ESPN: 2015 Too-Early Big Ten Power Rankings (Minnesota #4)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

4. Minnesota Golden Gophers
2014 record: 8-5
Too-Early Top 25 rank: 25
The Gophers have improved every year under Jerry Kill and will be a tough out again in 2015. A team that has struggled to score points at times, however, must replace its top two options in running back David Cobb and tight end Maxx Williams. And Minnesota opens the season with a stern test against TCU.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/114137/2015-too-early-big-ten-power-rankings

Go Gophers!!

I might swap IL and NW but otherwise looks about right for this meaningless prediction.

I might swap IL and NW but otherwise looks about right for this meaningless prediction.

Always tough to know how teams will handle replacing the parts they loose each year but agree this seems about right based on what we know about the teams right now. No question OSU will be the heavy favorite to win the conference again. After them it would seem like MSU has a little separation over that next tier with us, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Penn State, and maybe Michigan. After PSU/Mich it would seem like most of the teams are basically interchangeable. Nice to see us appear to be firmly situated in the top half of the conference heading into next year.

I put put us 2T with Michigan State. This is the year we finally catch and pass Wisky. We have a legit chance against tOSU in the B1G Championship game. No, I am not a homer. We improve at QB, RB (no disrespect to Cobb), Duke is more productive than Maxx (not because he will be better), and we had all our starting WRs for the bowl wearing red shirts. We played 3 true Freshmen on the DL. Another year in the weight room and another year in the system make them a big improvement. The LBs are better. We will miss Wilson but Lynn is the man in the middle. We improve at both Will and Sam. DBs? Better yet. Wow! Can 2 teams from the same conference go to the playoffs? Look out TCU. Go crazy Gopher fans!

I put put us 2T with Michigan State. This is the year we finally catch and pass Wisky. We have a legit chance against tOSU in the B1G Championship game. No, I am not a homer. We improve at QB, RB (no disrespect to Cobb), Duke is more productive than Maxx (not because he will be better), and we had all our starting WRs for the bowl wearing red shirts. We played 3 true Freshmen on the DL. Another year in the weight room and another year in the system make them a big improvement. The LBs are better. We will miss Wilson but Lynn is the man in the middle. We improve at both Will and Sam. DBs? Better yet. Wow! Can 2 teams from the same conference go to the playoffs? Look out TCU. Go crazy Gopher fans!

If I make a preseason prediction, I'm not going to put us tied with or in front of either of those programs until I see Kill beat them at least once. I hope your right, but in basketball and football I have been convinced that "this is the year Wisconsin's house of cards collapses" way too many times.

I don't expect Wisky to collapse. I expect we take the next step, again. Kill has never over estimated our prospects and he claims we are taking that next step. Other than that, I am always open to ridicule, but I am not a homer.

Wisky wont collapse, they are bringing back most of there very good defense, but they are losing about the only real threat they had on offense the entire year. I agree though with these rankings and 6 through 8 are a toss up at the moment, with 2 new coaches and 1 coach on the hot seat.

Wisconsin won't collapse. But if we play well enough to give ourselves a shot to win the West at TCF in the last week of the regular season, we'll be headed to Indy.

I'll admit, I expected them to put Michigan in the top 4-5, just because Michigan.

Wisky wont collapse, they are bringing back most of there very good defense, but they are losing about the only real threat they had on offense the entire year. I agree though with these rankings and 6 through 8 are a toss up at the moment, with 2 new coaches and 1 coach on the hot seat.
They have a plug and play RB system there, I don't see them taking a major step backward.

Purdue at 9 and slide everyone else down. They may have lost their last 6, but they played some of those extremely close. Also were hurt with injuries early and may have the best young LB in conference in Bentley. I could see them making a jump next year.

There's a surprising drop-off after the top 4: Ohio State, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Minnesota

I expect Iowa and Nebraska to be a little worse next year. And it will take a season or two for Michigan to turn it around.

It's fun to see all the quality games the B1G will be having early in the season. We play TCU at home, Wisconsin plays Alabama, and MSU has Oregon at home. B1G opportunities.

It's fun to see all the quality games the B1G will be having early in the season. We play TCU at home, Wisconsin plays Alabama, and MSU has Oregon at home. B1G opportunities.

I think I might actually cheer for Wisconsin in that game. Alabama is going to have a brand new offense, and I bet they struggle a bit early in the year.

Would love to see Alabama crumble to back to back big ten teams.

MSU has a good chance since Mr. Hawaii is going to the NFL.

And we will have to face the full force of the TCU offense, so that'll be fun... But we may be able to score some points on their defense.

There's a surprising drop-off after the top 4: Ohio State, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Minnesota

I expect Iowa and Nebraska to be a little worse next year. And it will take a season or two for Michigan to turn it around.

Iowa is gonna implode here I think. Nebraska might remain the same. It's hard to say. Michigan slightly improved unless they find a quarterback fast.

I think I might actually cheer for Wisconsin in that game. Alabama is going to have a brand new offense, and I bet they struggle a bit early in the year.

Would love to see Alabama crumble to back to back big ten teams.

MSU has a good chance since Mr. Hawaii is going to the NFL.

And we will have to face the full force of the TCU offense, so that'll be fun... But we may be able to score some points on their defense.

If we can win 2/3 of those games, it will be a coup IMO. I will be cheering for Wisconsin as well only so that when we beat them at home it is a higher quality win...and because F*** Alabama and the SEC

Top Bottom