ESPN: Duke's Kara Lawson Says Men's Basketball Used in First Half

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

Duke's women's basketball coach Kara Lawson said the teams played with a men's basketball for the first half of a loss to Florida State on Sunday.

The 16th-ranked Blue Devils lost to the Seminoles 70-57 in Tallahassee, Florida -- the team's second ACC loss of the season.

After her team beat Pittsburgh 53-44 on Thursday, Lawson ended her news conference by speaking animatedly about Sunday's game.

"This would never happen in a men's game. This would never happen," she said. "It's embarrassing for our sport."

The circumference of a women's ball is about an inch smaller than a men's ball, and it is typically 2 ounces lighter. While it might not seem like a lot, that's a big difference.

Lawson said that throughout the first half, Duke players were "complaining about the ball" while going 7-for-34 from the field in the opening 20 minutes. They were 12-for-38 in the second half. Florida State made 10 of its 30 shots in the first two quarters and 14 of 31 in the second half.

"To have a game that, at the end of the season, could be the difference between a seed, between a title, my players don't deserve that and neither do their players," Lawson said. "It's a complete failure. And you can figure out who the people I'm talking about that failed the sport and our players and both teams."

Lawson said assistant coach Winston Gandy went to the scorer's table at the half to check on the ball when he realized what the problem was. She said the game officials changed the ball to start the second half.

"We have concluded through our investigation that it was a men's ball," Lawson said. "The conference and Florida State is saying that it wasn't."

The ACC said it did a comprehensive review, talking with game officials, administrators, the table crew and both schools.

"Following the thorough and objective review process, there was no evidence found to support the claim," the conference said in a statement. "Per NCAA playing rules, there is no appeal or protest process."

The ACC has instituted a procedural change that the game ball will be brought to the pregame meeting with the captains for approval.

"It's very frustrating that [the game] ... was not treated with the utmost respect that players on both teams deserve," Lawson said.

This wouldn't be the first time this has happened in women's basketball. In 2017, the College of Charleston played home games and practiced with men's balls for most of its season until the error was discovered.

"Let me be clear: Florida State beat us. They beat us playing with a men's ball in the first half and a women's ball in the second half," Lawson said. "But I can't say if we'd have played with a women's ball in the first half and the second half that we would have won. But they can't say that either."

Who is to believe? At least the ball is the same for both teams and it wasn't that a hoop was higher or lower. Hard to believe that a Men's game ball would make its way into the team's warm-ups or be chosen as game ball.

Who is to believe? At least the ball is the same for both teams and it wasn't that a hoop was higher or lower. Hard to believe that a Men's game ball would make its way into the team's warm-ups or be chosen as game ball.
The converse happened in an Illinois men’s game, with the women’s bb used for part of the first half.

If it was a men's ball, you would think both teams would equally complain. It would be pretty obvious to everyone involved.

The converse happened in an Illinois men’s game, with the women’s bb used for part of the first half.

Hmmm, the Duke coach said specifically this would never happen in a Men's game and that it was a sign of disrespect for women's basketball.

She basically felt that this "possible" mistake was analogous to the Women's Suffrage movement.

Before the game, the lead referee selects a ball off the rack, bounces it and sometimes checks the air pressure and then hands it to the scorer until the opening tip. If there was a problem ask the referee.

The part I can't figure out is how come only one of the two teams was playing with a men's ball. Shocking that they found a way so that Duke was shooting the wrong ball, but Florida State had the advantage of shooting the right ball.

The part I can't figure out is how come only one of the two teams was playing with a men's ball. Shocking that they found a way so that Duke was shooting the wrong ball, but Florida State had the advantage of shooting the right ball.
She did specifically say that it was the same for both teams.

She apparently was wrong. Word now is that it was the right ball. What an embarrassing rant. I

So I was talking to a friend of mine about this who has had a lot of success coaching in the Minnesota HS coaching ranks, both Boys & Girls. I asked if he thought after like 2 possessions, "Wouldn't your point guard notice a difference?"

He agreed and said it did happen in an AAU event for girls he was coaching. After the first time out, his point guard did call it out that it was the wrong sphere. The mix up was because there was a boys game on the same court prior.

Of course, his PG wound up playing D1 hoops at a high level, so it makes complete sense she was on the ball.

YAAAWWWWN. A nothing burger here. If all players, coaches and refs involved, didn't know it was the wrong basketball, then I don't know what to say. Good God, who was asleep at the wheel the whole time?! The second anyone got their hands on the ball, they should have realized it didn't "feel right" Especially if you have been playing your whole life with a women's ball.

Last edited:

Top Bottom