ESPN Portal Data

The portal or NIL isn’t as big of an issue as the one time free transfer without sitting out in terms of damage to roster stability IMO

The portal or NIL isn’t as big of an issue as the one time free transfer without sitting out in terms of damage to roster stability IMO
I agree, but I think NIL is still pretty big. Kids won’t mind sitting out a year if they’re getting paid.

But coaches are free to go, right? Are players simply livestock now?

I agree, but I think NIL is still pretty big. Kids won’t mind sitting out a year if they’re getting paid.
Yeah, but Companies/individuals won’t pay people to sit out a year.

I’m not saying my opinion on what I think should happen. I’m telling how they could slow down what is happening

Livestock don't get free education along with room and board. Nor a huge stage and exposure upon which to possibly prepare for a lucrative career.

Professional coaches are no more comparable to amateur players / students as are teachers or administrators comparable to students.

Livestock don't get free education along with room and board. Nor a huge stage and exposure upon which to possibly prepare for a lucrative career.

Professional coaches are no more comparable to amateur players / students as are teachers or administrators comparable to students.
Livestock certainly get free room & board. But I get it, these kids are here for your entertainment. Carry on.

Most of the players understand that if they sign with University A, there is a chance the coach could retire or move on to a different job. All part of the gamble. That’s why they get the $40,000 (scholarship). No one can ever guarantee that their boss won’t jump ship and move on. Any athlete upset that their coach/es moved on to a new challenge probably should stay in the basement.

Most of the players understand that if they sign with University A, there is a chance the coach could retire or move on to a different job. All part of the gamble. That’s why they get the $40,000 (scholarship). No one can ever guarantee that their boss won’t jump ship and move on. Any athlete upset that their coach/es moved on to a new challenge probably should stay in the basement.

You focused on an irrelevant point. My guess is that few are actually that upset. It's just an acknowledged cause for transfer. The issue is one of freedom of choice. For too long, there were too many one-sided restrictions on that.

But if a regular scholarship student wants to transfer schools they don't need to sit out a year. why is the athletic scholarship different?

Your comparison with a job and salary is interesting. If an employee joins a company and they get a new boss they don’t like, their role with the company changes, or they think there is another job that’s a better fit elsewhere, they are free to go, right? Would you advocate that employees should not be allowed to move companies? That’s why they get their salary, right?

Livestock certainly get free room & board. But I get it, these kids are here for your entertainment. Carry on.
Those who are good enough can choose to perform both for their own satisfaction and for fans. They are still students and amateurs. Nobody is forced or required to play college sports. Many 18-year-olds wisely forgo college for the workplace. Free choice.

Carry on with your scary world of victimization.

What happened to the other 46 %? These can't be all about kids losing scholarships. Are some grad transfers or players who already have a degree on hand?

That is a lot of players.

But if a regular scholarship student wants to transfer schools they don't need to sit out a year. why is the athletic scholarship different?
Athletes have one free transfer. Regular students are not offered money to change schools. If you don't believe college athletics need any rules you have plenty of support from the NCAA.

Happens all the time
People all the time pay money to have someone sit out a basketball or football season?

Or people pay all the time for someone who adds value to the company eventually come aboard?

Athletes have one free transfer. Regular students are not offered money to change schools. If you don't believe college athletics need any rules you have plenty of support from the NCAA.

I never said that, I asked a question you didn't answer. (plus students can get a scholarship when they transfer so you are wrong) I have no love for any of this even though I think on its face the one time free transfer is fair all things considered. My opinions on NIL (the pay you brought up out of nowhere) and how it should be relegated are a different and problem for me...one that leads to me not watching college sports anymore.

But lets get back on topic...are you all for the free transfer then?. All things being equal are you ok with a player being allowed to switch schools without sitting out? And if not, then go back to my original question and this time answer it.

I'm in the weird place of realizing that free transfer and NIL are probably the "legal" thing to do, yet I feel it will probably ruin college sports for me. Pro sports (with the exception of MLB) at least have a salary cap and draft to keep things sort of equal. College won't have that and never will. It will be hard to keep it a level playing field.

People all the time pay money to have someone sit out a basketball or football season?

Or people pay all the time for someone who adds value to the company eventually come aboard?
Plenty of back up QBs getting paid.

The same ones paying now.
To me, players making a couple hundred dollars aren’t what this conversation was about. I’m sure there are a lot of people making less than 10k per year that aren’t playing.
Are there a lot of people making 30-40-50k+ that aren’t playing?

Because the problem people are talking about isn’t a bunch of transfers of people to move schools to get a 400 dollar NiL deal with a local rib joint

I never said that, I asked a question you didn't answer. (plus students can get a scholarship when they transfer so you are wrong) I have no love for any of this even though I think on its face the one time free transfer is fair all things considered. My opinions on NIL (the pay you brought up out of nowhere) and how it should be relegated are a different and problem for me...one that leads to me not watching college sports anymore.

But lets get back on topic...are you all for the free transfer then?. All things being equal are you ok with a player being allowed to switch schools without sitting out? And if not, then go back to my original question and this time answer it.
Here you go ...

I am All For one free transfer for college athletes. Gives kids a chance to correct a poor choice made at 18. Also provides opportunity to move up or down to better match abilities and provides chance for more playing time.

I am not in favor of allowing better players to compete as amateurs while being paid as professionals. This is hurting college sports for all but elite programs. Minnesota will be hurt.

To me, players making a couple hundred dollars aren’t what this conversation was about. I’m sure there are a lot of people making less than 10k per year that aren’t playing.
Are there a lot of people making 30-40-50k+ that aren’t playing?

Because the problem people are talking about isn’t a bunch of transfers of people to move schools to get a 400 dollar NiL deal with a local rib joint
So you think no one will pony up to attract big time transfers if those transfers have to sit a year? They will still get paid just like the best high schoolers get paid to attend the blue chip schools even though most don’t play a lot on year one.

Top Bottom