ESPN Recruiting Prediction: Seantrel to Gophers

Go Pher Yourself

Reaction score
Obviously this is just a guess on his part, but I thought it was interesting:

No. 4 -- OL Seantrel Henderson (St. Paul, Minn./Cretin-Derham)

Henderson's father says his son will make official visits to Oklahoma, Ohio State, USC, Florida and Notre Dame. He is also considering several other schools including Minnesota, but does not feel he needs to make an official visit with the Gophers. Henderson has not tipped his hand at all as to who he might be favoring. However, the new stadium is going to help Tim Brewster's recruiting, and if the Gophers continue their rebound on the field this season, I think Henderson stays close to home.

Prediction: Minnesota

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4428381&name=Midwest_Recruiting

I hope he is right but it sounds more like "deep" investigation leading to this: new stadium + kid is from Minnesota = kid will play for gophers.

I still put it at a 2% chance for Minnesota. I hope he is right and I am wrong.

Believe me, his father wants brighter lights.

I have no inside info of course, but that's always the feeling I've taken from his dad's comments. Its always seemed to me that SH himself is pretty interested in the Gophers if they show that competing for a B10 title is possible here under Brewster. But his dad has always seemed more dismissive somehow IMO.

Hope it happens. This is one of those things where not getting him sucks but isn't a dagger but having him come here could be a game-changer perception wise.

Its always seemed to me that SH himself is pretty interested in the Gophers if they show that competing for a B10 title is possible here under Brewster.

I would hope SH realizes that his committing here would go a long way toward achieving that goal. Not just from his own contributions, but his potential ability to bring other big-time recruits our way.

For some reason, I think all the other factors are weighing in his head more than this, and that is ultimately what will make his decision for him. I hope all the time that this is one situation on which I am wrong.

Believe me, his father wants brighter lights.

We haven't even turned our lights on yet, so how could any stadium have brighter lights than us?! They'll see how bright our lights are during the Air Force and Michigan State games. I can't imagine that USC has newer or brighter bulbs than our new swank ones. ;)

Go Gophers!!

My humble opinion

Henderson is waiting to see how the Gophers do this season. He probably wants to stay home but only if the Gophers look like they can win the B10 and even the National Championship while he is here during his 4 years. If things go well even 2 or 3 years.

Evidence does suggest USC is the team that seems to have his attention.

Parents generally want what is best for their child and in Mr. Henderson's defense, USC has done a remarkable job getting their players to where Seantrel wants to eventually be- 1st round and paid. That's not to say it couldn't happen at Minnesota. Guys of his caliber can make it anywhere. Just saying that I understand if his dad is pushing for what would appear to be the safest option.

It is similar to when Reggie White chose to play for the Pack. Prior to that GB had zero ability to lure big time players.

We keep hearing about what Dad wants, what does Mom want?, in my experience Mom usually wins. I believe that it's 50/50 that we get Seantrel. It'll come down to home vs away. In our favor, Coach Davis has a track record of putting players in the NFL, two team mates from Cretin that went elsewhere and came back, immediate playing time. Against us is, lack of success in the past vs immediate potential for National Championship exposure. What we need, to keep him will be, improvement on the field and a great game day atmosphere

Given the money a top ten or even 15 draft pick makes, it is hard to blame him.

I actually prefer the Juicy Lucy (or other burgers) at The Nook, which is right across the street from CDH. So yes, I'm sure he has.

Ya'll be playin' fools. Seantrel'z gonna be un Trojan! Pete's gotta have homeboy all wrapped up by now!!!

Cmon, Matts is way better than the Nook! Also at Matts its a Jucy Lucy, not Juicy. One problem we might have on the burger front is competing with In and Out burgers in Cali...

have lived in both arizona and minnesota. jucy lucy>in and out. no doubt.

I was talking about this with a coworker today, what ever happened to the whole reggie bush/oj mayo getting paid while at USC thing, why hasn't the NCAA(who ONLY supports STUDENT athletes)sarcasm alert! come down on USC for that. Was it completely unrelated to the USC programs or what?

two team mates from Cretin that went elsewhere and came back

Just one minor correction...Henderson was never teammates with Carufel and Royston, unless he played varsity as an 8th grader.

If he did, I stand corrected.

Don't forget about the 5-8 club boys and girls - Juicy Lucy with a variety of cheeses

The Nook is the best all around burger in town though.

Just to clarify, the number 2 player picked in this year's NFL draft played for... wait for it... Baylor! Doesn't matter where you go. Just matters what you can do as an individual.

With the BTN, the kid from CDH has a better chance of national exposure playing for the Gophs than anyone out of conference unless you get some kind of Saturday ticket on satellite. Isn't the PAC10 relegated to Fox Sports? Either way, it doesn't matter. The Big Ten is an elite conference, and regardless of tv time, NFL scouts will be at games, especially if opposing coaches start talking about how their d-linemen were getting pancaked play after play by him.

Just to clarify, the number 2 player picked in this year's NFL draft played for... wait for it... Baylor! Doesn't matter where you go. Just matters what you can do as an individual.

With the BTN, the kid from CDH has a better chance of national exposure playing for the Gophs than anyone out of conference unless you get some kind of Saturday ticket on satellite. Isn't the PAC10 relegated to Fox Sports? Either way, it doesn't matter. The Big Ten is an elite conference, and regardless of tv time, NFL scouts will be at games, especially if opposing coaches start talking about how their d-linemen were getting pancaked play after play by him.

I agree that he could go anywhere and still get drafted if he puts in the work at the next level, however the benefits of a USC are huge as they are in the second largest media market in the country, regardless of the the PAC-10 not having their own network, USC also does not have to compete with an NFL team for airtime in that market. NFL scouts would be there all the time because they can scout multiple players at once that have legitimate NFL talent. The stars at USC can become celebrities in a town of celebrities and being familiar to the viewers in such a large media market can make you very attractive for nice endorsement deals down the line. Throw in Pete Carroll's reputation and connections in the NFL and it makes it an attractive option. Also, playing well in major new years day bowls and or national championship games is a pretty good way to get national exposure overnight.

I was talking about this with a coworker today, what ever happened to the whole reggie bush/oj mayo getting paid while at USC thing, why hasn't the NCAA(who ONLY supports STUDENT athletes)sarcasm alert! come down on USC for that. Was it completely unrelated to the USC programs or what?

The NCAA can't do crap about the Reggie Bush scandal b/c they don't have the power to get the info they need. All the folks with the info clammed up and the NCAA can't subpoena anyone to talk. Reggie and his fam aren't talking and the source of the info that Yahoo sports used originally wouldn't talk to NCAA investigators (coincidentally Bush had just settled his lawsuit out of court). There is basically no chance that the NCAA ever hits USC for the Bush stuff. They might get drilled for Mayo, but that's a different sport and any sanctions wouldn't affect football.

Parents generally want what is best for their child and in Mr. Henderson's defense, USC has done a remarkable job getting their players to where Seantrel wants to eventually be- 1st round and paid. That's not to say it couldn't happen at Minnesota. Guys of his caliber can make it anywhere. Just saying that I understand if his dad is pushing for what would appear to be the safest option.

I would argue the safer option is here. USC gets guys like him every year, and it ain't easy moving up their depth chart. Sure he could still rise to the top there, but maybe not. Ask Walker Ashley.

Not to mention, you can't really say he'd get better coaching at USC, since our current line coach was good enough to have the same position at USC a few years ago.

Seantrel would start here from day 1 and have 3 years Big Ten experience before going into the draft.

I would argue the safer option is here. USC gets guys like him every year, and it ain't easy moving up their depth chart. Sure he could still rise to the top there, but maybe not. Ask Walker Ashley.

Not to mention, you can't really say he'd get better coaching at USC, since our current line coach was good enough to have the same position at USC a few years ago.

Seantrel would start here from day 1 and have 3 years Big Ten experience before going into the draft.

While USC has shown with Matt Cassel that you don't have to start there to make the NFL that is definitely the exception to the rule. I think a player would have to question himself and his future as a NFL player if he is not good enough to start there at USC. If you cannot beat out a handful of guys on your own team to start, what would make you think that that player would be able to beat out hundreds of guys fighting for an NFL spot? However, I think in the case of Seantrel however this will be mostly a moot point.

Top Bottom