ESPN / ABC announces partial TV lineup for 2009

norman dale

Lord, grant me one Rose Bowl
Reaction score
http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2009/02/espn-releases-early-college-football.html

For those of that are / were hoping for a primetime spot for the opening of TCF Bank Stadium on September, 12 it still may come true but it won't capture the imigination of the nation as feature game that day is USC at Ohio State (no surprise).

I was hoping that ABC would potentially pick up the the Cal game the following week, at least as a regionally televised game in prime time but probably not now that ABC has picked up the sexy match-up of Texas and Texas Tech. You can't pass up the ability feature Colt McCoy's girlfriend about 30 times in the stands. I still we stand a good chance to have the Cal game as a 2:30 kickoff on ABC, especially if you look at the other Big 10 matchups that day.

colt-mccoy-girlfriend-rachel-glandorf.jpg

I don't want a primetime game for the opener on 9/12, though I would prefer that to an 11 a.m. kickoff. I'd love a 2:30 time slot, but it's a good slate of games around the Big Ten that day:

Iowa @ Iowa State
Notre Dame @ Michigan
Central Michigan @ Michigan State
Syracuse @ Penn State
Purdue @ Oregon
Fresno State @ Wisconsin

If I had to guess, Notre Dame/Michigan and Purdue/Oregon get the 2:30 mirror coverage on ABC and ESPN (the Oregon game would be on ABC on the west coast since the Pac-10 has a really weak schedule that weekend, other than USC). We could still end up in primetime opposing that USC game, but I'd say we're more likely to be on ESPN or BTN in the morning.

Which do you think the U would choose...

Better timeslot (i.e. 2:30 or primetime) on the BTN or 11am on ESPN? Exposure vs. gameday atmosphere (which will only build and get better the later the game). I know from my tour that the U REALLY wants a late afternoon/early evening kick to give the game a bigger feel. I think that if the chips fall well there is an off-chance of ESPN2 for a early primetime (5-6pm kick). I don't think that BTN will do an evening game that night to make sure as much focus as possible for the conference is on OSU.

Better timeslot (i.e. 2:30 or primetime) on the BTN or 11am on ESPN? Exposure vs. gameday atmosphere (which will only build and get better the later the game). I know from my tour that the U REALLY wants a late afternoon/early evening kick to give the game a bigger feel. I think that if the chips fall well there is an off-chance of ESPN2 for a early primetime (5-6pm kick). I don't think that BTN will do an evening game that night to make sure as much focus as possible for the conference is on OSU.

I disagree. I don't think the BTN is in any position to focus its attention on ABC and forget themselves. I can easily see us with a 6 pm kickoff on BTN.

I disagree. I don't think the BTN is in any position to focus its attention on ABC and forget themselves. I can easily see us with a 6 pm kickoff on BTN.

I believe by contract, the BTN cannot air a game in primetime if ABC/ESPN has one in prime time.

I believe by contract, the BTN cannot air a game in primetime if ABC/ESPN has one in prime time.

I think that is only for Big Ten games....See the schedule below for the fist week of this past season:

Sat 08/30/08 Minnesota 31, Northern Illinois 27 Minneapolis, Minn. Big Ten Network 6:00 PM

Sat 08/30/08 Cal 38, Michigan State 31 Berkeley, Calif. ABC 7:00 PM

Sat 08/30/08 Missouri 52, Illinois 42 St. Louis, Mo. ESPN 7:30 PM

I think that is only for Big Ten games....See the schedule below for the fist week of this past season:

Sat 08/30/08 Minnesota 31, Northern Illinois 27 Minneapolis, Minn. Big Ten Network 6:00 PM

Sat 08/30/08 Cal 38, Michigan State 31 Berkeley, Calif. ABC 7:00 PM

Sat 08/30/08 Missouri 52, Illinois 42 St. Louis, Mo. ESPN 7:30 PM

Good call. Night game would be great!

My assumption was based solely on the "bigness" of the game vs. For my own experience I'd prefer the night game, even if its on BTN.

I just hope the first game is anything but an 11 am game. I want all the students good and juiced for the first game and they have a hard time getting there lazy arses out of bed by noon.

I just hope the first game is anything but an 11 am game. I want all the students good and juiced for the first game and they have a hard time getting there lazy arses out of bed by noon.

You would too if you had drank a gallon of beer the previous night.

Top Bottom