Entering last 3 controlling own destiny

In college football, even coaches don't know what team will show from week to week. It's got some elements of a crapshoot to it. It's been that way for decades. The bottom line is the Gophers are 6-3 and in a four way tie for first at 4-2. I'll take that easily. They've beaten one of the other first place teams already. They control their destiny and are playing meaningful games in November. No way they come out in Iowa City like they did yesterday. Buckle up, this should be fun.
Funny thing is if we didn’t know who the losses were against most would have taken this scenario preseason I bet.

Last edited:

In college football, even coaches don't know what team will show from week to week. It's got some elements of a crapshoot to it. It's been that way for decades. The bottom line is the Gophers are 6-3 and in a four way tie for first at 4-2. I'll take that easily. They've beaten one of the other first place teams already. They control their destiny and are playing meaningful games in November. No way they come out in Iowa City like they did yesterday. Buckle up, this should be fun.
That's especially true this year. Seems to be no elite teams outside of Georgia.

They are closer to average than great though

they are not unbeatable

They’re good and if they take care of the ball are a threat to win the conference because defense is that good
Agree

Wisky has to be favored to win the West. Plus they have easiest schedule with NU, NE at home and Gophers.
Yeah. Not sure the betting odds but I would guess:
1) wisconsin
2) Minnesota (because wisconsin already owns tiebreak with Iowa and Purdue)
3) iowa
4) purdue (because they’re going to lose to Ohio state this week)

Historically and this year, Iowa doesn’t blitz much. They get pressure from 4 down. It will be interesting if they change their identity for our vaunted offense.

I expect more quick passes and routes with 4 guys in the route. Iowa is going to rush 4 and play zone behind it like they have since 1998.
You expect Sanford to adapt?

So we beat Purdue on the road. They spanked Iowa at Kinnick. Yet we have people on this board discounting that Purdue win as "lucky".

So Iowa beats Northwestern by 5 and scores 3 points in the last 45 minutes of the game. We trounce the same team on the same field 41-14 JUST last week. Yet we have people acting like Iowa is so much better than us.

There are some seriously damaged psychologies on this board. Basically, let's only look at the Gophers' two bad performances and not give any credit for any of the wins. You can't make this stuff up

Personally, I think the team comes out fired up next week and we have a game plan that surprises everyone - including Iowa - and we bring home Floyd for the first time this millennium.
A competent game plan would no doubt surprise everyone, including Iowa. Where would it come from?

I also think the coaches will have a better offensive gameplan this week. They won’t assume the wideouts will just win one on one battles. I think arrogance in game planning cost the gophers the Illinois and bowling green games this year.
Arrogance in game planning is bad. Refusing to adjust when plan exposed is much worse.

Wisconsin has gotten better and is no doubt the favorite.
Minnesota is currently in a four way tie for the top of the west and only need to win 2 of 3 to win the division provided it’s the correct 2.

that’s just reality
Your prediction for the upcoming game?

A competent game plan would no doubt surprise everyone, including Iowa. Where would it come from?

So we didn't have a competent game plan in any of our 6 wins this year?? Also, I thought the game plan against Ohio State was pretty damn good and then we lost the Big Ten RBOY.

So we didn't have a competent game plan in any of our 6 wins this year?? Also, I thought the game plan against Ohio State was pretty damn good and then we lost the Big Ten RBOY.
Vanilla game plans that don't translate to games against Iowa and Wiconsin or Sconnie Light (IL). There has been little in the way of competent modern offense this year.

Vanilla game plans that don't translate to games against Iowa and Wiconsin or Sconnie Light (IL).

And you're assuming the staff is not aware of that. I've been saying for a month that they have been trying to save stuff for those big games - obviously that shot them in the foot badly yesterday - but that fact doesn't mean they can't put together a good plan against Iowa.

And you're assuming the staff is not aware of that. I've been saying for a month that they have been trying to save stuff for those big games - obviously that shot them in the foot badly yesterday - but that fact doesn't mean they can't put together a good plan against Iowa.
Yesterday is the overwhelming evidence. Mike Sanford hasn't shown that ability.

Arrogance in game planning is bad. Refusing to adjust when plan exposed is much worse.
Yeah. It was a bad plan and then literally no offensive adjustment. Not even a bad adjustment. They just did the same thing the second half. Odd

I-O-W-A is beatable for once but being at Kinnick always has some adverse affect on the Visitor's offense no matter the team playing there. Have essentially 2 days to develop/field the game plan on offense, 2-3 more days to implement it, and travel on Friday. If there's blood in the water early, not good.

Back to yesterday, whatever was the offensive game plan needs to be burned first thing this morning.

On a metaphysical plane, it is clear that Mohammed Ibrahim was this team's star-level player this year. The football gods are toying with this team just like Zeus and Hera on the chess-board of Greek myth. Following this motif, it is ironic that it was an Achilles injury that took out our own Achilles coming into this season.

Back to I-O-W-A, hope we're not intimidated by the pink Visitor's locker room...

View attachment 15172
It’s Greek to me

You expect Sanford to adapt?
I’m not sure.
Fleck/Sanford are pretty stubborn…however

In 2018 annexstad played and that was the game with the highest pass attempts of the season
In 2019 we attempted more passes against Iowa and wisconsin than anyone else (wisconsin one more than iowa)
In 2020 we attempted more passes against Iowa than anyone else

So based on that I expect more passes than usual

I’m not sure.
Fleck/Sanford are pretty stubborn…however

In 2018 annexstad played and that was the game with the highest pass attempts of the season
In 2019 we attempted more passes against Iowa and wisconsin than anyone else (wisconsin one more than iowa)
In 2020 we attempted more passes against Iowa than anyone else

So based on that I expect more passes than usual
2018 and 2019 are not Mike Sanford, we got crushed by Iowa and and threw in an an attempt to comeback/ in garbage time.

2018 and 2019 are not Mike Sanford, we got crushed by Iowa and and threw in an an attempt to comeback/ in garbage time.
in 2018 we had 25 plays of sack, pass attempt, or defensive pass interference in the first half

in 2019 22/35 snaps were called passes in the first half (excluding a spike)

You can say things, it doesn’t make them true.

You are correct though. Sanford wasn’t on the coaching staff in 18-19

OSU plan was excellent. The four BT wins were quite good but couple could have been more balanced looking ahead. Bottom line is Sanford is inadequate and not up to standard of defense. Goal is to be excellent in all aspects of the game.

in 2018 we had 25 plays of sack, pass attempt, or defensive pass interference in the first half

in 2019 22/35 snaps were called passes in the first half (excluding a spike)

You can say things, it doesn’t make them true.

You are correct though. Sanford wasn’t on the coaching staff in 18-19
So your comments are decidedly irrelevant, appreciate the confirmation.

OSU plan was excellent. The four BT wins were quite good but couple could have been more balanced looking ahead. Bottom line is Sanford is inadequate and not up to standard of defense. Goal is to be excellent in all aspects of the game.
Yeah. Twice the gameplan has cost them.
You can fire Sanford, game plans are going to look similar because Fleck is the guy who controls things.
Our 2021 offense looks more similar to what Fleck did with KC schematically than what Western Kentucky and Notre Dame were doing under Sanford whether gopher fans want to admit that or not.

I’m okay if fleck fired Sanford but I’m going to assume fleck knows more than me who is responsible for what mistakes

So your comments are decidedly irrelevant, appreciate the confirmation.
Last year, with Sanford. More passes vs Iowa than anyone else.
20/31 first half snaps are called passes.

Whether you like it or not, Minnesota has passed more against Iowa than anyone else. In the first half. The last 3 years under fleck with 2 different OCs

so I’m going to go ahead and predict we throw more than usual this week. I guess we will see if you are correct

Twice in 3 years.

how many other times has this happened?

Did we in 2016 (I know we did for last game but did we for Nebraska game)
2014? I believe we did

any time under Mason? I don’t believe so because the critical games were always earlier in the season.

the gophers aren’t very good this year…but neither are Iowa and wisconsin.
if Ohio state beats Purdue, we don’t even need to beat Indiana to win the division.
Mason had to beat tOSU, Michigan, and Penn State to stay in contention.
Fleck has to beat one of Wisconsin and Iowa and then three or four bottom half teams. Mason also didn't get freebies against Rutgers and Maryland.

Mason had a much tougher task.

Last edited:

Fleck has to beat one of Wisconsin and Iowa and then three or four bottom half teams. Mason also didn't get freebies against Rutgers and Maryland.

This thread isn’t about that. This thread is asking if those are the only times it has happened.

mason did get to play against a much worse version of Ohio state until tressel arrived.

Masons best team didn’t play Ohio state and played a 3-9 Penn state team.

you are correct. It is easier to win the big ten west than it is to win the big ten.

Wow. You're losing credibility. Mason made bowl games many years because we had 4 paper thin OOC games. He probably only played P5 teams in the non-conference a couple times (Baylor and Cal). And no matter what you say, beating Big Ten teams is harder than beating the non-conference teams Mase played every year.

This season was a complete waste of an extremely experienced O line, the best we’ve had in how long? As well as a complete waste of the best QB we’ve had in how long? One of the winningest QB’s in program history that Fleck’s hire at OC had absolutely no idea how to use or coach. Fleck’s hire at OC took a great group and regressed them to amazing lows.
Sorry , I can’t buy a bunch of fan opinions over the program PAID Coach and his PAID Staff members opinion when it comes to knowing how the heck to coach the U of M football team in the month of November.

I’ve known plenty of fans who have told me they know more than the people who are PAID to coach the team. But those damn fans can never agree on a damn thing and argue their opinion over and over. They have no skin in the game. About the only risk the have is that they might get banned from participating in the food fights (personal experience).

So I go with the coach and staff EVERY time now & let the chips fall where they may. Fans, as a group really don’t know diddly squat, are totally irresponsible, don’t have an actual BT coaching record, and are pretty darn full of themselves (once again, personal experience. & guilty as charged.)

I vote to go with the coach and his staff on their game plan for Iowa. Beat the stinking hawkeye, Gopher!

Last edited:

So you're saying the one game at a time schtick is bs?

So you're saying the one game at a time schtick is bs?

Just saying that I think - obviously to a fault at times - they are purposely conservative when they think that can win in that matter.

Top Bottom