ESPN Big Ten Mailbag - Hogeye fan spouting off

BigTenaciousD

Reaction score
I loved this - especially Rittenberg's response:

"Mike from Ossian, Iowa, writes: All right, Rittenberg, you coward. So what's the scoop? The week that I send you a question about how you can justify ranking Minnesota ahead of Iowa even though Iowa has the head-to-head victory over the Gophers and four losses to teams with a combined three losses, you don't have a mailbag? Huh? No answer? I think I know why. It's because you know I'm right. You know that you can't defend your ranking. You know that Iowa should be first, but you were just looking at records. Shame on you, Rittenberg. Shame on you. Boom. Lawyered.

Adam Rittenberg: Boom, lawyered? What does that even mean? The mailbag has been there every week, pal. The power rankings always have been how a team is playing right now, not how a team was playing in late September. I've made that clear since the power rankings started on this blog. Iowa has dropped three of its last five games; Minnesota is on a four-game win streak with a victory against Nebraska. You can't use head-to-head results as the sole mechanism for determining power rankings. If Iowa wins its final two games, then there will be a debate about which team should be ranked higher. But Minnesota is the hotter team right now.
"

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/89245/big-ten-friday-mailblog-163

Of course, in the comments, another Iowa fan complemented Mike for his impeccable logic.

I replied that Iowans must not be known for reading comprehension. I also mentioned that the Gophers were #4 in both Glen Mason's and Howard Griffiths Power Rankings on BTN.

Went back to my alma mater last weekend and had to buy drinks for one of my Hawkeyes loving buddies all weekend. Hurt, hurt bad particularly when he pulled up to tailgate with his Hawkeyes adorned rig for the tailgate and pulled out his Hawkeye folding chairs. I had to admit then and we all need to admit now they made us their bitch this year. If Ferentz was inclined he could have beaten us by 35. Just a bad effort that week but we have turned it around.

Went back to my alma mater last weekend and had to buy drinks for one of my Hawkeyes loving buddies all weekend. Hurt, hurt bad particularly when he pulled up to tailgate with his Hawkeyes adorned rig for the tailgate and pulled out his Hawkeye folding chairs. I had to admit then and we all need to admit now they made us their bitch this year. If Ferentz was inclined he could have beaten us by 35. Just a bad effort that week but we have turned it around.

It was 20-7 going into the Fourth. Iowa got a single FG in that last Quarter. The Gopher Offense was putrid but 35? Gees, and you wonder why people think you might just be trolling...

I just think I'm more honest than some who tend to be apologists or have their head in the sand. Ferentz really let off the gas. My guess it's because he likes Kill 'cause we had nothing that day.

I just think I'm more honest than some who tend to be apologists or have their head in the sand. Ferentz really let off the gas. My guess it's because he likes Kill 'cause we had nothing that day.

Maybe but that's not the point of the question. If you think that Iowa wasn't trying to score during that game you're in a very small minority. Maybe just you in fact, or people that didn't watch the game or can't read a box score.

"Yeah, I overreached, but Iowa was clearly the better team" would have been closer to the truth, but can see how you can't admit to it. You've been "hit pretty good" here. Doesn't do you any good though.

My guess, since I'm more honest than a lot of GHers who ignore your pathetic posts, is that you really don't contribute anything useful to this forum.

The part that they conveniently leave out is that the only team that they have beaten with a winning record is us. You take away our record and iowa's wins have come against teams with a combined 12-36 record. That is a whopping 33% winning percentage. Now that is record to be proud of. He'll Missouri State has 5 of those wins.

Not to be too nitpicky here, but if those Iowa opponents are 12-36 (and I'll trust you, as I haven't checked), then they've won 12 of the 48 games they've played, which is a 25% winning percentage.

I guess that supports your point even more.

Not to be too nitpicky here, but if those Iowa opponents are 12-36 (and I'll trust you, as I haven't checked), then they've won 12 of the 48 games they've played, which is a 25% winning percentage.

I guess that supports your point even more.

Sorry you are right. I was thinking 12 was 1/3 of 36 rather than adding and dividing.

Nevermind the one overthrow to Engel which would've pulled Minnesota to within six in the fourth quarter. How did that drive start? Why a Brock Vereen interception on a fourth quarter pass. Yep, foot off the gas alright.

It's not like Ferentz had lost two games in a row at TCF including losing a 21-10 fourth quarter lead to Jerry Kill and the Gophers in 2011. Yep, foot off the gas alright.

Nevermind the one overthrow to Engel which would've pulled Minnesota to within six in the fourth quarter. How did that drive start? Why a Brock Vereen interception on a fourth quarter pass. Yep, foot off the gas alright.

It's not like Ferentz had lost two games in a row at TCF including losing a 21-10 fourth quarter lead to Jerry Kill and the Gophers in 2011. Yep, foot off the gas alright.

Maximus to the rescue with facts.

Top Bottom