ESPN - Oregon going to their "B" List

Moonlight

Reaction score
"Tubby probably not going" Just said during break during NIT games.

"Tubby probably not going" Just said during break during NIT games.

Just a few hours ago ESPN talking heads were discussing Tubby's "offer" - now Shooter comes out and quotes Tubby directly and ESPN talking heads say that Tubby probably won't go. This is bizzaro world as ESPN is getting the biggest offseason coaching circle scoops from two co-workers at the same paper with conflicting sources. Crazy.

Go Gophers!!

ESPN Insider crossed Tubby of the list for Oregon candidates. FWIW, they have Oregon "talking about" Randy Bennett and Dave Rose.

Andy Katz is the one who said Oregon has moved on to its "B" list. Katz has consistently said Tubby is staying at Minnesota.

I'm going to enjoy the CYA in the media the next few days.

CYA from who? From Tubby?

I, for one, think Tubby played this masterfully. It is how an in-demand man gets what he wants. He doesn't even have to open his mouth to get what he wants. I believe this move will deliver him a $2+ million annual salary and a practice facility. It might even guarantee this is his retirement job with a succession to Saul, but that is getting a little out there at this point.

The media does not do CYA's. They throw it out and if they are wrong, so be it. When was the last time a media person apologized for getting it wrong and hurting a lot of people on the way? The only accountability for them is no one reading, watching or listening to their stuff, and that's a tough score. I hate the gossip perpetuated by Seth Davis, but I'm not going to boycott the Final Four because he is an idiot. He gets off scott free.

CYA from who? From Tubby?

I, for one, think Tubby played this masterfully. It is how an in-demand man gets what he wants. He doesn't even have to open his mouth to get what he wants. I believe this move will deliver him a $2+ million annual salary and a practice facility. It might even guarantee this is his retirement job with a succession to Saul, but that is getting a little out there at this point.

No - I'm talking about all the pundits who called him gone to all these places.

Seth Davis in particular

And Dennis Dodd on the morning of the tournament game with Tubby being "close to a deal" despite the reality that Auburn's budget and subsequent interview list was focused at the mid-major level.

Go Gophers!!

No - I'm talking about all the pundits who called him gone to all these places.

Seth Davis in particular
Thanks Bleed, SS. I'm painting the living room and just catching the news with one ear.

Minnesota should petition for an apology from Davis for saying "everyone knows Tubby wants out of Minnesota".
This is the statement that bugs me the most.

Fran's move to Iowa demonstrates how positively many people view living in the Midwest and the Midwest values and the Midwest educational opportunities. My sister taught in the N.Carolina system and was really glad to accept a prof position at UW Madison and be back in this area.

Oregon should have started with their B list

The reality of it is, there aren't THAT many big time coaches that will move just for a few more bucks. Their 'B' list should probably have been their 'A' list. It doesn't help their search now that they're onto the 'B' list.

The reality of it is, there aren't THAT many big time coaches that will move just for a few more bucks. Their 'B' list should probably have been their 'A' list. It doesn't help their search now that they're onto the 'B' list.
LOL - thanks - post of the day!

The talking heads said...

The talking heads said that the problem with Oregon is that they let out what they were up to in their search. I can't help but wonder if that is true or if the sports media just keeps guessing and Oregon hasn't done a thing.

then maybe someone needs to write a letter to the editor calling out these fools. Dodd and all the other pundits throwing things against the wall to see if they stick doesn't cut it. They should lose all credibility with their readers.

arrogant Oregon comments

I know posters aren;t always representative of a fan base (wink, wink), but I'm getting a kick out of bunch of the posters at oregonlive.com. They have an exaggerated sense of the importance of Oregon basketball, probably because of the $$ being made available for the next coach. I'm going to enjoy it when they end up hiring a "tier 2" coach, even though that might end up being a great hire in the end, just because of the arrogance of some of the posters.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksbeat/2010/03/oregon_ducks_comment_of_the_da_30.html

The talking heads said that the problem with Oregon is that they let out what they were up to in their search. I can't help but wonder if that is true or if the sports media just keeps guessing and Oregon hasn't done a thing.

Well that and the fact that they are trying to bring in elite level coaches without telling them their boss will be. Have you ever interviewed for a position without a clear understanding of who you'll be working with (for)? It is awkward and to somebody that already has a good job with good pay it won't be easy to convince them to leave.

I know posters aren;t always representative of a fan base (wink, wink), but I'm getting a kick out of bunch of the posters at oregonlive.com. They have an exaggerated sense of the importance of Oregon basketball, probably because of the $$ being made available for the next coach. I'm going to enjoy it when they end up hiring a "tier 2" coach, even though that might end up being a great hire in the end, just because of the arrogance of some of the posters.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksbeat/2010/03/oregon_ducks_comment_of_the_da_30.html

I read the comments and they don't seem very outlandish. Oregon fans, at least on your link, seem pretty cool.

They seem just like some fans from another board...;)

Thanks Bleed, SS. I'm painting the living room and just catching the news with one ear.

Minnesota should petition for an apology from Davis for saying "everyone knows Tubby wants out of Minnesota".
This is the statement that bugs me the most.

Fran's move to Iowa demonstrates how positively many people view living in the Midwest and the Midwest values and the Midwest educational opportunities. My sister taught in the N.Carolina system and was really glad to accept a prof position at UW Madison and be back in this area.

In the case of Davis, I'm not sure asking for an apology would even be worth the effort. It would only hold water until he made his next nonensical statement, which would likely be sometime before the apology was even finished.

It's quite telling that Tubby himself seems mystified be all this ridiculous chatter. Based on what he told shooter, apparently he can't figure it out. It's kind of the same statement that Izzo made one day earlier. And media folks wonder why they are often looked down upon? The last two weeks with Tubby have been like a blueprint for media bungling.

And speaking of bungling, could Oregon's search have been handled any worse? First it's an offer to Izzo (which Izzo denies). Then it's an offer to Tubby (which Tubby denies). And now, according to ESPN, it's on to plan B. All of which transpires while Bellotti's "severance" package is being looked over by the justice department. Jeebus. Anything else? :eek:

And speaking of bungling, could Oregon's search have been handled any worse? First it's an offer to Izzo (which Izzo denies). Then it's an offer to Tubby (which Tubby denies). And now, according to ESPN, it's on to plan B. All of which transpires while Bellotti's "severance" package is being looked over by the justice department. Jeebus. Anything else? :eek:

This seems right to me. One word to remember, Oregon head basketball coach committee: hubris.

Top Bottom