ESPM article on Royce and Rodney

JohnnyGopher

Reaction score
New Football recruit also big time basketball player

Even though the odds still aren't that great that he will be able to play basketball, here is a look at our new football recruit, Bryant Allen, who is a highly rated PG and wants to play both sports here. Allen is an 87 and the #40 PG, Justin Cobbs is an 85 and the #61 PG.

Bryant Allen
| Point Guard Hometown: Maplewood, MO
Maplewood Richmond Heights H. S. (MO)
Position rank: Point Guard # 40
Ht: 6'0" Wt: 160
Last Updated:12/19/2008 Data provided by Scouts, Inc.

Scouts Grade

Evaluation
May, 2008: Very quick and athletic off the dribble. He pushes like a jet on the fastbreak. Plays with his head up and makes alot of good plays off his dribble. Streaky 3-point shooter but has a very good mid-range jumper. Excellent foul shooter. Defensively he guards the ball great. Quick hands - gets alot of deflections and loose balls. Strong body, plays football; looks like a Pacman Jones. St. Louis and Southern Illinois are in a dog-fight for him.

February, 2008: Allen is a combo guard with an incredible motor. He can really defend in the full court and can get to the basket and finish. He is very explosive and he can finish above the rim. Allen needs to develop his point guard skills, especially in the half-court. He also plays at one speed only right now and needs to add some pace to his game. Allen is good pull-up shooter but could get more consistent from three. He is an exceptional athlete and is also a highly recruited football player.

Notes
AAU Team: St. Louis Eagles...A standout football player, he has gridiron offers from Indiana, Kansas, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri and others...

Even though the odds still aren't that great that he will be able to play basketball, here is a look at our new football recruit, Bryant Allen, who is a highly rated PG and wants to play both sports here. Allen is an 87 and the #40 PG, Justin Cobbs is an 85 and the #61 PG.

Bryant Allen
| Point Guard Hometown: Maplewood, MO
Maplewood Richmond Heights H. S. (MO)
Position rank: Point Guard # 40
Ht: 6'0" Wt: 160
Last Updated:12/19/2008 Data provided by Scouts, Inc.

Scouts Grade

Evaluation
May, 2008: Very quick and athletic off the dribble. He pushes like a jet on the fastbreak. Plays with his head up and makes alot of good plays off his dribble. Streaky 3-point shooter but has a very good mid-range jumper. Excellent foul shooter. Defensively he guards the ball great. Quick hands - gets alot of deflections and loose balls. Strong body, plays football; looks like a Pacman Jones. St. Louis and Southern Illinois are in a dog-fight for him.

February, 2008: Allen is a combo guard with an incredible motor. He can really defend in the full court and can get to the basket and finish. He is very explosive and he can finish above the rim. Allen needs to develop his point guard skills, especially in the half-court. He also plays at one speed only right now and needs to add some pace to his game. Allen is good pull-up shooter but could get more consistent from three. He is an exceptional athlete and is also a highly recruited football player.

Notes
AAU Team: St. Louis Eagles...A standout football player, he has gridiron offers from Indiana, Kansas, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri and others...

He wants to play both sports and that was a factor in his choice.

Tubby had a football player as a (PF) starter in Georgia in 1997.

My question is how effective can a guard be who plays both sports. Its easier for a big guy to come in, set picks, bang in the paint and grab boards than it is for a guy to come in and have to handle the ball, shoot, and run an offense. Ronald Curry was pretty mediocre at UNC and I can't think of another small guy who did it well other than Nate Robinson but he then gave up football. I mean he'd still be with the football team right now and wouldn't join the basketball team full time until the B10 season. How effective can you be if you don't join the team until the conference season.

My question is how effective can a guard be who plays both sports. Its easier for a big guy to come in, set picks, bang in the paint and grab boards than it is for a guy to come in and have to handle the ball, shoot, and run an offense. Ronald Curry was pretty mediocre at UNC and I can't think of another small guy who did it well other than Nate Robinson but he then gave up football. I mean he'd still be with the football team right now and wouldn't join the basketball team full time until the B10 season. How effective can you be if you don't join the team until the conference season.

Charlie Ward at Fla St.

Football to BBall

Donovan Mcnabb helped contribute to a few W's on the hardwood during his time playing for the Orange... I think Paulus (SP) from Duke was highly recruited as a QB coming out of high school....

I'd like to know how it can equate to basketball but I read this kid runs a 4.3 40.

Those are some serious wheels.

Hopefully that speed can be utilized on a basketball court.

Good examples but Ward was probably the best athlete of his era period, and McNabb was also a top notch, once a decade talent and still wasn't much of a contributer in hoops. So I guess that Allen will only succeed if he's the best athlete in the nation

Donovan Mcnabb helped contribute to a few W's on the hardwood during his time playing for the Orange... I think Paulus (SP) from Duke was highly recruited as a QB coming out of high school....

McNabb was HS teammate of Antoine Walker (who starred at Kentucky, then played in NBA).

Let the kid play and we'll see how well he fares at two DI sports. I for one will love to see that effort. Also, what's up with the heading of this thread.

Top Bottom