Eric Decker - projected for Rd 2

gophernut

Reaction score
Here is the link:

http://www.mynfldraft.com/NFL-Mock-Draft-2010-round-2/

They have him going towards the end to the Chargers. What do you on the board think of this projection - to high or to low??? My thoughts are I think he is a second round talents, but speed and injury concerns would drop him to the third and fourth round. I hope the combine proves me wrong about his speed, but always saw him as someone with great hands, great route running and slightly above average speed - which made him a great college wide reciever. I think he will be a great 10 year wide reciever in the NFL that never sees the pro-bowl or gets to much credit - just a workhorse.

Also for those sports writers the mynfldraft is looking for someone to write a brief for Eric Decker - they will give credit to whoever submits something worth sharing. Thought it might be nice for some college student to put on a resume.
Here is the Link
http://www.mynfldraft.com/NFL-Draft-Profiles/2010/Eric-Decker

I hope he goes as high as possible. But I think you're right about third or fourth round. Either way, I think he'll have a nice career.

Unfortunately hes not going to be able to run at the combine to answer the speed question due to his injury. That can't help his stock but I'd agree he's second round talent and may drop due to the limitations from his injury.

I think Decker would fit pretty good in with the Chargers. I think his stock has dropped although due to his injury, I see him going in the 3rd or 4th round aswell.

Gophernut- I agree with your estimation of the 3rd or 4th round. I really hope he recovers fully and even though he is going to miss out on some big cash early on, I think a team is going to get a gem of a later round pick in him and he will make a big time name for himself in the pros. One day everyone will call white speed receivers in the pros "Eric Deckeresque" instead of "Wes Welkeresque" ;)

I think he'll be in the Twins outfield in 2-3 years. He's clearly a superior baseball talent.

Who's spot is he taking, Span? Young? Hicks, Revere? Cuddyer? Parmalee? I think you were just saying this to get people riled up but I'm not sure if you are actually that stupid.

Yes, I was totally kidding. One, Decker is no longer property of the Twins, and two, he is an OK to good college baseball player. He gets drafted because of his popularity from playing football. Michael Vick got drafted one year and he hadn't played baseball since 8th grade. Brooks Bollinger got drafted and Wisconsin doesn't even have a baseball team. Decker wouldn't make it out of low A ball.

I think he is a late 2nd, early 3rd talent, but injuries and the white WR stigma might hurt him. He is not the same kind of player Wes Welker is...

Unless he can run and run a 4.5 before the draft...he is a fourth round pick at best. He doesn't return punts or kicks, can only play in the slot in the NFL due to his speed.

He has upside because of his size, hands, work ethic and character...but not the pure speed/size/talent that gets you selected in the first three rounds of the NFL.

He runs a 4.5 before the draft and he goes in the second round...otherwise...4th or 5th round. I see him to the Patriots in the 5th round if he isn't gone before then.

Any draft that has Jimmy Clausen going #1 overall has serious credibility issues. Also, "my Nfl Draft" "projecting" something doesn't really carry a lot of weight. I'd be shocked if Decker went 2nd round. Way too big of a gamble that high.

I don't Decker is seen as an impact guy, or an impact sleeper. That pretty much eliminates the first 2-3 rounds. He'll go to a team looking to build depth at the reciever spot. Chicago, Jets, Giants, Seattle... If he slides to the fourth he'll be lucky because I guarantee a good team will pluck him as a bargain.

Assuming he checks out injury wise, I GUARANTEE Decker will not be on the board come round 4.

With his speed issues and with his history of injuries, I suspect round 3-4. I think whoever get's him in that range though will be in for a pleasant surprise. Am I off base in comparing him to Cris Carter? Big guy, so so speed, great hands, ability to make adjustments on the ball, very good route runner, all he does is catch touchdowns, etc.

With his speed issues and with his history of injuries, I suspect round 3-4. I think whoever get's him in that range though will be in for a pleasant surprise. Am I off base in comparing him to Cris Carter? Big guy, so so speed, great hands, ability to make adjustments on the ball, very good route runner, all he does is catch touchdowns, etc.

Umm no. Cris Carter is 10 times more athletic than Adam. Adam however would smoke Cris in a 40 yard race by at least 5 yards.

If we compare Adam to great wr's I would compare him to Jerry Rice. About the same speed and athleticism. Both of them seem to always be open without any special phyiscal ability.

Who's spot is he taking, Span? Young? Hicks, Revere? Cuddyer? Parmalee? I think you were just saying this to get people riled up but I'm not sure if you are actually that stupid.
He was joking but Young is garbage, Parmalee is a AAAA non-prospect, Hicks and Revere are still unknowns and Cuddyer will be gone by then.

I'd be shocked to see him go in round 2. Probably more like round 4. He isn't going to be 100% for quite some time and that means a 4.6+ 40. With the injury concerns he'll probably drop like a rock.

The combine has too much weight in the draft system. So many unknown WRs are going to shine there. Decker only shines on the field, and he isn't even going to participate in the combine. He definately isn't going to be drafted until Day 2.

The combine has too much weight in the draft system. So many unknown WRs are going to shine there. Decker only shines on the field, and he isn't even going to participate in the combine. He definately isn't going to be drafted until Day 2.

I am not so sure about that. I think Decker was scouted enough by NFL teams that they know what he can do. This guy could legitimately turn out to be another Wes Welker for the Patriots. He is smart, tough, runs good routes and is extremely athletic. We have had some good WR's here recently that made it into the pros and none are even close to Eric Decker.

I think he will slide a bit due to the injury, but if he slides into round 3, someone is getting a steal. I may be heavily biased because I am a Gopher fan and have seen a lot of him, but I would rather have him than Benn from Illinois, who will probably go a LOT higher. I would definitely love to see the Vikings get him but he is the real deal and I think some team will be very glad they took him.

i think that the NFL has changed it so that the second round is on the second day.

first round on day one, second and third on day two and the rest after that.

Umm no. Cris Carter is 10 times more athletic than Adam. Adam however would smoke Cris in a 40 yard race by at least 5 yards.

If we compare Adam to great wr's I would compare him to Jerry Rice. About the same speed and athleticism. Both of them seem to always be open without any special phyiscal ability.

:eek:

Wes Welker Comparisons

Where are people getting these Wes Welker comparisons from?

Wes Welker: 5'9 185
Eric Decker: 6'2 215

Wes Welker is a slot receiver who relies on speed and quickness to get open. He is a great route runner which combined with his quickness leads to a lot of YAC. He is also the product of a very good system (see Julian Edelman).

Eric Decker has almost always lined up as a split end in college and is known for good hands, strength, and leaping ability. His hands and his strength are his two biggest assets. His strength allows him to get good separation from the cornerback.

If I were to compare his playing style to any elite receiver it would be Brandon Marshall, who is well known for using his combination of strength and size to his advantage and to get yards after the catch. Decker is, however, a couple inches shorter and about 15 pounds lighter than Marshall.

His draft status falls into the wild card category in my estimation due to the injury. I think he would have been a 2nd round pick if healthy, but like Utecht (even though Decker is a better prospect than Utecht), an injury that prevents him from working out extensively before the draft puts a big-time crimp in things for Decker.

I honestly don't know how he'll be as a pro, even if he regains his health. It has become increasingly difficult to project guys coming out of college. Decker has a nice size/speed combination, but I don't know about his speed/quickness ratio. If he's not fast enough to be a deep threat or quick enough to be a solid underneath guy, he could be a new kind of "tweener."

He reminds be a bit of Packer receivers Jordy Nelson and James Jones, who were 2nd and 3rd round picks respectively. Big guys who don't mind taking a hit and can get down the field.

At any rate, I don't think there's any questioning of Decker's determination and football smarts. If he's able to go, he'll be on a roster somewhere in the fall of 2010 and likely contributing.

I'm thinking that people tend to make the bad assumption that for a WR to make it in the NFL, he needs to be like Wes Welker. Probably getting compared by skin color, and not by his athletic ability. Just a guess.

I think Decker would be a great "hands" receiver, on third and long packages. Durability is a question. So playing him every down may not be the best bet IMHO.

Wes Welker: 5'9 185
Eric Decker: 6'2 215

Wes Welker is a slot receiver who relies on speed and quickness to get open. He is a great route runner which combined with his quickness leads to a lot of YAC. He is also the product of a very good system (see Julian Edelman).

Eric Decker has almost always lined up as a split end in college and is known for good hands, strength, and leaping ability. His hands and his strength are his two biggest assets. His strength allows him to get good separation from the cornerback.

If I were to compare his playing style to any elite receiver it would be Brandon Marshall, who is well known for using his combination of strength and size to his advantage and to get yards after the catch. Decker is, however, a couple inches shorter and about 15 pounds lighter than Marshall.

I mentioned Welker in this thread, but not to compare the two, to contrast them. Welker is a much different player than Decker. Welker is like one of those run and shoot types and Decker is def not that.

If I were an NFL team, I would seriously look at Decker in the 3rd or 4th without a doubt. IMO, besides his health, which is a concern, the guy is just a player. Gets it done, and seems like the kind of guy I want. I think a 2nd might be high because of injury issues, but later than that the draft is such a crapshoot anyway. Put him on Indy and I could see him making 40 catches and catching 5-6 tds as a rookie (if he could get playing time), or with another good qb in a good offense and he would be really good, IMO. If he gets drafted by the Chiefs and has to start right away, I think he is less productive...

Adam? You could work for ESPN by the way you confuse the two. :)

His draft status falls into the wild card category in my estimation due to the injury. I think he would have been a 2nd round pick if healthy, but like Utecht (even though Decker is a better prospect than Utecht), an injury that prevents him from working out extensively before the draft puts a big-time crimp in things for Decker.

I honestly don't know how he'll be as a pro, even if he regains his health. It has become increasingly difficult to project guys coming out of college. Decker has a nice size/speed combination, but I don't know about his speed/quickness ratio. If he's not fast enough to be a deep threat or quick enough to be a solid underneath guy, he could be a new kind of "tweener."

He reminds be a bit of Packer receivers Jordy Nelson and James Jones, who were 2nd and 3rd round picks respectively. Big guys who don't mind taking a hit and can get down the field.

At any rate, I don't think there's any questioning of Decker's determination and football smarts. If he's able to go, he'll be on a roster somewhere in the fall of 2010 and likely contributing.

The way Sidney Rice has played this year, he reminds my of Decker. Rice is slightly taller 6' 4'' to 6'2". Decker is 10 pounds heavier 215 to 205. Neither one has blazing speed but they can get open and get behinds defenders for scores. They both have a knack of catching the ball in a crowd.They both catch everything thrown their way and don't drop many even when their being blasted.

Rice was a Second Round pick who didn't blossom until he had a more accurate QB. I hope Decker gets to start his career with a great QB.

ummmmmm, Adam doesn't play wide receiver.

I've thought for some time now that people underestimate Decker's speed and overestimate his hands. I've seen him drop more passes than I like, but he seems fast to me - especially his acceleration when already at a run.

If we're comparing him to receivers, what about Hassan Jones? Big, strong as an ox, deceptively fast, and a very good jumper.

Top Bottom