Epic St. John's game 50 years ago

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/235827271.html

Another good one from Reusse - but he missed that some St. John's players also went pro, including tackle John MacDowal (Packers), fullback Rich Froehle (Denver Broncos) and back Ken Roering (Winnipeg in CFL). I still consider this game, for the NAIA national championship in the Camellia Bowl, one of the two or three best college football games I've ever seen - media made much of Houston-located Prairie View being all-black, St. John's far north team all white. Prairie View was black national champion and scored two devastating touchdowns early, but St. John's won 33-27. Otis Taylor played for Prairie View.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/235827271.html

Another good one from Reusse - but he missed that some St. John's players also went pro, including tackle John MacDowal (Packers), fullback Rich Froehle (Denver Broncos) and back Ken Roering (Winnipeg in CFL). I still consider this game, for the NAIA national championship in the Camellia Bowl, one of the two or three best college football games I've ever seen - media made much of Houston-located Prairie View being all-black, St. John's far north team all white. Prairie View was black national champion and scored two what could have been devastating touchdowns early, but St. John's won 33-27. Otis Taylor played for Prairie View.

FIFY - When you win it isn't devastating. To see what a devastating play looks like watch the fourth quarter of some Mason games such as Wisconsin, MIchigan, etc.:rolleyes: But thanks for the post.

FIFY - When you win it isn't devastating. To see what a devastating play looks like watch the fourth quarter of some Mason games such as Wisconsin, MIchigan, etc.:rolleyes: But thanks for the post.

Yes, I'm scarred for life from the games you mention, like so many others here. St. John's had first possession, lost yardage each play, punted and had the punt blocked. On first play, Prairie View scored easily. It was devastating at that moment. A little later, they scored just as easily. The Pioneer Press photo that morning of the Prairie View offensive line looked like seven Bobby Bells lined up. Somehow, St. John's managed to win. They were a plucky team, very well disciplined and well prepared.

Yes, I'm scarred for life from the games you mention, like so many others here. St. John's had first possession, lost yardage each play, punted and had the punt blocked. On first play, Prairie View scored easily. It was devastating at that moment. A little later, they scored just as easily. The Pioneer Press photo that morning of the Prairie View offensive line looked like seven Bobby Bells lined up. Somehow, St. John's managed to win. They were a plucky team, very well disciplined and well prepared.

And, I just LOVED the 4th quarter of the 2005 Michigan game in Ann Arbor and the 2000 Ohio State game in Columbus. I guess you had to BE THERE, the way I was to appreciate those games though. Right killjoy? Of course, killjoy, I doubt if you ever were there for any of those GREAT Big Ten wins...IF you want to be that way killjoy...you have gotten exactly what you are asking for when you hijacked this thread from a St. John's historical win. You just can't have it both ways killjoy. Once again you bring out your obsession of Coach Mason bashing. It will be a GREAT day IF and WHEN any Golden Gopher Football Coach EVER beats the Ohio State University and Michigan again AND wisky again the way that Coach Mason beat them...at least ONCE in a while. It's better to be close than to not be near some of the better teams in the Conference.

At any rate, Reusse did a very nice job writing up that great St. John's win. Do you realize that the MIAC produced some of the very BEST teams in Small College Football for three years running in that early 1960's era. It was remarkable.

***WINK***WINK ; 0 )

Top Bottom