ESPN: Big Ten's way-too-early power rankings (5. Minnesota Golden Gophers)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

5. Minnesota Golden Gophers: All Jerry Kill does is exceed expectations. Even without linebacker Damien Wilson, the defense will remain strong -- this secondary will be among the conference's best -- but there are question marks on offense. Mitch Leidner returns, but this team can't afford to be so one-dimensional in 2015. Not without David Cobb.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/118649/big-tens-way-too-early-power-rankings

Go Gophers!!

5 is a good place to start, but the time is now to make the jump to 3. I think Wiscy is rightfully ahead, but can't agree on Nebraska. Both teams were 5-3 in conference, but the U beat them in their place. Not to mention their new coach.

5 is a good place to start, but the time is now to make the jump to 3. I think Wiscy is rightfully ahead, but can't agree on Nebraska. Both teams were 5-3 in conference, but the U beat them in their place. Not to mention their new coach.

Have to agree about Nebraska, that one just doesn't make much sense (and not just beating them last year but the year before as well). But hard to argue with the rest of the list. Think Wisc/MN could flip-flop for the 3/4 spot, on paper. But even if Wisconsin is down this year, we won't move ahead of them in anyone's eyes until we beat them in a meaningful game. This is that year.

I agree with this BTP. +1.

Agreed. As you pointed out, we were tied in standings with us winning the head to head despite them hosting the game, and additionally they didn't have to face OSU, they are trending downward, and we are trending upward. I think Tom Osborne and Tim Brewster are influencing these power rankings too much.

We are under the radar. Can't be one dimensional, why not. When the team to east runs the ball 40 times, its what they do. When we do it, we should not. We are actually number 4.

Can't be one dimensional, why not. When the team to east runs the ball 40 times, its what they do.
I assume they say that because Cobb is gone, we'll see if high RB yardage is a system thing or a individual player thing this year.

They should take a closer look at Coach Kill and Company. Southern Illinois, Northern Illinois. They ran the ball. They stopped the run. It is their system. They want a back to step into the idea of 25-30 carries. Develop the offensive line. The throw it 50 times is not who we are, or want to be. Pound the rock, milk the clock, flip the field, turn the other team over, and stop the run. That's us.

I think 5 is a good spot for us right now. Our offense wasn't exactly great last year and we lose Maxx, Cobb and Donovahn. We certainly have options to replace their production but it isn't proven yet. I think it is going to be a banner year for the Gopher defense. If Coughlin was eligible this year I'd say we set the team single season record for sacks. I think it's a three team race in the West and are fairly interchangeable at 3-5.

I think 5 is a good spot for us right now. Our offense wasn't exactly great last year and we lose Maxx, Cobb and Donovahn. We certainly have options to replace their production but it isn't proven yet. I think it is going to be a banner year for the Gopher defense. If Coughlin was eligible this year I'd say we set the team single season record for sacks. I think it's a three team race in the West and are fairly interchangeable at 3-5.

No less production than what Nebraska loses with Abdullah, Bell and Gregory.

No less production than what Nebraska loses with Abdullah, Bell and Gregory.

Touché. But it's probably easier to assume that Nebraska can reload easier than we can. Not saying the assumption is right but easier due to history and recruiting rankings.

Gophers and Nebraska both have some big holes to fill. While Cobb was an excellent back and one of my favorite gophers, I think that Jones and our depth at the position can match the production. Coach Kill has shown that his teams can run the ball. We will be fine. I do agree that we need to be a little less one dimensional though.

I agree, but I'd modify it to say that we'll finish ahead of either Wisconsin OR Nebraska. There's no way both those schools go through a coaching change and lose a bunch of players without taking a step back. The question is whether we can reload at RB and on D better than they can.

If there was ever a year for us to win the BT-W, this is it. We get both UW & NU at home. Iowa is gonna be a big ball of suck, so playing them on the road shouldn't be insurmountable. The night game environment could cut both ways. It'll be high energy, but most of their fans will be blotto on grain before the opening kickoff. Yeah, we have a harder crossover sked than the other teams (although NU has to play MSU), but that won't matter if we win the head to head games with our rivals and don't crap the bed in a gimme. Like we did vs. Illinois last year.

I agree, but I'd modify it to say that we'll finish ahead of either Wisconsin OR Nebraska. There's no way both those schools go through a coaching change and lose a bunch of players without taking a step back. The question is whether we can reload at RB and on D better than they can.

If there was ever a year for us to win the BT-W, this is it. We get both UW & NU at home. Iowa is gonna be a big ball of suck, so playing them on the road shouldn't be insurmountable. The night game environment could cut both ways. It'll be high energy, but most of their fans will be blotto on grain before the opening kickoff. Yeah, we have a harder crossover sked than the other teams (although NU has to play MSU), but that won't matter if we win the head to head games with our rivals and don't crap the bed in a gimme. Like we did vs. Illinois last year.

Even with the Illinois bed crapping, we would have won the division had we beaten the rivals. Our game against Wisconsin was the division championship. What I think really illustrates the importance of winning the games against the other contenders is this: even if we had won against OSU and Illinois to go into Madison 7-0, we would have still needed a win against Wisconsin to go to Indy (which is exactly the circumstance we were in despite losing those two games). Beating Wisconsin is crucial.

Top Bottom