ESPN: Gray wants to play QB

Reaction score
Minnesota Golden Gophers Minnesota's coaching search will also have a huge impact on perhaps the Gophers' most talented player, sophomore QB/WR MarQueis Gray. Gray had been tabbed as Adam Weber's successor at QB by ousted coach Tim Brewster, but obviously that promise no longer carries any weight, which means that Gray, who is playing WR this season while also serving as the backup QB, could be faced with a dilemma: remain at Minnesota as a WR or transfer to play QB.

"If the (new) coach thinks I'm a receiver, we're going to talk about it, because I want to play quarterback next year," Gray said. "That's what I'm going to work at in the offseason."

Interim coach Jeff Horton said he had already devised a Pistol formation to take advantage of Gray's talents, but that's obviously out the window as well. (Horton doesn't expect to return as offensive coordinator.)

We imagine that the new hire will find a way to keep Gray happy (put another way, that athletic director Joel Maturi wouldn't hire someone who won't keep Gray happy), though one need look no further than Big Ten brethren Michigan to see the consequences of going in another direction. The Wolverines drove off Ryan Mallett when they hired Rich Rodriguez.

- Albert Lin

Darned him! His selfishness could upset the delicate balance on one of America's great college offensive juggernauts.

I think we are now officially out of bowl consideration (like we weren't any way). Webster isn't going to play in the pros and he has all the U of M records. Give me one reason not to give Gray and Moses the playing time.

Sounds like a fishing expedition. There is nothing in that quote that suggests that he might transfer if he's not the quarterback. It just says "we're going to talk about it". The writer weasels be saying "could be faced with a dilemma". If Alipate winds up being the better option at QB, that's who should be next year's QB. If that's the case, then does Gray take a dual role as starting WR and backup QB? Or just to be the backup QB?

Non sense

The decision to hire a coach should not depend on the "possible" decision of one player

I love Gray but I agree with this 100%.

x2.

But if Gray really doesn't have what it takes to quarterback the Gophers, I would hope that at the bare minimum we get a coach that's capable of explaining to him the value of having a potential career as a WR in the NFL versus two years of playing QB in Conference USA.

There are a lot more WRs that make NFL teams than QBs.

In all reality, Gray is the only legitimate candidate currently on the roster to QB this team next year.

Wasn't it a Big Ten Network or ESPN expert that thought he had more potential than Terrelle Pryor after watching a practice last year? I realize Pryor probably left a bad taste in your mouth after his performance last week, but he is one of the biggest game-changers in college football.

There are a lot more WRs that make NFL teams than QBs.

Bingo. Look at Antwaan Randle El. Played QB (and very well) for Indiana. While he's not been a superstar in the NFL, he's had a nice eight year career so far. That's nothing to sneeze at.

In all reality, Gray is the only legitimate candidate currently on the roster to QB this team next year.

And how do you know that? Alipate could win the job. And besides, the Gophers could be better off with both Alipate and Gray on the field than with just Gray on the field.

Wasn't it a Big Ten Network or ESPN expert that thought he had more potential than Terrelle Pryor after watching a practice last year? I realize Pryor probably left a bad taste in your mouth after his performance last week, but he is one of the biggest game-changers in college football.

Yes. Gerry DiNardo. And it was 2 years ago, before Gray's test scores were flagged and he had to grayshirt.

I believe his exact quote was something to the effect of "Gray is a much better passer than Pryor".

And how do you know that? Alipate could win the job. And besides, the Gophers could be better off with both Alipate and Gray on the field than with just Gray on the field.

we r screwed if alipate is our starting QB next year.

Bingo. Look at Antwaan Randle El. Played QB (and very well) for Indiana. While he's not been a superstar in the NFL, he's had a nice eight year career so far. That's nothing to sneeze at.

Yea, because I want Minnesota to focus on getting players ready for the NFL, as opposed to winning Big Ten games.

Who are you people?

When T-Magic of Nebraska was on the same field as Jake Locker, the best QB, BY FAR in that game was T Magic. Yet it is Locker that will get selected in rd 1 of the NFL.

Get your priorities straight. The Rose Bowl isn't awarded to the team with the most NFL alum.

Have you seen Alipate on the sidelines lately? He looks closer to an olinemen than QB. That's how I know Gray is the only legit option on this team.

Yea, because I want Minnesota to focus on getting players ready for the NFL, as opposed to winning Big Ten games.

Who are you people?

When T-Magic of Nebraska was on the same field as Jake Locker, the best QB, BY FAR in that game was T Magic. Yet it is Locker that will get selected in rd 1 of the NFL.

Get your priorities straight. The Rose Bowl isn't awarded to the team with the most NFL alum.

I think people are talking about Gray being an NFL-caliber WR more as a way of pointing out that a coach should be able to convince him to be happy playing there for us. Some kids get caught up in their own hype and have difficulty with the change, but if enough people tell him he's not good enough to play OB for a weak college team but he COULD play WR on Sundays, I would hope he'll eventually see the light. (If that is actually the case.)

Top Bottom