ESPN: Most indispensable players: Minnesota (Liedner, Cockran)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Rittenberg:

Mitch Leidner, QB, So.

Leidner is by no means a finished product and must make significant strides as a passer after completing just 55 percent of his passes for 619 yards as a platoon player in 2013. But his value has skyrocketed in recent months. Philip Nelson's transfer in January leaves Leidner as Minnesota's only quarterback with significant game experience. Perhaps more important, Minnesota wants to be a power offense that controls the ball and the clock and wears down its opponent. The 6-foot-4, 233-pound Leidner brings a lot to the field as a ball-carrier, and if he makes just minimal strides with his passing, he could be very dangerous going forward. This spring, Leidner established himself as the team's unquestioned leader on offense. Although reserves Chris Streveler and Dimonic Roden-McKinzy both are good athletes, Leidner would be a significant loss as Minnesota looks to bolster its offensive production.

Theiren Cockran, DE, Jr.

Coordinator Tracy Claeys expects more from a pretty stingy defense in 2014, citing improved depth throughout the unit. But after losing disruptive defensive tackle Ra'Shede Hageman to the NFL draft, the Gophers want to maintain a threat up front. Cockran certainly provides one after a breakout sophomore season in which he led the Big Ten in forced fumbles (4) and finished third in sacks (7.5). Listed at 6-foot-6 and 238 pounds, Cockran has both height and speed and could become even more of a force as he grows into his frame (he wants to play this season at 255 pounds). The Gophers have some experience on the line with players such as end Michael Amaefula and tackle Cameron Botticelli, but Cockran is the potential game-changer, and after losing Hageman, the Gophers need No. 55 on the field.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/101697/most-indispensable-players-minnesota-3

Go Gophers!!

Theiren Cockran, DE, Jr.

Coordinator Tracy Claeys expects more from a pretty stingy defense in 2014, citing improved depth throughout the unit. But after losing disruptive defensive tackle Ra'Shede Hageman to the NFL draft, the Gophers want to maintain a threat up front. Cockran certainly provides one after a breakout sophomore season in which he led the Big Ten in forced fumbles (4) and finished third in sacks (7.5). Listed at 6-foot-6 and 238 pounds, Cockran has both height and speed and could become even more of a force as he grows into his frame (he wants to play this season at 255 pounds). The Gophers have some experience on the line with players such as end Michael Amaefula and tackle Cameron Botticelli, but Cockran is the potential game-changer, and after losing Hageman, the Gophers need No. 55 on the field.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/101697/most-indispensable-players-minnesota-3

Go Gophers!!

If we can get pressure from the edges rushing four, our defense will be very good. Our linebackers all run well and our secondary is top 3 in the B1G IMO. Last year our secondary helped the line with coverage sacks...this year the line will help the secondary more. I predict 50 plus sacks this year and a top 3 rated scoring defense in the B1G and and a fourth place overall finish in conference!

If we can get pressure from the edges rushing four, our defense will be very good. Our linebackers all run well and our secondary is top 3 in the B1G IMO. Last year our secondary helped the line with coverage sacks...this year the line will help the secondary more. I predict 50 plus sacks this year and a top 3 rated scoring defense in the B1G and and a fourth place overall finish in conference!

Love the enthusiasm! If we get 35 sacks I will jump for joy.

I'd say Damien Wilson is our most indispensable with him having the biggest talent and experience gap compared to the next man up which will probably be Lynn at MLB although he might start at OLB as well. There isn't a big enough gap between Leidner and Streveler and we have good depth along the D-line. All of the other positions have very good depth or just don't have a true threat at all(WRs). Cockran would probably be my #2 though. Easily our best returning player. We just have too much depth for a stud like Maxx or Cobb to be on a list like this.

I have noticed that Rittenberg's most indispensable players are one from each side of the ball.

After Leidner, the QBs have taken exactly 0 snaps in a game. That make Mitch the most indispensable on offense.

How about Eric Murray? He is our best CB and we need him. They put him "on an island" routinely last year and it allowed others to shine. I like D-Wells, but let's be honest that he has trouble staying on the field. I like BBC, but let's be honest that we have only seen him shine in limited action against non-B1G opponents to this point - AND he's coming off major surgery. One of the reasons our D was so good last year is Vareen and (more-so IMO) Murray didn't need (much) help. I love our secondary, but worry they could be ordinary in a second if Murray isn't out there. Most indispensable? Maybe not, but darn close.

might wanna pump the brakes there. no one had more than 50 last year with Stanford being #1 at 44.

How about Eric Murray? He is our best CB and we need him. They put him "on an island" routinely last year and it allowed others to shine. I like D-Wells, but let's be honest that he has trouble staying on the field. I like BBC, but let's be honest that we have only seen him shine in limited action against non-B1G opponents to this point - AND he's coming off major surgery. One of the reasons our D was so good last year is Vareen and (more-so IMO) Murray didn't need (much) help. I love our secondary, but worry they could be ordinary in a second if Murray isn't out there. Most indispensable? Maybe not, but darn close.
Murray's the best player on D, IMO, but Wells and BBC ( if healthy), plus Myrick is really good depth. The othet DEs are fine, but I don't see the big-play ability that Cockran has shown.

I'd say Damien Wilson is our most indispensable with him having the biggest talent and experience gap compared to the next man up which will probably be Lynn at MLB although he might start at OLB as well.

I agree 100% with this. I definitely think Damien is the most indispensable player on the defense, particularly with the uncertainty around the rest of the surrounding cast; Poock's injury, the work-in-progress development of D. Campbell, and a bunch of guys who don't have much PT. I think some guys will emerge from the underclassmen, but it's hard to depend on it or assume it will happen.

90+% of the time the most indispensable player on offense is the QB, so they aren't really going out on a limb there. The defense can make a case for Cockran, Wilson, or Murray. Murray is probably the best player on D, but I'd go with Wilson for the reasons Ogee listed.

yup

90+% of the time the most indispensable player on offense is the QB, so they aren't really going out on a limb there. The defense can make a case for Cockran, Wilson, or Murray. Murray is probably the best player on D, but I'd go with Wilson for the reasons Ogee listed.

I agree with this, mostly. ha Leidner is my biggest overall key. Then, I think Murray is the next in line, then Wilson, then Cockran. Murray does a great job! Murray makes other people better. I think vereen did the same but I'm hopeful, he's replaceable. To be the best we can be I think those four guys need to be in the lineup healthy. We need our offensive line guys to get healthy and stay healthy. Losing Bak eliminates a piece. Maybe he is replaceable but lose somebody else and it's not as secure. Great to hear Christensen is on track to play. Epping's attitude, I think is pretty critical to the success of the the line, along with his play. Epping is my 5th.

When the DTs collapse the pocket and the DEs get pressure off the edge, I see pick 6 being a player in 2014 victories. This D will score. The O needs to move the ball and keep them fresh. I love the 2 TE sets.

Top Bottom