ESPN Big Ten power rankings: Week 4 (Minnesota #11)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
"11. Minnesota (1-2): MarQueis Gray had a historic day at quarterback as Minnesota gave Jerry Kill his first win as its coach. The Gophers also got a boost on special teams with a punt block returned for a touchdown. Pass defense remains a significant concern as Minnesota is surrendering more than 300 yards per game through the air."

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/33466/big-ten-power-rankings-week-4-3

Go Gophers!!

Personally, I'd have them at 10 above Purdue & Indiana, but who really cares?

Looking ahead, I know it's totally jumping the gun, but could Wisconsin & Illinois be undefeated on 11/19 when they meet? The Illini "should" be 6-0 (Persa's health could throw a wrench in the 10/1 IL-NW game) when Ohio State comes to Champaign on 10/15. After that, they're @ Pur, @ PSU, bye, then Michigan at home. Tough, but doable. They may totally take advantage of their schedule that doesn't have Nebraska, Iowa or Michigan State on it.

Illinois was a game most here pegged as a W for the Gophers this year, and with three straight victories over the Illini I can understand why. But I thought Illinois was in for a surprising season this year, with a favorable schedule, some talented young players, and a pretty good QB. Then again, Zook is still the coach so they'll probably collapse down the stretch. The schedule is set up nicely for Illinois to make some noise this year.

Illinois was a game most here pegged as a W for the Gophers this year, and with three straight victories over the Illini I can understand why.

The Gophers have not won three straight over Illinois. In fact, the road team has won each of the last four games in the series.

Based on what?

I agree though, who cares. It's like debating who is better, the Twins or the Orioles.

To me, a win over Miami means a bit more than a win over Middle Tennessee State and a poor FCS team, coupled in with a close loss to USC.

Of course, the loss to New Mexico State puts a wrench into my argument.

10th...11th...12th....opinions probably vary between the 3 schools at hand. I'll admit I'm seeing it through Minnesota glasses.

10th...11th...12th....opinions probably vary between the 3 schools at hand.

And don't really matter anyhow. 10th just means the Gophers are marginally less bad than Purdue and Indiana. The gap between these 3 and the rest of the conference still looks pretty clear right now.

The Gophers lost to New Mexico State. This is the fallout you suffer after losing to a team like that.

Top Bottom