ESPN reporting Tressel suspended two games

MRJ

Reaction score
So much for Tressel being a clean coach. Got caught red-handed and now, after years of being an NCAA football coach, needs to attend compliance classes. It's amazing how Ohio State seems to be able to break the rules, but get by with the whole "I had no idea what I was doing was wrong" defense isn't it? :clap:

As I mentioned in the other thread, it's a wrist slap. He'll miss the games against powerhouses Akron and Toledo, bank on it.

As I mentioned in the other thread, it's a wrist slap. He'll miss the games against powerhouses Akron and Toledo, bank on it.

Do you really expect tOSU to bitchslap their own coach with sanctions?

Jim Calhoun thinks this punishment is a joke.

Does he get paid for the two day suspension or is it without pay? If its the former, he gets a couple of weeks of paid vacation.

Its 2 games and $250k fine...and I hope the NCAA sticks them with vacated victories for using ineligible players last year...if he knew and said nothing...then they should go down.

So true

His suspension is for the first two games of the year. Wow. That will teach him.

Its 2 games and $250k fine...and I hope the NCAA sticks them with vacated victories for using ineligible players last year...if he knew and said nothing...then they should go down.

love to see Ws vs OSU and Iowa in the same year!

He makes 3.8 million a year and if you take this number divided by 13 for the amount of games they play a year. His fine should have been 250 thousand for each game for a total of 500 thousand. So I guess he is being paid 250 thousand for two weeks vacation. Nice gig!

He makes 3.8 million a year and if you take this number divided by 13 for the amount of games they play a year. His fine should have been 250 thousand for each game for a total of 500 thousand. So I guess he is being paid 250 thousand for two weeks vacation. Nice gig!

My only question is...since the NCAA deemed the players will miss 4 games...why is the coach that had knowledge of it, broke the rules in his own contract and broke NCAA rules by not reporting it, not get the same 4 weeks?

I hope the NCAA shoves it up all their asses!

I bet the NCAA adds to the suspension. Pearl at Tenn. got a worse one for lying, JT pretty much did the same thing...

My only question is...since the NCAA deemed the players will miss 4 games...why is the coach that had knowledge of it, broke the rules in his own contract and broke NCAA rules by not reporting it, not get the same 4 weeks?

I hope the NCAA shoves it up all their asses!

My thoughts exactly, why didn't OSU at least match the coaches suspension to the players?

This whole "scandal" is over-hyped and only a making of the asinine NCAA rules.

We should be FAR more concerned about college players breaking the law or cheating academically.

But remember, the NCAA is only viable economically if they have free labor, so gotta keep the slaves in their place.

My favorite comment so far is tO$U prez Gordon Gee saying "Let me be very clear. I'm just hoping the coach doesn't dismiss me" when asked if he would fire Tressel. Wow.

You're right, a good piece. I like this quote from Tressel's own book:

"It takes less time to do the right thing than to explain why you did it wrong."

Tattoo parlor being investigated for drug selling. Tattoos AND money being exchanged for memorabilia and awards. Tressel finds out early, doesn't tell his bosses and lies about his knowledge for months.

Then he spends his press conference time explaining how he did nothing wrong ? He says he had to keep the info private but admits he forwarded the e-mails that GAVE him the info.

Despite a lot of hand wringing and whining about the players, they get tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars of education, food and lodging to play the game. The VERY few that get into the NFL get millions of dollars because of talent but even more so because of the exposure that their colleges gave them. Hell, they even get to PICK which college will best showcase their skills!!

Thee are no innocents here. The NCAA needs to drop the hammer on Tressel and Ohio State. This time there will be no boosters paying off players to shut-up.

So much for Tressel being a clean coach. Got caught red-handed and now, after years of being an NCAA football coach, needs to attend compliance classes. It's amazing how Ohio State seems to be able to break the rules, but get by with the whole "I had no idea what I was doing was wrong" defense isn't it? :clap:

Not to defend OSU but it was a pretty minor offense by the players. That said, it is a joke of a punishment and I would welcome further punishment from the NCAA. He may not have read or remembered what his contract said exactly so that may be why he did not let the school know about it but he obviously lied to the NCAA and said he knew nothing about it and should get a more severe punishment for it.

His suspension is for the first two games of the year. Wow. That will teach him.

This kangaroo court decision constitutes cruel and unusual punishment. I hope Tressel files an appeal with the UN War Crimes Tribunal at the Hague. A hate crime has been committed against Tressel. The U. S. Department of Justice should invoke the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act against the people who are fabricating these falsehoods and are persecuting Tressel.

Winona Phantom we salute you!
Michigan – 0
Minnesota – 22
24 October 1953
SKI-U-MAH!
http://www.vva.org/testimony/2010/092910.html
http://www.dol.gov/ocia/congressionaltestimony/20090514_OFCCP.htm

But remember, the NCAA is only viable economically if they have free labor, so gotta keep the slaves in their place.

Wait...so you're telling me I don't have to repay my student loans?

(Aside from that, it's callous and extremely offensive to compare pampered "student"-athletes to slaves.)

Wait...so you're telling me I don't have to repay my student loans?

(Aside from that, it's callous and extremely offensive to compare pampered "student"-athletes to slaves.)

+1 It's not just callous and offensive, it's ridiculous. Playing college football is voluntary. Voluntary slavery is an oxymoron. And it's not "free labor" either. College isn't cheap. Free tuition, free books, free room and board adds up to some significant compensation. As you say, there are a great many people who spend years paying off college loans. If you took the cash value of the compensation scholarship athletes get, it's more than most people could expect to make right out of high school. Then you have to figure in the extra money that they will make as a result of having a college degree versus merely having a high school degree.

And then there are these D-III players, who really do play for free. What about them?

+1 It's not just callous and offensive, it's ridiculous. Playing college football is voluntary. Voluntary slavery is an oxymoron. And it's not "free labor" either. College isn't cheap. Free tuition, free books, free room and board adds up to some significant compensation. As you say, there are a great many people who spend years paying off college loans. If you took the cash value of the compensation scholarship athletes get, it's more than most people could expect to make right out of high school. Then you have to figure in the extra money that they will make as a result of having a college degree versus merely having a high school degree.

And then there are these D-III players, who really do play for free. What about them?

Personally, I love the whole "D1 athletes are slaves" angle. What a joke. Same as Jesse Jackson's assinine "Lebron James is being treated like a slave" angle. No one forces any of these folks to do anything. But their victim complex is always in the forefront. Apparently, no one told them they can quit if they want. Yet magically, these "slaves" continue to show up year after year and play sports. They must be masochists! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

[QUOTE=NateDawgUM;380704]This whole "scandal" is over-hyped and only a making of the asinine NCAA rules.

We should be FAR more concerned about college players breaking the law or cheating academically.

But remember, the NCAA is only viable economically if they have free labor, so gotta keep the slaves in their place.[/QUOTE]

Rules are rules...on the field and in the program. They are in place for a level playing field and fair competition.

I think most are concerned about players breaking the law...yet the NCAA (and programs) do not do enough to combat that. The recent SI article claims over 7% of all student athletes have run a foul of the law.

And to clarify...the billions of $ the NCAA generates would still be economically viable with players getting some pay. Enough has been said of the foolishness of the 'slave angle'

I love what must have been the players' thought processes. Hmmm.... what can I use to get a new tattoo (cause it's not like I don't have enough of them)? I know! My gear! I'll just tell coach that I lost it.... durrr....

This whole "scandal" is over-hyped and only a making of the asinine NCAA rules.

I think the Tatoo 5 scandal is overhyped b/c I think that rule is dumb. I get the intent, but they should find a way to write it that allows players to sell what they own without opening the door to booster overpayment.

But the Tressel thing isn't overblown IMO. Because the rule he broke is a simple and important one. Report any possible infractions no matter how big or small. It's the "when in doubt you overshare" rule. Even if you give him the benefit of the doubt for not sharing when he first learned it or when he signed his yearly compliance form in April of 2010, there is no reason he shouldn't have volunteered what he knew when the Tatoo 5 problem was reported to OSU by the Feds. Even if you think the rule the Tatoo 5 broke is silly, the fact is that Tressel actively chose to hide what he knew. And if he's willing to hide what he knows about infractions for a "silly infraction that is overblown" what does that say about how he might act when a player really effs up?

Top Bottom