ESPN Rumors

KrisHumphries

Reaction score
They posted this earlier this morning, haven't seen it on here..

Charley Walters of the St. Paul Pioneer Press writes that Thursday's "hot rumor" was that athletic director Joel Maturi is zeroing in on Temple coach Al Golden to replace Tim Brewster. Matt O'Connell of GopherIllustrated confirmed in a Friday tweet: "I think they would love to land Golden, just not so sure that they can. His name was hot yesterday, nothing confirmed though."

However, a source tells John Di Carlo of OwlScoop.com that Golden is not a candidate at Minnesota, Indiana or Vanderbilt, and that Golden has been highly visible in the football offices this week preparing for its bowl game (i.e., he has not been away interviewing).

A rumor also was started on a GoldenSports.net message board that Minnesota had offered the position to former Miami coach Randy Shannon, but the post is from some random user not one of the site's writers.

It's getting to the point where this joking suggestion from Zach Johnson of GopherIllustrated.com might have some merit: "Should the MAC title game temporarily change its name to the Gopher Bowl? Will Maturi be there to give the winning coach a giant check?" Miami (with coach Mike Haywood) and Northern Illinois (with coach Jerry Kill) square off on Friday at 7 p.m. (ESPN2). Both coaches have been linked to current openings -- Haywood at Vanderbilt and Kill at Indiana -- and could be moving on up.

An interesting side note: Former Oregon coach Mike Bellotti confirmed to Marcus Fuller of the Pioneer Press that he was contacted twice by the Gophers search firm but declined interest. "The reality is that it's just not a good fit for me right now," Bellotti said. "I told them I appreciated the interest, I really did, but I told them that I'm not a candidate."

Top Bottom