ESPN: Big Ten reassess division names

*reassessed, and are staying for now

I'm glad they took their time with this. I think the two names are great now.

This seems like total BS. Everyone I know thinks the names are stupid. And they are. I remember one crack about us in the national media...............Minnesota, legendary for losing.
Can't believe they came up with them in the first place. Who cares if the geographic names are not totally accurate. The Big Ten has twelve teams!

The division names are pretentious and an over thought creation of some marketing agency.

They never grew on me. I still dislike them and frankly, I rarely remember which one the Gophers are in because they are arbitrary marketing buzzwords which makes me not care enough to remember.

The division names are pretentious and an over thought creation of some marketing agency.

Heck, the division alignments are pretentious and an over thought creation of some marketing agency.

I think East and West is still the best: alignment and name both the same. However, the Big Ten has determined that I am simply confused.

*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# marketeer said:
"When the names came out, people were confused," said Brian Powell, owner of The Brand Explorers, a Houston-based firm that conducted the study. "People scratched their heads and said, 'I don't know what they mean."

:p:confused::p

These names are idiotic to the extreme. The division names are lame, pretentious, vague names and they should be tossed on the ash heap.

Do West and East if you want short names - or North and South. If you want to be more descriptive and accurate, you could go North-West and South-East. Wisconsin is the only school out of place geographically if you call it that. Delaney said they couldn't do geographical because it doesn't fit. As beavergopher alluded to, someone should have replied to Delaney "Do you realize that you run a conference called the Big 10 that has 12 teams?"

Heck, the division alignments are pretentious and an over thought creation of some marketing agency.

I think East and West is still the best: alignment and name both the same. However, the Big Ten has determined that I am simply confused.

:p:confused::p

+1 to this. I'd have much preferred East/West because the conference is so spread out that way. That said, I can see their argument for competitive balance and I don't mind the teams in the divisional alignment - I think it's fair and I like who we're with - but I'd have rather had this alignment:
North
MN, WI, Mich, MichSt, PennSt, NW

South
Neb, IA, Ill, In, Purdue, OSU

That satisfies having 2 of 4 helmet schools in each half. It splits up the next tier (IA & WI). That seemed to be their main criteria. And then we could have decent names for the divisions at least. Stupid Delaney!

They don't really bother me.

They never grew on me. I still dislike them and frankly, I rarely remember which one the Gophers are in because they are arbitrary marketing buzzwords which makes me not care enough to remember.

Sadly, the best way I have to remember which division the Gophers are in is the "Minnesota - legendary for losing" slam that someone else already mentioned above. Arrrrrrg!

I am a big-time Gopher fan (as I am guessing you are with your 5100 posts) and for the life of me I couldn't name all the teams in their division.

I think North/South or East/West would make the most sense, but what do I know?

Did anybody actually read the article?

"The results are in, and ESPN.com got the first chance to see them.

Bottom line: Legends and Leaders will remain through the 2012 football season.

Here's the part that will surprise some folks: Many Big Ten fans seem to want it that way."

After a year I actually don't mind them, don't really know which one we are in. I do know all of our teams and while we have tougher competition in our division for now, I am happy with the set up.

For what it is worth, my parents named me Dean. I guess I can't complain about Legends and Leaders.

Dean S said:
For what it is worth, my parents named me Dean. I guess I can't complain about Legends and Leaders.
Yeah, you have a point there Dean.

Those are horrible division names and whomever thought those up should be terminated.

I don't care. All I care about is a competitive football team.

Can we at least get rid of the moronic "B1G" label?

At this point I wouldn't change them even though I have never liked them. They have been around for a year so you may as well stick with them. Changing them would just make it more confusing and in the end it is a pretty trivial detail.

I don't like the division names. I think they need to be changed just due to the outright ridiculousness of them. I think it was Jesse Palmer on ESPN that was wanting the "lakes" division and the "plains" division. I always thought that would be really cool to see. Unfortunately the longer the Legends and Leaders stay, the more unlikely it is going to be changed.

Not a big deal to me either way. I don't really reference the two divisions very often anyways.

But if they were to be changed, my favorite is still "Where's Wisconsin?" and "What the hell is Wisconsin doing here?"

GophersInIowa said:
Not a big deal to me either way. I don't really reference the two divisions very often anyways.

But if they were to be changed, my favorite is still "Where's Wisconsin?" and "What the hell is Wisconsin doing here?"

I hadn't heard that one. It's great.

Delany was a dumb-azz for thinking he could create divisions based on competitive equity and then, to add insult to injury, he conjures up legends and leaders. With OSU on probation, Butt Bielema likely to run WI into the ground, and PSU a 5-alarm dumpster fire along with football juggernauts Purdue, Ill. and Ind., this division is a train wreck. It would have been more fitting if Delany had named the divisions dumb and dumber for his dumb-azz idea. Do the right thing: swap WI and Ill for Mich & Mich St and make it East and West.

At this point I wouldn't change them even though I have never liked them. They have been around for a year so you may as well stick with them. Changing them would just make it more confusing and in the end it is a pretty trivial detail.

More confusing than, say, East and West?!? I don't think so.

I don't care. All I care about is a competitive football team.

Very noble. You've got your priorities straight. Just win baby. I'm sure it is just by accident you missed the meat'n'taters threads and somehow showed up in the one dedicated to B1G division names.

Nice! How about 3 divisions where one has only WI and they play with themselves twice.

Top Bottom