ESPN: Ex-Michigan student: Bo Schembechler knew of sexual abuse

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

A former Michigan student says the football program's most famous coach, Bo Schembechler, knew about the sexual misconduct of then-team doctor Robert Anderson.

The accuser, identified as John Doe EB-17, worked as a play-by-play announcer for football games during his time at the University of Michigan in the early 1980s. In a lawsuit filed in federal court Thursday morning, John Doe EB-17 said he told Schembechler directly on two separate occasions that Anderson, who died in 2008, sexually abused him during an appointment to treat severe headaches.

Go Gophers!!

It boggles my mind to think someone knows something about that ... and does nothing.

"I cannot blame Bo for not being able to come forward," he said. "...This was Don Canham's job."

I don't get that either. Like you know someone has / is abusing people... I don't buy into the 'well legally I'm in the clear because I'm not legally liable'... like wut?

Much Joe at Penn St. just walking away is a total moral failure, and to me that possibly implies they knew a fuck ton more than that one report....but you're in too deep to report it now and in full cover up mode.

Wonder what coach will be next. These issue continues to be ignored.

I wonder if right at this moment they're ignored when reported as much as they were in the past.

I think there's a lot more awareness of it now ... I like to think more folks are more likely to come forward ... I like to think that ...

I do worry that some of the mandatory reporter rules might actually discourage victims from reporting to someone, but that remains to be seen.

Although not exactly the same, there were stories in one of Woody Hayes' books about how one of this former players was known to ride the elevator in a dorm and when alone with one other male student would "beat the hell out of them." He eventually had to kick him off the team, even though "he was a pretty good player." The way I read it Woody saw no need to take any responsibility for the player's actions. But Woody brought this guy to campus and I think he does have some responsibility for his player's behavior. I also think that the university is partically responsible for the reported behavior of its professors and other staff, including team doctors.

No they don't.

Schemby died 14 years ago and stopped coaching 30 years ago. Makes no sense to say this is being ignored continually and in the present. This story is not about now.

No they don't.

Schemby died 14 years ago and stopped coaching 30 years ago. Makes no sense to say this is being ignored continually and in the present. This story is not about now.
I hope you're right. I wouldn't be a betting man though that it's over.

I'm sorry but it is one player accusation. It's not like other stories where it was several people have came forward.

It always takes one at the beginning of a scandal then others gain courage to report abuse also.

It boggles my mind to think someone knows something about that ... and does nothing.

I don't get that either. Like you know someone has / is abusing people... I don't buy into the 'well legally I'm in the clear because I'm not legally liable'... like wut?

Much Joe at Penn St. just walking away is a total moral failure, and to me that possibly implies they knew a fuck ton more than that one report....but you're in too deep to report it now and in full cover up mode.
Maybe.

Or maybe there was this one report. Bo reported to superiors who investigated and found it to be unsubstantiated or without credibility

hard for me to declare someone guilty or innocent based on a couple paragraphs written 30-40 years after the fact. Clearly not hard for you to declare someone guilty.

Although not exactly the same, there were stories in one of Woody Hayes' books about how one of this former players was known to ride the elevator in a dorm and when alone with one other male student would "beat the hell out of them." He eventually had to kick him off the team, even though "he was a pretty good player." The way I read it Woody saw no need to take any responsibility for the player's actions. But Woody brought this guy to campus and I think he does have some responsibility for his player's behavior. I also think that the university is partically responsible for the reported behavior of its professors and other staff, including team doctors.

Sounds like pretty much every junior high, ever. Woody wasn’t the gentlest of souls.

How is this allegation going over in Big Blue country? 🤔

It's an allegation from 40 years ago.

Let God deal with it in the His court.

Top Bottom