assume business as usual for now--which is a sound assumption because you have to be in the mind set and have your body and skills as good as you can get them. Problem is, at least her college gym and all the equipment hasn't been available to them.

If MLB wants to continue, they will have to extend the regular season. When a team has 3 (or pick a #) or more cases in 48 hours, immediately cancel their games for 72 hours and the games of anyone they've played in the past 2 days. Quarantine everyone. Figure out who's negative. Make roster moves from the taxi squad and start again. Re-schedule games to the end of the season. With luck, you can still get all games in by October 15th and then go to play-offs.

Otherwise, some teams are going to end up playing 40 games while others play 55-60.

Otherwise, some teams are going to end up playing 40 games while others play 55-60.

That part is not a problem. Not all teams played the same amount of games in the strike shortened 1981 season. They can go with winning percentage instead. The season is goofy already, so I do not care if it's uneven games. They can reschedule what they can.

Having said that, a few more of these types of outbreaks then it's goodbye baseball.

That part is not a problem. Not all teams played the same amount of games in the strike shortened 1981 season. They can go with winning percentage instead. The season is goofy already, so I do not care if it's uneven games. They can reschedule what they can.

Having said that, a few more of these types of outbreaks then it's goodbye baseball.
I agree within reason. But having one team play 33% less games then another is a different matter.

And there's no reason not to extend the season and reschedule the missed games. I don't understand why they were so insistent on ending the regular season in September anyway. If there will be no fans, just play all the play-offs and World Series in 1-2 neutral sites in warm weather. If it takes until Thanksgiving, who cares?

I agree within reason. But having one team play 33% less games then another is a different matter.

And there's no reason not to extend the season and reschedule the missed games. I don't understand why they were so insistent on ending the regular season in September anyway. If there will be no fans, just play all the play-offs and World Series in 1-2 neutral sites in warm weather. If it takes until Thanksgiving, who cares?

FOX & TBS who holds the post-season TV rights cares and they want it over by Election Day. They are the whole reason this is even being attempted.

FOX & TBS who holds the post-season TV rights cares and they want it over by Election Day. They are the whole reason this is even being attempted.
Yeah. I call BS on that. MLB used it as an excuse because they wanted as few regular season games as possible. There's no reason for TBS to care, and the NFL and MLB don't conflict any more in November than they do in October. They'll both be thankful for the programming no matter when it occurs.

What am I watching on TV tonight? A Twins game? I thought the season was going to be cancelled yesterday.

What am I watching on TV tonight? A Twins game? I thought the season was going to be cancelled yesterday.
It has been so damn great to get to watch some baseball the last couple days. The games mean so much more with the short season.

Hockey starting up in the next couple days, August is going to be GREAT!!!

The thing I'm surprised NOBODY (at least that I've heard) is talking about is playing playoff series and the World Series in neutral-site, warm-weather or indoor venues. Not sure if there are going to be spectators anyway, so there's really little or no home-field advantage, and NFL teams don't seem to mind that the Superbowl is a neutral-site event.

What's the social distancing rule for bench-clearing brawls?

This is an epidemiologist. Serious business. How do you run a season when a team has to sit out for a couple weeks? Do those games not count? Forfeits?

This will not happen, but if it was proven that the outbreak was due to careless/reckless behavior and ignoring protocols then I would say forfeits should be on the table.

On the bright side, no Phillies have tested positive to this point.

That's not good. At least we are alone in 1st place today....
Dang, it sure would be nice to keep this thing rolling. I want to keep thinking in terms of making this work, but you can't force it at all costs. Fingers crossed going forward.

Dang, it sure would be nice to keep this thing rolling. I want to keep thinking in terms of making this work, but you can't force it at all costs. Fingers crossed going forward.
Seems like they need to go to hubs like the NHL and NBA. Perhaps they could do divisional hubs and play solely within divisions.

Top Bottom