ESPN: Could the SEC stage its own college football playoff? It's all on the table at spring meetings

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Pete Thamel:

With all respect to the rapt attention that will be paid to the verbal donnybrook between Alabama's Nick Saban and Texas A&M's Jimbo Fisher, there are more pressing matters that will unfold when SEC officials meet in Destin, Fla., for their annual meetings next week.

With the SEC poised to expand to 16 teams when Oklahoma and Texas join the league in 2025, the way the league plots its future may also reverberate deeply through the future of college football and the entire collegiate landscape.

Sounds dramatic, right? Well, the SEC has delivered plenty of drama in the last calendar year -- on and off the field. And the way the SEC constructs its future will be felt by all leagues, as any SEC scheduling decision must take into consideration what the College Football Playoff will look like. And that's where things get interesting, as no one knows what that will look like after 2025.

One variable that shouldn't be underestimated is that SEC commissioner Greg Sankey is still mad about the way the College Football Playoff expansion talks collapsed earlier this year. He's been openly vocal about his displeasure, and that's going to guide league decision making. There's been a general erosion of trust on the collegiate commissioner landscape since the chaotic COVID-19-addled summer of 2020.

"Whatever collegiality existed among those five commissioners appears to be gone," said a veteran collegiate official. "Sankey's in such a catbird seat right now."

The notion of the playoff expanding to 12 teams during the current contract was officially dashed in February, meaning a four-team playoff through the 2025 season. From there, uncertainty has increased about formats.

One idea certain to be discussed by SEC officials in Destin is the notion of the SEC creating, running and profiting from its own intra-SEC postseason. The most obvious model is an eight-team one, but there are others that will be discussed.

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey stressed that no seismic change is imminent. But he did mention that an SEC-only playoff, in a variety of forms, was among the nearly 40 different models that SEC officials discussed at their fall meetings.

"As we think as a conference," he told ESPN on Monday, "it's vitally important we think about the range of possibilities."

Florida athletic director Scott Stricklin echoed that notion to ESPN: "We have an incredibly strong league, one that will be even stronger once Oklahoma and Texas join. The focus should be on how we as a league use that strength to further position the SEC as we face new realities. Commissioner Sankey has encouraged our athletic directors to think creatively, and an SEC-only playoff is a different idea that we should absolutely consider an option."

What would that look like? We'll explore more later. But could we see an eight-team tournament that eventually faces the winner of some other group -- The Alliance? The Big Ten? The rest of the leagues playing in a different postseason? Or, perhaps they all get mad at the SEC and don't play their winner. We're in a world of hypotheticals on hypotheticals.

"We need to engage in blue-sky thinking, which is you detach from reality," Sankey told ESPN. "What are the full range of possibilities?"

Go Gophers!!

Please do it. Would love it.
Those 16 do a playoff.
Even if about 10-15 other schools went with. I’d love it.

Everyone else is busy eliminating divisions and these guys are going to create three divisions.

I think at the end of the day, the simple argument that some fans and others are making is: why should it not be the best two teams in the conference, playing in the conference championship game?

Why should it be any of these teams:

I think at the end of the day, the simple argument that some fans and others are making is: why should it not be the best two teams in the conference, playing in the conference championship game?

Which will make the sport far less interesting across the board.

Why even have a conference championship if you don’t have divisions? Why should the first place team have to beat the second place team again?

Why even have a conference championship if you don’t have divisions? Why should the first place team have to beat the second place team again?
First place team might not play the second place team since we have 14 teams in the conference. Plus, with East vs West crossovers we had rematches in the championship semi-regularly.

Yeah that's what I wonder.

So let's say Michigan maintains where it is at and Ohio St is Ohio St.

So they play "the game" and then again the next weekend for when it "matters"?

Weird...

Weird...
they think it will make them more money. it won't in any meaningful sense, but that's what they think

A disagree, I think it's already become boring. I stopped caring about the B1G Championship because the winner was a foregone conclusion.
i mean, had it?

lower ranked AP team has won 6 of 11 games. The last 4 years, the best team in the East has been the best team in the conference by far and will be next year. Eliminating divisions does nothing for that. OSU has had one losing season since 1999 and won less than 10 games 3 times since 2000. The odds are always going to be skewed in that setting.

Divisions ensure equal opportunity to win the conference, which the conferences dislike as they want to protect their top tier teams who may be in the same divisions to ensure they're getting into the title game. They'd eliminate the title game if they think it made them have a better chance to get into the CFP, which is exactly what the move is to do, not to make the championship game "better"

If they get rid of divisions, it's still not always going to be the best 2 teams because teams don't play the same schedule. It's still possible the 2nd best team in most eyes finishes 3rd or 4th because they have a tougher schedule than another team that many don't think is as good but had an easier schedule.

If there were no divisions last year, the Michigan-Ohio St game at the end of the year would have meant nothing as they would be playing each other again the next week.

If they get rid of divisions, it's still not always going to be the best 2 teams because teams don't play the same schedule. It's still possible the 2nd best team in most eyes finishes 3rd or 4th because they have a tougher schedule than another team that many don't think is as good but had an easier schedule.

If there were no divisions last year, the Michigan-Ohio St game at the end of the year would have meant nothing as they would be playing each other again the next week.
not had OSU won, probably would've been Michigan St (beat Mich head to head)

Uh, guys - missing the point?

the point of the OP is that the freakin' SEC thinks that it is so important and so powerful that it can just announce to the world that "bleep you, we are going to hold our own post-season tournament, and whoever wins will be proclaimed by us (and ESPN) as the top team in College Football."

and a big reason for this is that the SEC commissioner is peeved because he didn't get his way in the negotiations over a new format for the college football playoffs.

look up "arrogant" in the dictionary and you will see the SEC logo.

Weird...
Both games could matter for the CFP, either to get a bid at all or a bye in an expanded field.
They'll be resting players etc. Or they'll have to move it to the beginning of the season.
For the game to not matter at all in terms of both the Big 10 Title and CFP, seems like both teams would have to be Undefeated (including nonconference) and no other Big 10 team with only 1 loss. Could happen, but seems rather unlikely especially if they keep it as the early game with several Conference games to be played afterwards.

I think no matter when those schools play, it would matter greatly to both the Michigan & Ohio St players, coaches & fans.

Uh, guys - missing the point?

the point of the OP is that the freakin' SEC thinks that it is so important and so powerful that it can just announce to the world that "bleep you, we are going to hold our own post-season tournament, and whoever wins will be proclaimed by us (and ESPN) as the top team in College Football."

and a big reason for this is that the SEC commissioner is peeved because he didn't get his way in the negotiations over a new format for the college football playoffs.

look up "arrogant" in the dictionary and you will see the SEC logo.
If this ends up happening and the SEC tournament becomes the dominate post-season, both in terms of ratings and with "its champion" almost always being voted as the #1 team at the end of the year by the AP ..... then I think you can call it a day.

Ship off a couple handfuls more of programs like Ohio St, Michigan, USC, Oregon, Notre Dame, Clemson, Florida State, and maybe a few more that really matter, and "major college football" just becomes the SEC.

Others already pointed out that the #1 and #2 ranked teams at the end of the regular season may not have already played each other.

The CCG itself is mainly a money grab, as you noted. It was meaningful, in a sense, even though it not rarely was already a rematch, when it was the division winners, but now the conference isn't going to leave that money on the table. IE, they wouldn't cancel the CCG if the #1/#2 had already played.

So wonder if the following makes sense:

#1 team always in the CCG
- plays #2 team unless that is a rematch
- then plays #3 team unless that is a rematch
- then plays #4 team unless that is a rematch
- at some point it won't make sense to keep going down, in which case perhaps just default back to a rematch between #1 and #2 (ideally avoid this)

If this ends up happening and the SEC tournament becomes the dominate post-season, both in terms of ratings and with "its champion" almost always being voted as the #1 team at the end of the year by the AP ..... then I think you can call it a day.

Ship off a couple handfuls more of programs like Ohio St, Michigan, USC, Oregon, Notre Dame, Clemson, Florida State, and maybe a few more that really matter, and "major college football" just becomes the SEC.
If the SEC implements this I would like to see the other Conferences go back to their old Bowl format for a NYD Triple Header. I am assuming the Sugar & Peach would tie their wagon to the SEC

Rose Bowl - Big 10 Champ vs Pac 12 Champ
Fiesta - Big 12 vs At Large or Non Power 5 contender
Orange - ACC vs At Large or Non Power 5 contender

After New Year's have a +1 game for the top 2 rated teams. Done.

If the SEC implements this I would like to see the other Conferences go back to their old Bowl format for a NYD Triple Header. I am assuming the Sugar & Peach would tie their wagon to the SEC

Yes. This would be the defacto 2nd level of major college football, which it somewhat is now (if you mentally allow yourself to separate out Ohio St level programs from rest of Big Ten). They can take Nebraska too.

Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, NW, Illinois, Purdue, IU, (not sure Mich St) + KU, K-State, Iowa St

works for me. Have little to no interest in Rutgers or Maryland.

I feel like the idea of SEC playing an SEC only playoff is a recipe for some eventual big internal conflict and the SEC somehow breaks up ...

I feel like the idea of SEC playing an SEC only playoff is a recipe for some eventual big internal conflict and the SEC somehow breaks up ...
When UT and OU come on board, you'll have something like:

Mega/Major programs:
OU, Texas, A&M, LSU, Tenn, Bama, Auburn, Georgia, Florida

"Lesser" programs:
Ark, Missouri, Kentucky, Vandy, Miss, Miss St, South Carolina

The SEC playing only the SEC is a recipe for the SEC to realize eventually that most of college football fandom cares about the SEC because they like college football and the SEC is the highest level of college football that their school is associated with.

If the SEC is a different level of football than Iowa state. Iowa state fans don’t watch Georgia vs Florida as much as they do now

The SEC playing only the SEC is a recipe for the SEC to realize eventually that most of college football fandom cares about the SEC because they like college football and the SEC is the highest level of college football that their school is associated with.

If the SEC is a different level of football than Iowa state. Iowa state fans don’t watch Georgia vs Florida as much as they do now
I feel that way already about the SEC.

Before Thanksgiving I probably watch a grand total of 1 SEC game annually, though most of my Saturdays are occupied with the Gopher home games and/or golf.

I feel that way already about the SEC.

Before Thanksgiving I probably watch a grand total of 1 SEC game annually, though most of my Saturdays are occupied with the Gopher home games and/or golf.
Same. But it's even more base level than that for me: college football is highly regional and I mainly only care about the teams in my region.

I mostly don't watch PAC, ACC, or Big XII games either.

The thing is ... if you interview people all over the country (evenly sampled over geography), you're going to find that the highest concentration (and probably not even close) of people who care deeply about (major) college football are in the general "south" of the country. Texas, Okla, and over (Tenn, NC), and downward from there.

Ohio is probably pretty good too.

Other than that, it thins out. And considerably in the West and Northeast.

I would love something like this. There is so much obsession over the idea of winning the National Championship even though the reality is in this current landscape only a fraction of teams have a realistic shot of contending for it year in and year out.

I want the U to compete and win at a high level. But I also understand that it will be very difficult for the U to ever crack that elite club at the top....and the same can be said for the majority of power 5 programs.

Same. But it's even more base level than that for me: college football is highly regional and I mainly only care about the teams in my region.

I mostly don't watch PAC, ACC, or Big XII games either.
Yes, agree about the regional part. Even non-Gopher games it's the Big 10 or a good ND match up that I watch the vast majority of the time.

I generally will check out the late night Saturday Pac 12 game and stay with it if interesting. However, if I am worn out from a full day of tailgating/Gopher game/post celebration, forget about it.

Top Bottom