ESPN: Penn State's Journey Brown retiring from football due to heart condition

Taji34

Reaction score
Penn State running back Journey Brown is medically retiring from football after being diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Head coach James Franklin announced Wednesday night that the redshirt junior would no longer be able to play. Brown had been held out of the season, as Penn State announced in October that a medical condition was discovered in the offseason.

[...]

"It was discovered through a routine COVID-19 test, although it is not COVID-related," Franklin said. "We learned about this in early September, and we've been working through this and dealing with this as a team. Journey is one of the most popular and respected players on our team.

[...]

Brown started 10 games for Penn State last season and led the team with 890 yards and 12 touchdowns. The 5-foot-11, 217-pound back was set to be one of the more important players coming back on offense.

The article is far longer than what I quoted above, just pulled out a few of the important bits for the post.

Interesting, the Yahoo sports alert I got about this a while ago totally made it sound like it was the heart condition that has been linked to Covid which apparently it wasn't.

Always sucks when stuff like this comes up and forces players to retire. On the plus side it was good that they found it.

Interesting, the Yahoo sports alert I got about this a while ago totally made it sound like it was the heart condition that has been linked to Covid which apparently it wasn't.

Always sucks when stuff like this comes up and forces players to retire. On the plus side it was good that they found it.
I read somewhere, maybe on twitter, that he received an EKG because something in a covid test didn’t look correct.
Im not a doctor so I probably got it wrong, but covid was involved in finding it but he never had covid.

What a shame, that guy could bust a game wide open in a few seconds, as we saw last a year ago at TCF. We have not had a guy like that since Maroney.

I read somewhere, maybe on twitter, that he received an EKG because something in a covid test didn’t look correct.
Im not a doctor so I probably got it wrong, but covid was involved in finding it but he never had covid.

"It was discovered through a routine COVID-19 test, although it is not COVID-related," Franklin said.

Top Bottom