End of 2nd Quarter Strategy / Tactics

6 Nov 1999

Reaction score
Next time we take possession of the ball with some 47 or 45 seconds on the clock left in the 1st half, I hope we try to score instead of just sitting on the ball and letting the clock run out. We clearly needed all the points we could get in this game. I just don't understand why we didn't try to score. I know, I know, Woody Hayes said when you pass the ball, 3 things can happen and two of them are bad. Nevertheless, we should have tried. Next time we may need the 3 extra or 7 extra points. I am sorry, I just don't agree with this sit on the ball strategy and go into the locker room with a lead. You came to Bloomington to play football. Be aggressive. When you have the ball, try to score unless we absolutely believe the game is in the bag. Nevertheless, I am so grateful to Aaron Hill, and so proud of our Golden Gophers for never giving up and fighting to the very last.

We were on our own 10-15 yard line. Taking a knee is fine. Maybe run the ball.

Didn't the Gophers get the ball at like their own 11 yard line or am I misremembering? But if they were deep in their own territory, that was a great time to let the clock run out.

We were on our own 10-15 yard line. Taking a knee is fine. Maybe run the ball.

This. If we were closer to midfield, I would take a shot. On your own 10-yard line, you're more likely to give up the ball and an easy score to your opponent.

I thought it was absolutely the right decision to kneel it. It's not our game to go 60 yards in 45 seconds through the air. Just as good a chance there's a tip pass and interception or a sack fumble as scoring there.

Next time we take possession of the ball with some 47 or 45 seconds on the clock left in the 1st half, I hope we try to score instead of just sitting on the ball and letting the clock run out. We clearly needed all the points we could get in this game. I just don't understand why we didn't try to score. I know, I know, Woody Hayes said when you pass the ball, 3 things can happen and two of them are bad. Nevertheless, we should have tried. Next time we may need the 3 extra or 7 extra points. I am sorry, I just don't agree with this sit on the ball strategy and go into the locker room with a lead. You came to Bloomington to play football. Be aggressive. When you have the ball, try to score unless we absolutely believe the game is in the bag. Nevertheless, I am so grateful to Aaron Hill, and so proud of our Golden Gophers for never giving up and fighting to the very last.

Didn't you see the rest of the game? We were freaky aggressive. Absolutely the right thing to do at the time.

I think it was a no brainer. Risk reward is not worth it. If we were at the 40 then yes. Especially since we did not get the ball at the start of the half. Staff has become much more aggressive in play calls, I thought it was the right one.

We had the lead. We basically want the clock burned up as fast as possible.
Taking a knee is by far the right thing.

Top Bottom