ESPN publishes a huge feature on Rivalry Week and doesn't mention Minnesota/Wisconsin

everybody knows my name

Freakishly Hyperintelligent
Reaction score
They covered fifteen different rivalries and never mentioned Minnesota, Wisconsin, or the Axe. The dogs! Girl dogs. Sons of girl dogs.

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
They covered fifteen different rivalries and never mentioned Minnesota, Wisconsin, or the Axe. The dogs! Girl dogs. Sons of girl dogs.

The word you're looking for is "bitch."

As in, Bucky is going to be Goldy's bitch on Saturday.

Last edited:

HitMeAgainIAmStillMoving

Reaction score

I am torn between giving ESPN the flying elbow or the flying knee. I should start a survey.

Ski U Mah Gopher

Member of the Tribe
Reaction score
If you were writing the article, what would be your wildest on-field, weirdest off-field, and quote that defines the rivalry?

On-field - The Punt
Off-field - 2013 Defense of the Goal Posts
Quote - ????

Mulligan

Reaction score
If you were writing the article, what would be your wildest on-field, weirdest off-field, and quote that defines the rivalry?

On-field - The Punt
Off-field - 2013 Defense of the Goal Posts
Quote - ???
"F*** you. You drunk bastard." Me--coming out of the Dome after the Botched Punt game.

RememberMurray

Reaction score
If getting a mention from the poobahs at ESPN is what matters to you, here's what you need to root for to happen:

STEP ONE: Root for the Gophers to beat Wisconsin on Saturday

STEP TWO: Root for the Gophers to go to Indianapolis and beat the Big Ten East champion, and thereby win the Big Ten Championship

...and last, but most importantly...

STEP THREE: Root for the Gophers to suddenly join the SEC, and then beat Alabama for the SEC Championship 10 years in a row.

-----------

Then, and only then, the ESPN folks might murmur, in passing, something like this:

"Oh. Huh. Wow. Weird. Whaddya know. Check this out. Some little midwestern team might have just done... something."

Last edited:

gopherbadgerman

Reaction score
That’s true but not to be in the article featuring:
Ok vs ok state (ok 16 of last 18) 90-18 all time
Ohio state Michigan 17 of the last 20 for OSU
Georgia tech Georgia (16 of last 19 for Georgia
)Virginia tech vs Virginia (tech 17 of last 18)
Thats fair. I didnt see the article so I agree on that for sure.

FanSinceTheFifties

Reaction score
From a Minnesota point of view, the Vikings v Packers is the big cross-border rivalry. I don't know how Wisconsin fans feel about it.

Gophergrandpa

Reaction score
Gophergrandpa has such insight here that I might wonder if he is old enough to have witnessed such activity firsthand...🧩
I’m old … but not quite that old! Harding died in 1923, but his mistress, a young lady 30 years his junior, lived until 1991! Harding, famed for a “closet quickie” with his mistress in the WH, fathered a daughter with the mistress. Interesting story actually.

Last edited:

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
I’m old … but not quite that old! Harding died in 1923, but his mistress, a young lady 30 years his junior, lived until 1991! Harding, famed for a “closet quickie” with his mistress in the WH, fathered a daughter with the mistress. Interesting story actually.

The author is a fantastic writer-historian. Had a few chuckles reading that. Thanks for posting - human nature never changes, just social mores.

CoCoBadger

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the link; it is indeed an interesting story...love the heading: "Nan Britton, Nymphette". 😂

Six to Eight

Reaction score
All of them are in state rivals except for LSU-TAM and Michigan-OSU. Not a big deal that they left us out.
You are not wrong on any account. But including Arizona-ASU in an article about big rivalries is either stupid or pandering. No one cares about those teams outside a small radius. Neither of those teams have been consistently good, nor good at the same time. The article listed their '86 clash. Arizona vs ASU is both irrelevant and doesn't even have the history of the Ax game.

Top Bottom