ESPN: Schools brokering name, image and likeness deals adds layer to college conundrum; BYU walk-ons getting full tuition covered by NIL deals

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Talmage Gunther wasn't expecting an ordinary Thursday in August, amid the often painful monotony of preseason camp, to become the most emotional day of his college football career.

The BYU walk-on wide receiver knew something strange was afoot when he walked into the Cougars' team facility after practice to find boxes of protein bars stacked above eye level throughout the room. A few minutes later, Nick Greer, CEO of Built protein bars and a BYU alum, was offering to change Gunther's life with an endorsement deal. In exchange for promoting the company at two in-person events and on social media, Greer was offering to pay each of the team's walk-on players enough money to cover tuition.

"It was a dream come true," Gunther said. "It was, it still is, amazing."

In quieter circles around the NCAA, though, the announcement also set off alarm bells. If BYU can facilitate a deal to help Gunther and his young family by covering his cost of attending college, what's to stop another school from lining up sponsorship deals worth hundreds of thousands of dollars for its athletes? And if a school starts asking its boosters to sponsor athletes, at what point does the sponsorship cross the line into a payment that is no different from a salary with some creative accounting?

These kinds of vast gray areas and unsettled questions in the new NIL era in college sports are making the path forward more complicated for NCAA members trying to thread a thin needle. They are currently tasked with making sure athletes receive more of a fair share of the giant profits they help generate while also convincing politicians, federal judges and the general public that college sports are primarily an education-based enterprise.

Veron says he understands the concerns about schools facilitating deals, but he believes that any school with its athletes' best interests in mind is in an ideal position to help them maximize their opportunities while providing an added layer of protection from "sharks and charlatans" trying to take advantage of the new marketplace.

Shortly after announcing BYU's deal with Built, Veron says he heard from more than a dozen administrators and coaches from around the country who wanted to know more about what the Cougars were doing.

"We got a bunch of schools saying, 'Hey, what's going on at BYU? We're hearing about this. How is this legal?'" Veron said. "A coach in the SEC reached out to me and asked how we did this."

Go Gophers!!

"We got a bunch of schools saying, 'Hey, what's going on at BYU? We're hearing about this. How is this legal?'" Veron said. "A coach in the SEC reached out to me and asked how we did this."

I believe that it’s legal but only because the policy is poorly designed. Not that I’ve read it but there don’t seem to be many stipulations to prevent abuse. It’s pretty clear that offering that much compensation to a walkon who hasn’t played a down is just a bag-o-cash in a different form, and not commensurate with any value that kid provides in “endorsing” a product. And of course, offering it as a blanket payout to every player makes it even more obvious that boosters are just looking to pay for players now that it’s “legal.”

I've been saying this since the beginning. Watch out for BYU. Different type of dynamic going on there than anywhere else.

The whole point of NIL was that it was supposed to be separated from the schools. Players were supposed to go out and make their own deals, with no link between NIL and recruitment.

If schools are helping to broker deals like this, it violates the spirit of the rule.

the question is - who is going to enforce it?

the NCAA can't enforce the rules it already has. and they are not going to spend the $ to create a whole new "NIL Enforcement Division."

The Road to Hell is truly paved with good intentions.

I've been saying this since the beginning. Watch out for BYU. Different type of dynamic going on there than anywhere else.
BYU is a cottage industry. They are not going to draw the type of players that BYU wouldn’t normally sign. This is to help pay expenses for Mormon players wives and kids.

The only way to police it is to have people sit out a year for a transfer and have practice roster size limits.

This is something I would normally say is a huge can of worms as to what is going on. Instead, I've got to say it's a huge pile of snakes as to a problem.

The BIG12 might be for a real awakening if they follow through with their invitation for BYU to join. Most forget about the Mormons going on a 2 years sabbatical and re enrolling as a 22 year old Freshmen. 24 versus 18 year old, probably not fair.

The BIG12 might be for a real awakening if they follow through with their invitation for BYU to join. Most forget about the Mormons going on a 2 years sabbatical and re enrolling as a 22 year old Freshmen. 24 versus 18 year old, probably not fair.
Hasn’t helped BYU
Against a soft as hell schedule they’ve been 28-24 in the last 4 non Covid seasons

My only question at this point if this is how all of this is gonna work, is where are the Gophers on making these deals? Better get on board the train or get run over by it.

Welcome to the life of a college hockey coach

Welcome to the life of a college hockey coach
Mankato State the BYU of hockey? One school might have a little more partying though.

Was a few years ago now but I remember one year the Gophers played Mankato and our oldest player would have been the youngest player on Mankato.

What is the purpose of the scholarship limit of 85?

A P5 team like Bama or LSU will load up with players as PWOs.

It is pay to play big time. It is not like there were never any cheating with bagmen. They just put it out in the open.

Will there be players simply paid to play for five years?

Oh well, there are already 29year-old Fresmen punters in college football.

Right, that is basically some guy's point with the roster limit proposal. If there is no practical difference ($$ wise) between a scholarship player and a PWO player, then a scholarship limit isn't meaningful.

I could go for a total roster cap of 85 during the season, maybe let it go up some during the off-season/spring ball. Gives guys a chance to go through spring and figure out if they're likely to contribute next fall or if they need to look at transferring elsewhere.

If the money part of it was all the same (hypothetical for this bit), then I don't see any issue with transfers/the transfer portal and not sitting out. In of itself, I don't have a problem with it. But it's really when you add the money into it, that is where I can see the potential issue.

It is only a matter of time until lots of schools are essentially giving walk-ons scholarships through the guise of NIL deals. BYU cracked the code first but everyone will copy them if no restrictions are put in place to stop it.

It is only a matter of time until lots of schools are essentially giving walk-ons scholarships through the guise of NIL deals. BYU cracked the code first but everyone will copy them if no restrictions are put in place to stop it.
I hope we do it. It's allowed. We need to be competitive, as much as we can be.

I hope we do it. It's allowed. We need to be competitive, as much as we can be.
I would be shocked to find out that we are not attempting to do it. I would expect pretty much every school will attempt to make it happen for their walkons as well.

Top Bottom