Eric Jacques...

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
I have heard some people on this board say that he has been moved back to OG, but he seemed like such a natural fit at DT last season. Does anyone have real information on this?

I know Gophersports has him listed as an OG, but I don't think they ever changed it from when he was recruited and moved to DT. The Star Tribune also mentioned him as being depth on the DL. I am just confused as to where people have heard he was going to be moved back to guard.

Thanks

Jacques is listed on the 2009 roster on Gophersports as DL. May not know for sure until the spring game.

OG. May be because both Olson and Michel are playing OT and OG is needing depth (think Bunders, Wynn's continued back problem, and Davis leaving to concentrate on track). Sometimes these guys go back and forth between positions. With Jacobs being able to move inside that helps the DT depth.

I'm curious why you think somebody that we never saw play last season seemed like such a natural fit at DT. He played OG in HS and the Gophers moved him back to his natural position. I got the information from a HS coach that watched one of their practices.

He seemed like a natural fit at DT to me for a couple reasons. First off, I heard from a guy I know that is relatively plugged into the program that he was looking good last season at DT. He told me this, this past fall when we weren't having the best of luck recruiting DTs. He never tells me anything too far out there and he has always been pretty accurate.

Second of all, the Gophers have constantly talked about him being moved to DT. Brew said it on signing day and it was even listed under his name on his gophersports profiles.

Lastly, he is 6'2" 283. I know that size is capable of playing OL, but it seems like more of a natural fit for DT especially with a Tim Davis OL. I understand some people have the mental makeup for OL and some for DL, but he just seemed more like a DT.

It sounds like I was probably wrong with my assumption that he was a better fit at DT, but I was just curious.

I think it is because of our weakness at guard at having jacobs and ferguson at DT, our guards might be the weakest part of our team

I suppose with the apparent of emergence of Ferguson that guard is probably an area of less depth than DT. In reality though, our only backup DTs are a freshman (Ferguson) and a converted DE (even though I think DT is Jacobs best position). It makes sense though...

I suppose with the apparent of emergence of Ferguson that guard is probably an area of less depth than DT. In reality though, our only backup DTs are a freshman (Ferguson) and a converted DE (even though I think DT is Jacobs best position). It makes sense though...

Don't forget about Tauefa and Legania coming in this fall. Also, although I expect him to ultimately end up on OL, Epping also played DT in high school and I think we was all state on both defense and offense.

Top Bottom