Eric Kaler lone finalist for President

The U is going to get a bunch of sh!t for circumventing the public process and only recommending one candidate. Personally I don't give a sh** if the underlined part of this quote is true. Star trib article

“This person is an outstanding final candidate,” said Regent John Frobenius, who listed his many strengths, including support of athletics, strong research experience and leadership style."

I just did some looking up on Stony Brook. They are in Long Island, but play in the Big South Conference? Last I checked, Long Island wasn't in the south...

W T F
Seriously? One candidate announced? How stupid IS our administration.

Things will not end well if this guy doesn't come in with some sort of athletics background and is just some east coast egghead. Even just being a football fan would suffice, even just playing football or basketball in HS would suffice. This could end badly for the U.

W T F
Seriously? One candidate announced? How stupid IS our administration.

Things will not end well if this guy doesn't come in with some sort of athletics background and is just some east coast egghead. Even just being a football fan would suffice, even just playing football or basketball in HS would suffice. This could end badly for the U.

Panic much?

Please do some research on the guy and his background, as well as whatever research there is available on the search. Don't be an ignorant boob.

I think some folks need to take a deep breath and accept that the U of M's first and foremost purpose is education.

I think some folks need to take a deep breath and accept that the U of M's first and foremost purpose is education.

Our next President must come from Gainesville, Austin or Tuscaloosa or the hire is an epic fail!!!!

It's interesting that he doesn't seem to have had a lot of administrative experience.

I live right next to Caltech here in Pasadena (and my wife attended graduate school there). Let me tell you, their undergraduates are very special. I mean that in every sense of the word (socially, academically, etc.).

I hope this works out well. Sounds like a solid guy, from the perspective of the U as a whole. I hope he is good for the football program as well, if he ends up being the guy for sure.

For what it's worth, Stony brook was football co-champions of the Big South in 2009, and won the Big South regular season basketball title. While that doesn't say anything directly about his support of sports, it does imply that Stony Brook at least has to be somewhat supportive of sports.

Here's the Star Tribune article: http://www.startribune.com/local/10...yP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUac8HEaDiaMDCinchO7DU

From the link: “This person is an outstanding final candidate,” said Regent John Frobenius, who listed his many strengths, including support of athletics, strong research experience and leadership style.

Now, we might want more detail on that support of athletics, but it's a good sign. His academic background looks solid, I like the science background, and if he really does have a good support of athletics, sounds good to me.

Dean Johnson...does he approve or not?

Here's the Star Tribune article: http://www.startribune.com/local/10...yP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUac8HEaDiaMDCinchO7DU

From the link: “This person is an outstanding final candidate,” said Regent John Frobenius, who listed his many strengths, including support of athletics, strong research experience and leadership style.

Now, we might want more detail on that support of athletics, but it's a good sign. His academic background looks solid, I like the science background, and if he really does have a good support of athletics, sounds good to me.

Doogie or other media connected person (MV?)...can you ask Regent Dean Johnson what this candidate said when he asked (like he said he would) about supporting a strong athletic/football program?

Thanks....if Dean is on board so am I.

GM

I like the selection, if he's a football fan, he's probabaly tired of supporting a bottom tier B10 team, especially after Delaware. Delaware is a long time FCS power.

I'm liking this hire more and more. His academics credentials look solid, we should be in good shape there - academics is the purpose of the U, after all. But Stony Brook's commitment to athletics looks solid, and you don't do that with out the provost being on board.

They built a new stadium that seats 8,300 in 2000. Here's a picture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Stadiumt.jpg

From Wikipedia: The 2009-2010 season was one of the most successful in school history, with five conference championships. The football team was Big-South Co-champion. Women’s Cross-Country, Men’s Soccer, Men’s Basketball, and Men’s Lacrosse all won America East regular-season championships, with Soccer and Lacrosse also winning post-season conference tournaments.

They moved up to D-I in 1999, which shows a committment to athletics. Big South champions in football for 2009, Northeast Conference champions in 2005.

If he got his Ph.D. here in '82 that would mean he was here for the Salem years...Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

If he got his Ph.D. here in '83 that would mean he was here for the Salem years...Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

It hasn't kept him from applying for this job, so it couldn't have been too traumatic.

From today's Goal Line Club Luncheon:

New AD Assistant Mona said that everyone's "favorite guys" are probably on the list. The U will be throwing a wide net. No one is beyond consideration; no one is considered to be "unattainable". To think that anyone is a favorite or front-runner is ridiculous at this point. There are other candidates that will come up as the rest of the season winds down. Mona will be marketing the U in all aspects of its relationships.

Dean Johnson said that the Regents do not hire the coach, the U President does. But the Regents do hire the President. Regent Johnson said that one of the most important questions for a U Presidential candidate to answer is how they feel about the future of the football program. He and the other Regents feel that the importance of the football program and its ability to give the University a high profile is a key to the University's success in other endeavors. He alluded to some sort of "3-4 year plan".

Horton implied several times that he will not be the coach next season, and that he is excited for the U to take that next step with a new coach. Also said that maybe only one 2011 recruit was wavering.

It's good to hear this stuff.

Above is what was said on this board. I would LOVE to know the answer he gave to Regent Johnson. We all should be interested.

Get Harbaugh to Mpls .... now!

GM

It hasn't kept him from applying for this job, so it couldn't have been too traumatic.

haha good point, but the flip side is that he thinks Salem/Brewster era football is what University of Minnesota football is all about.

See! That's what happens when there are no former UM football players involved in the process. (Wink x a gadzilliion)

I agree with the Strib description, "The person chosen will step into an increasingly complex job that requires a host of skills. According to the job description, he or she must be "a creative fundraiser," a "skilled planner and budgeter," an "effective communicator" and a "politically astute leader." The provost is the "dean of the deans" and largely deals with academic matters. I'm not sure that that position requires a lot of fund raising, therefore he may or may not be good at that. As for the business about being identified as a job candidate, I believe that the rule of thumb is that once they come onto campus for an interview (or agree to come on campus for an interview) they are a making their intentions known and should expect that their candicacy is public at that point.

Top Bottom