ESPN: Minnesota president stands by bans: 'Much bigger than football'

see my comment you quoted. and each time you feel like replying incredulously that you think you are "right" on this issue.....see my previous comment that you have quoted. cheers!

Hey, I know you like patting yourself on the back, so good job. I'm not even going to argue because I admit, I don't know what the NCAA deems as a violation or not in this instance. I just assumed it was, and I'm glad I had a really smart guy such as yourself to point out that my "guess" of how next year's team would be affected was wrong. Would you like a prize?

Hey, I know you like patting yourself on the back, so good job. I'm not even going to argue because I admit, I don't know what the NCAA deems as a violation or not in this instance. I just assumed it was, and I'm glad I had a really smart guy such as yourself to point out that my "guess" of how next year's team would be affected was wrong. Would you like a prize?

not patting myself on the back at all. one, you don't know me. two, was simply replying to your somewhat baseless assertion that there is going to be some huge NCAA investigation about to be under way. if that makes you that annoyed with me...so be it, i guess.

not patting myself on the back at all. one, you don't know me. two, was simply replying to your somewhat baseless assertion that there is going to be some huge NCAA investigation about to be under way. if that makes you that annoyed with me...so be it, i guess.

Really? All of what I said was baseless. It wasn't anything that was factual. I was just guessing at what next year could be like. How did you take that so seriously as to try to correct it? Because you wanted to look smart right? Good for you. Again, you win. Go back and read what I said, do you honestly think I was betting my house on those things happening? I was simply just making a guess at what could happen. All things considered, a drunk underage recruit involved in a criminal incident, would lead most to believe there could be some sort of violation. I based it off of that. Again, glad that you are confident that that won't happen, because I'm a gopher fan, and would hate to see things get worse than they already are. Again, here is a pat on your back... you win the internet!

Really? All of what I said was baseless. It wasn't anything that was factual. I was just guessing at what next year could be like. How did you take that so seriously as to try to correct it? Because you wanted to look smart right? Good for you. Again, you win. Go back and read what I said, do you honestly think I was betting my house on those things happening? I was simply just making a guess at what could happen. All things considered, a drunk underage recruit involved in a criminal incident, would lead most to believe there could be some sort of violation. I based it off of that. Again, glad that you are confident that that won't happen, because I'm a gopher fan, and would hate to see things get worse than they already are. Again, here is a pat on your back... you win the internet!

:clap:

I, for one, won't be giving any money to the football team via tickets, or any donation to the school beyond hockey ticket related donations until house is cleaned including staff and players.

Bigger than football is right.

This is not going to end well for the boycotting players. Life is not always fair and the University has the right to discipline students that do not follow their rules as they see fit. It is not a legal question, there is no innocent until proven guilty, free speech, nor does it go to a court of law, etc... I admire the players loyalty, but they have virtually no leverage in this fight. Some of these suspended players could very well have been punished unfairly or just through association, but that doesn't really matter now.

It is like back in high school if you were caught driving around in a car with your buddies who were doing drugs or drinking. You still get punished even if you weren't taking drugs or drinking. Also, assuming the stories are correct, how can you stand there in line waiting for "your turn" and not know that what you are doing is wrong? There is no way you can explain that situation to your mother!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And did you read that the Star Tribune has a story on it and an official U of M spokesman has already publicly stated that the U did not, will not, and does not need to report the "recruit" matter in question to the NCAA or Big Ten because the matter does not, and did not, violate any specific NCAA or Big Ten rule/policy. i.e. Yes, a sex act happened, but just because it happened doesn't mean it has anything to do with NCAA/Big Ten rules/policy specific to recruiting and/or institutional control matters.

But if I said it does, then that proves it. right? /s

Instead of "Driven to Discover" Kaler ought to change the slogan to "Driven to Lynch", or Driven to Tar and Feather", or pick your metaphor.

As long as they feel it was a violation, it's a violation. Proof is irrelevant. It's the new world. A grand awakening.

This is not going to end well for the boycotting players. Life is not always fair and the University has the right to discipline students that do not follow their rules as they see fit. It is not a legal question, there is no innocent until proven guilty, free speech, nor does it go to a court of law, etc... I admire the players loyalty, but they have virtually no leverage in this fight. Some of these suspended players could very well have been punished unfairly or just through association, but that doesn't really matter now.

It is like back in high school if you were caught driving around in a car with your buddies who were doing drugs or drinking. You still get punished even if you weren't taking drugs or drinking. Also, assuming the stories are correct, how can you stand there in line waiting for "your turn" and not know that what you are doing is wrong? There is no way you can explain that situation to your mother!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's actually nothing like that.

I, for one, won't be giving any money to the football team via tickets, or any donation to the school beyond hockey ticket related donations until house is cleaned including staff and players.

Bigger than football is right.

Guaranteed the hockey team has had at least gang bang with their hockey groupies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're going to hire Caruso.

No real coach would touch this program.
First of all, I personally think Caruso is a better Xs and Os coach than coach Claeys.

Second of all, from my knowledge of st Thomas I would put Caruso's salary at somewhere between 175-250k. They've given him a pretty penny to keep him from bolting for FCS jobs (he has coordinator experience at the FCS level).

Obviously Minnesota is a better job than st Thomas but...what do you take?

200k, winning, and a d3 lifetime contract
Or
600k, losing, complete chaos, and likely four years and a firing at the big ten level?

Option 1 may be a better option for some people

Just wanted to say how proud I am of your university. It's refreshing to see a school not give in to a football team and understand there is indeed things bigger than football.

I like to think that Big Ten members (at least charter members) understand this and would not allow some football wins to overshadow the welfare of others.

Hats off to your president and to the vast majority of you guys who were not delusional and very reasonable.

Just wanted to say how proud I am of your university. It's refreshing to see a school not give in to a football team and understand there is indeed things bigger than football.

I like to think that Big Ten members (at least charter members) understand this and would not allow some football wins to overshadow the welfare of others.

Hats off to your president and to the vast majority of you guys who were not delusional and very reasonable.

Billy-D_Approves.gif

Our president will be buried in lawsuits soon, so...

You've already shown yourself to lack critical thinking skills. Michigan grad?

Our president will be buried in lawsuits soon, so...

You've already shown yourself to lack critical thinking skills. Michigan grad?

You've been one of the delusional posters.

Pretty sure they can suspend these players just for being involved in any activity they deem inappropriate in relation to the code of conduct, especially scholarship athletes. I went to medical school, so I won't pretend to be an expert in law but given your recent posts you're just upset at this situation and are desperately trying to justify the players actions. I'm glad Minnesota nutted up and stood their ground. I hope every player even remotely connected in those texts and in that building are rightfully kicked off the team. The law means nothing in this scenario. A coach/school can kick a player off the team just because of something they say at practice. Even if this wasn't borderline rape at best, these players obviously lack judgement and respect/decency (based on texts). Not the type of guys that I'd want getting a free ride through my University and representing my University on the football field, which in today's world is the center stage for schools. You'd fit right in over at Happy Valley.

The players will get due process by law and can clear their name if truly innocent. But again, even being remotely tied to this scenario is grounds for suspension at the very least, your school and most rational people (including most on this board) agree. Even their teammates realized this once they saw what was really going on. Perhaps if they're innocent some FCS or a school with a lack of morale compass that doesn't care what activities their players are involved in legal or not, will give these kids another chance.

Pretty sure they can suspend these players just for being involved in any activity they deem inappropriate in relation to the code of conduct, especially scholarship athletes. I went to medical school, so I won't pretend to be an expert in law but given your recent posts you're just upset at this situation and are desperately trying to justify the players actions. I'm glad Minnesota nutted up and stood their ground. I hope every player even remotely connected in those texts and in that building are rightfully kicked off the team. The law means nothing in this scenario. A coach/school can kick a player off the team just because of something they say at practice. Even if this wasn't borderline rape at best, these players obviously lack judgement and respect/decency (based on texts). Not the type of guys that I'd want getting a free ride through my University and representing my University on the football field, which in today's world is the center stage for schools. You'd fit right in over at Happy Valley.

The players will get due process by law and can clear their name if truly innocent. But again, even being remotely tied to this scenario is grounds for suspension at the very least, your school and most rational people (including most on this board) agree. Even their teammates realized this once they saw what was really going on. Perhaps if they're innocent some FCS or a school with a lack of morale compass that doesn't care what activities their players are involved in legal or not, will give these kids another chance.

Love it. Now a typical Ann Arbor know it all is judge / jury and expert on current college culture.

Slimey Jim Harbaugh would be first in line to try to sign a couple of these players.

Knock it off, HailHail. You are going to make me do something I'll regret like praising Michigan.

You're correct in that players can be kicked off the team for many reasons and out of school for many reasons. What they can't do is try someone for rape and label that person as such without repercussion.

You have exposed yourself as one of the minimally informed individuals that seem to know little about the EOAA investigatory process.

The rest of your rant is garbage opinion,

As a physician surely you are aware of the ever present threat of malpractice. Or more likely you are an intern or resident and this concept is perhaps beginning to dawn on you. You better hope when your disgruntled patient or complication comes back and names you as incompetent you are provided a better process than these students are. And when the plaintiffs hire a physician to shred your credibility you are given an opportunity. In your world you would lose your license, lose your reputation, lose your livelihood over a he said she said.

Wake up.

Knock it off, HailHail. You are going to make me do something I'll regret like praising Michigan.

Hey now, I always cheer for the Gophers when you guys play anyone other than us! I only hate PSU, MSU and OSU ;) oh and Notre Dame.

I also think the jug is the best trophy in all of sports!

Slimey Jim Harbaugh would be first in line to try to sign a couple of these players.

Jim Harbaugh just booted 4* WR Ahmir Mitchell back to Rutgers after being enrolled for a couple months for using a "found" credit card and some weed. So, I'm not sure about that.
But yes, he's a scumbag and terrible human because he acts like a lunatic on a football field.

Top Bottom