Eric Murray

Traded DeAndre Hopkins to free up some $$$ for him

Always great to see a former Gopher get paid. Really enjoyed watching him during his time at the U and he has had a nice run in the NFL.

I'm stunned at this contract but good for him. Sets him up for life.

EM31 is one of my top 5 favorite Gophers ever. He was so fun to watch. Congrats Eric!
A fun story too. He had just lower level offers and most were recruiting him to play offense. He came for a Gophers summer camp, they were running drills and didn't have enough DBs so they had him switch over to defense. He performed very well and got an offer before camp ended.

Awesome, awesome, awesome. Let's go Murray! Nice that we got to pull a good one out of Wisconsin.

tenor.gif

I'm stunned at this contract but good for him. Sets him up for life.
I always wonder why athletes (MLB and NBA) do not request their pay in their contracts over more years? Instead of getting $7,000,000/year for 3 years. Why not take a $1,000,000 bonus now, and then $2,000,000/year for 10 years? The time value of money, can be calculated into their future pay. I know the NFL has limited their exposure to the guaranteed portion of the contract, but for other sports, I would rather have less money paid to me, over a longer number of years. It would greatly reduce the number of broke athletes that we now see, after their contracts expire.

I always wonder why athletes (MLB and NBA) do not request their pay in their contracts over more years? Instead of getting $7,000,000/year for 3 years. Why not take a $1,000,000 bonus now, and then $2,000,000/year for 10 years? The time value of money, can be calculated into their future pay. I know the NFL has limited their exposure to the guaranteed portion of the contract, but for other sports, I would rather have less money paid to me, over a longer number of years. It would greatly reduce the number of broke athletes that we now see, after their contracts expire.
Bobby Bonilla likes your idea: Bobby Bonilla contract

It doesn't really make financial sense to do it that way. It's always best to get as much money as possible as early as possible. Spreading your money out doesn't really save you from yourself and it also would prevent Murray from another payday.

First of all, big fan of Eric Murray! I can't help but believe with what is going on with a terrible Houston Texans organization that EM was just severely over paid. Im not sure how much he was making, but 7 million a year for 3 years seems outrageous. I think this says more about the Texans than it does Murray. Happy for him though!

It doesn't really make financial sense to do it that way. It's always best to get as much money as possible as early as possible. Spreading your money out doesn't really save you from yourself and it also would prevent Murray from another payday.

Not sure how it would prevent athletes from another payday. There are cases of athletes getting paid from 2 different teams. NBA's Zach Randolph signed a 6 year $84 million dollar contract with Portland at age 23 in 2004. He had $25 million deferred (about 30%) to be paid between 2012 and 2017. In 2011 he signed a 4 year 66 million dollar contract with Memphis, and then deferred 9.9 million of that contract. I think Tom Brady also had deferred pay and that is not stopping him from another payday.

until you have the situation of having to chooose between $7mil/yr x 3yrs vs only taking $2mil/yr x 10yrs, you don't really know what drives the decision.

my guess is it is driven by several factors
1. agents want to get their cut immediately
2. players want their money so they can live the pro-athlete lifestyle
3. teams want to limit their future cash liabilities
4. league salary cap rules. I think NHL put in rules specifically targeting teams offering deferred payments to avoid cap issues in the short-term

until you have the situation of having to chooose between $7mil/yr x 3yrs vs only taking $2mil/yr x 10yrs, you don't really know what drives the decision.

my guess is it is driven by several factors
1. agents want to get their cut immediately
2. players want their money so they can live the pro-athlete lifestyle
3. teams want to limit their future cash liabilities
4. league salary cap rules. I think NHL put in rules specifically targeting teams offering deferred payments to avoid cap issues in the short-term

It's just not wise financially. It's why you get things for cheaper if you can give someone all of the money NOW compared to spread over time.

Having the cash in hand has a tremendous amount of value.

Not sure how it would prevent athletes from another payday. There are cases of athletes getting paid from 2 different teams. NBA's Zach Randolph signed a 6 year $84 million dollar contract with Portland at age 23 in 2004. He had $25 million deferred (about 30%) to be paid between 2012 and 2017. In 2011 he signed a 4 year 66 million dollar contract with Memphis, and then deferred 9.9 million of that contract. I think Tom Brady also had deferred pay and that is not stopping him from another payday.

Yeah, you can get bought out and get deferred payments, but that's certainly not as common as getting paid and then moving on to your next contract. It's usually done at a premium (taking less today over some amount spread over time).

There is no advantage over having someone hold your money for you for 10 years unless you're getting a significant amount of interest (not just inflation).

You take the money ASAP so you can make money with your money. I realize not all athletes are smart enough to do this but from a financial standpoint it is a no brainer.

You take the money ASAP so you can make money with your money. I realize not all athletes are smart enough to do this but from a financial standpoint it is a no brainer.

this is why you hire an agent and financial planner

I am all for athletes and owners making money. But, the pay the athletes get today and the profit to owners get are so outrageous.

The paying fans are just going to pay a little more. That in addition to advertisement revenues so that we can pay QBs $30 mil+ a year.

There is so much disparity. Bottom line, we don't have to go attend a live game. It may be more affordable to watch it on cable TV. A cable TV or other streaming/online services are cheaper in the long run albeit not as fun as going to a live game.

The real boss of the house doesn't want to give up cable. So, I am happy as long as I can get ESPN and BTN.

Top Bottom