ESPN’s Kirk Herbstreit would be ‘shocked’ if college football happens this fall

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Josh:

This will all be over by football season, right?

That thought certainly has crossed the minds of quarantined fans, coaches and athletic directors around the country. But concerns over the coronavirus pandemic has wiped the current sports calendar clean, and ESPN’s Kirk Herbstreit thinks the void will bleed over into the fall.

“I’ll be shocked if we have NFL football this fall, if we have college football. I’ll be so surprised if that happens,” Herbstreit told ESPN Radio on Thursday night, according to TMZ Sports.

“Just because from what I understand, people that I listen to, you’re 12 to 18 months from a (coronavirus) vaccine. I don’t know how you let these guys go into locker rooms and let stadiums be filled up and how you can play ball. I just don’t know how you can do it with the optics of it."

“Next thing you know you got a locker room full of guys that are sick," Herbstreit said. "And that’s on your watch? I wouldn’t want to have that. ... As much as I hate to say it, I think we’re scratching the surface of where this thing’s gonna go.”

Go Gophers!!

He has a very valid point. I know some good doctors that believe a second wave will be somewhere between Fall 2020 and Spring of 2021. No vaccine means we won’t be out of woods for some time. Dr Fauci said the same in a recent interview.

All of these short term dates, Easter (cmon), April 30, June 1st, etc are just the way of officials cutting the hot dog up into pieces so we don’t choke on message.
Would certainly suck to have no football in the Fall.

I will keep saying it until proven wrong: I don’t think the vaccine is going to be some magic reset button that makes life go back to normal.

We eventually need to figure out how to get back to normal life with this virus a part of that.

Someone more tech savy than me should spin up a poll asking GopherHolers if they think we will have a football season this year. It would be interesting to see the results.

I will keep saying it until proven wrong: I don’t think the vaccine is going to be some magic reset button that makes life go back to normal.

We eventually need to figure out how to get back to normal life with this virus a part of that.
For certain we will all have a new normal. Life won’t ever be quite the same. Problem is, without a vaccine or anti viral treatment, it will mutate (all viruses do) and keep rearing it’s ugly head. Highly doubt 50,000 people will pack into a stadium without some kind of medical solution.

My thought is "if you live long enough" you'll be subject to something like this.

For me as a near-geezer it's coming later than sooner.

For the young-uns...hey, make it through this and a good chance you won't experience it again.

My preference is for us all to make it to the other side and call it good for our lifetimes...

5qd6FiN.gif

Last edited:

They are already tracking 8 different strains of it. I posted an article about this from USA Today on the Off-Topic board.

It hasn't even been 3 weeks yet since we started cancelling/postponing sports. It hasn't even been 3 months since we beat Auburn. What do we think is going to change in another 5 months?

It hasn't even been 3 weeks yet since we started cancelling/postponing sports. It hasn't even been 3 months since we beat Auburn. What do we think is going to change in another 5 months?
What more than likely won't change is that we don't have a vaccine.

We may see not only this season being cancelled, but I am afraid it will affect part of next season too.

This is the equivalent of a world war shut-down, but in peace time. Like the "Spanish Flu", we've got something bigger that is threatening humanity. The Spanish Flu wrecked havoc, killing 20-50 million people world-wide and 675,000 in the U.S. After three waves, it finally ran its course for two years when finally people that survived have developed immunity.

We've got to pull together as a nation, and do everything that we can to slow the spread of the virus in the U.S. Like PJ Fleck said, we all have a part in this to do something for the good. Resist the temptation to break the social distancing rule. It is more difficult today with faster modes of transportation of people locally and internationally. This is the scary part that can potentially lead to greater loss of life than the 1918 pandemic world-wide.

"Social distancing" to flatten the curve is nothing new. It was implemented nationwide in 1918 (click on the link if you care to read more about it). History shows that when you relax restrictions too quickly, more deaths occur. This is something that our political leaders must realize when weighing their decision(s). We shall see what happens in China first if they decided to relax their restrictions.

My hunch is that we won't have a 2020 sports season anywhere including the Summer Olympics.

Last edited:

What more than likely won't change is that we don't have a vaccine.

You can control virus's without vaccines. The US got to this point because of being unprepared with testing. They are rolling out the 15 minute test this week. On top of that, I believe we'll continue to find better ways to treat it.

Testing and isolating is the best way to prevent the spread. Other countries are living normal lives with this method.

For certain we will all have a new normal. Life won’t ever be quite the same. Problem is, without a vaccine or anti viral treatment, it will mutate (all viruses do) and keep rearing it’s ugly head. Highly doubt 50,000 people will pack into a stadium without some kind of medical solution.
That’s just fine, and I agree.

Why can’t they play the games in empty stadiums? Test every player and staff member, weekly. By then, tests will be done in a matter of minutes and will be plentiful.

Pretend for a second that scientists determine that corona viruses are built in such a way that an effective vaccine is impossible.

Life must go on. Plan B is then to test the living crap out of the population, and on a continuous basis. Maybe you have to take a test to get in the door at work? Maybe every fan who wants to step foot on campus has to take a test? If they give results in a matter of minutes, then that’s not an impossible idea.

Pain in the butt sure, but better than what we have now.

You can control virus's without vaccines. The US got to this point because of being unprepared with testing. They are rolling out the 15 minute test this week. On top of that, I believe we'll continue to find better ways to treat it.

Testing and isolating is the best way to prevent the spread. Other countries are living normal lives with this method.
For sure. It can happen, but a lot has to change in the US for it to happen. That's what I'm skeptical of.

Such as? We've already done things no one thought was possible 3 weeks ago.
What specific things are being done now that no one thought was possible 3 weeks ago?

But what would need to happen is there needs to be a lot more testing available and people need to actually follow directions. As a few days ago there were still beaches open in Florida full of people. Lots of people still can't get tested even when they have symptoms. Much better coordination between local, state, and federal governments. Improvements are being made but there still needs to be a lot done.

What specific things are being done now that no one thought was possible 3 weeks ago?

But what would need to happen is there needs to be a lot more testing available and people need to actually follow directions. As a few days ago there were still beaches open in Florida full of people. Lots of people still can't get tested even when they have symptoms. Much better coordination between local, state, and federal governments. Improvements are being made but there still needs to be a lot done.

3 weeks ago no one thought we'd completely shut down sports, including the NCAA tournament. No one thought large cities and states would be using shelter in place orders. No one thought there would be a shortage of toilet paper. Our testing at that time was still very limited.

I agree with you on the testing, that's the key. However, it has quickly improved. The amount tests we process day by day and week by week has improved rapidly. With the the 15 min test becoming available this week, that will continue to improve. Even though there are some that are not obeying the orders, there are many more who are taking them seriously.

Just like we thought there was no way some of these shutdowns could happen, now we think that there's no way we'll go back to normal anytime soon. That's just human nature and our inability to see beyond what's happening today. We have learned a lot in 2.5 weeks. We are going to learn a lot more in the next 2.5 weeks. I feel strongly that it will be a lot more positive than negative.

3 weeks ago no one thought we'd completely shut down sports, including the NCAA tournament. No one thought large cities and states would be using shelter in place orders. No one thought there would be a shortage of toilet paper. Our testing at that time was still very limited.

I agree with you on the testing, that's the key. However, it has quickly improved. The amount tests we process day by day and week by week has improved rapidly. With the the 15 min test becoming available this week, that will continue to improve. Even though there are some that are not obeying the orders, there are many more who are taking them seriously.

Just like we thought there was no way some of these shutdowns could happen, now we think that there's no way we'll go back to normal anytime soon. That's just human nature and our inability to see beyond what's happening today. We have learned a lot in 2.5 weeks. We are going to learn a lot more in the next 2.5 weeks. I feel strongly that it will be a lot more positive than negative.
Abbott Labs has a desktop tester now, that can detect a positive in as little as 5mins and fully clear a sample in 13mins.

I would not be shocked to see the season start with no fans in the stands.

Players, coaches, referees and broadcast crews would all have to test negative - but it's a lot easier to test 150-200 people than to test 50,000 people or more.

And - what does a team do if a player tests positive the week of the game? quarantine the entire team?

still a lot of unknowns here.

Abbott Labs has a desktop tester now, that can detect a positive in as little as 5mins and fully clear a sample in 13mins.

Very few young people get hospitalized. There will be much fewer deaths among the old when enough covid ready ventilators and PPE's are available. Economic depression will produce far more death than what we are seeing with COVID19

Very few young people get hospitalized. There will be much fewer deaths among the old when enough covid ready ventilators and PPE's are available. Economic depression will produce far more death than what we are seeing with COVID19
The human body's ability to recover from what otherwise would kill them when given some extra help is pretty amazing.

Someone more tech savy than me should spin up a poll asking GopherHolers if they think we will have a football season this year. It would be interesting to see the results.
Done!

His point was that there will not be "a medical solution". Nor is there any need to have packed stadii in order to play college football, which after all, has been ALL about TV revenue for more than a decade now. The coaches and players can be tested every other day or whatever. Additionally, why did the U punt the ball eight weeks down the field today if they know anything about where this is going? They don't, we don't.

Solution: find 50,000 people to live at the stadium for the entire duration of the football season.

Pretend for a second that scientists determine that corona viruses are built in such a way that an effective vaccine is impossible.

Life must go on. Plan B is then to test the living crap out of the population, and on a continuous basis. Maybe you have to take a test to get in the door at work? Maybe every fan who wants to step foot on campus has to take a test? If they give results in a matter of minutes, then that’s not an impossible idea.

Pain in the butt sure, but better than what we have now.

100% agree.

However, there will be many bumps along the road to implementing something like this. There are too many libertarian-minded folks who will lose their collective shit over 'state measures to control us' even when those measures are safe and logical.

What's the version of "from my cold, dead hands" but for pandemic testing?

Top Bottom