Empty Trophy Case... except BOBC

Record against non rivals compared to predecessors?
I got you fam.

Non-rival record, first four years.
Fleck (2017-2020)
  • Vs Indiana, 1-0
  • Vs Northwestern, 1-2
  • Vs Illinois, 3-1
  • Vs Purdue, 3-1
  • Vs Michigan State, 0-1
  • Vs Ohio State, 0-1
Kill (2011-2014)
  • Vs Indiana, 1-0
  • Vs Northwestern, 2-2
  • Vs Illinois, 2-1
  • Vs Purdue, 2-1
  • Vs Michigan State, 0-3
  • Vs Ohio State, 0-1
Brewster (2007-2010)
  • Vs Indiana, 1-1
  • Vs Northwestern, 1-3
  • Vs Illinois, 2-2
  • Vs Purdue, 2-2
  • Vs Michigan State, 1-1
  • Vs Ohio State, 0-4
Mason (1997-2000)
  • Vs Indiana, 2-2
  • Vs Northwestern, 1-1
  • Vs Illinois, 2-0
  • Vs Purdue, 0-4
  • Vs Michigan State, 1-1
  • Vs Ohio State, 1-3
Record totals-
  • Fleck: 8-6
  • Kill: 7-8
  • Brewster: 7-13
  • Mason: 7-11
Also just to explore this a bit more, the first four years vs non conference Power Five/Automatic Qualifiers, including bowls.
  • Fleck: 3-0
  • Kill: 1-5
  • Brewster: 1-4
  • Mason: 2-2

I want our coach to put a little coaching and game theory in with the recruiting and culture both of which are great.

Not hard to figure out. Now go study your algebra and rest well k owing one day you will be old enough to buy and drink gin. In the meantime, go marry the ref and Matt Millen.
This guy gets it lol

Our defense isn’t good so we play conservative on offense? Not making much sense there.
That is extremely common. Winning time of possession on offense limits the number of series that the defense has to be be exposed. Grind it out... run down the clock and limit your opponent's possessions.

The most important piece of my response is that we have not developed a solid group of second or third stringers. When someone goes down or is drafted at any given position, you need to have someone prepared and ready to step up. A solid team must always be ready to fill in for these losses. I have not seen enough player development under Fleck. This may be due to keeping starters in too long and not getting reps to the younger players. Game time experience counts.

The coaching staff knows our personnel. While the D has improved over the season, they know that they are susceptible to the big play. They don't want to risk a turnover and give them a short field and a chance for more momentum. They don't trust their D coverage due to lack of experience so they go conservative. THAT is 'game theory' or whatever you called it earlier.

I wish we had some of our D studs ready so they could take some more risks so they don't. We don't have AWR, Kamal, or Williamson on this squad. I am as frustrated at yesterday as anyone but this isn't about the game-day coaching. They lost yesterday because of RECRUITING and PLAYER DEVELOPMENT. A good program can lose talent to the NFL but continues to perform because they have solid players behind them. They may not be stars but they are ready to step on the field. Our bench was not ready to step up this year. WHY?

Why? Because there was a huge gap in guys ready to play. I did a quick analysis of classes for next year on Defense (this doesn’t include Seniors like Durr coming back) we only have 8 Seniors, 3 Juniors 11 Sophomores, 14 RFreshmen and 9 Freshmen. Many of those played this year but they were young and not ready for B10 action. So I think showing the improvement they made from game one to game seven the future is bright as long as they continue to develop.

That is extremely common. Winning time of possession on offense limits the number of series that the defense has to be be exposed. Grind it out... run down the clock and limit your opponent's possessions.

The most important piece of my response is that we have not developed a solid group of second or third stringers. When someone goes down or is drafted at any given position, you need to have someone prepared and ready to step up. A solid team must always be ready to fill in for these losses. I have not seen enough player development under Fleck. This may be due to keeping starters in too long and not getting reps to the younger players. Game time experience counts.
It's only their 4th year. They haven't really had the chance to take a lot of guys from start to finish. The next two or three years will tell a ton about development. That said, it's easy to think of a bunch of guys who improved a TON (not just a little) under Fleck and Co: Martin, Williamson, Ibrahim, Morgan, Bateman, Renner, CAB, JMS, Schlueter, Durr all come to mind quickly.

It's only their 4th year. They haven't really had the chance to take a lot of guys from start to finish. The next two or three years will tell a ton about development. That said, it's easy to think of a bunch of guys who improved a TON (not just a little) under Fleck and Co: Martin, Williamson, Ibrahim, Morgan, Bateman, Renner, CAB, JMS, Schlueter, Durr all come to mind quickly.

You also missed Tyler Johnson and pretty much the entire offensive line.

I really don't see the point of this thread this year. Short season, missing guys due to covid and we're making trophies an issue now?. Op is a troll.

Another year without the Jug, Floyd, The Axe....

Sigh

Anyone know the tally of Fleck’s record in Trophy Games.... I know it’s not good.
Not to discount the history behind the other trophies or any other conference opponent, but to most fans (myself included), beating Iowa and Wisconsin should be top priority. Fleck is 1-7 those games. After four years and the most supportive administration in recent memory, the excuses should be damn near zero, and it’s time we expect to win these games every now and then.

Not to discount the history behind the other trophies or any other conference opponent, but to most fans (myself included), beating Iowa and Wisconsin should be top priority. Fleck is 1-7 those games. After four years and the most supportive administration in recent memory, the excuses should be damn near zero, and it’s time we expect to win these games every now and then.
Agreed.

what do you want to do about it?

For me, the plan is to keep let fleck working and hopefully we improve.

Do you prefer a different plan?

I get the $5BOBC hasn't been acknowledged yet, but myself and a lot of fans really love it. Check out CFB on reddit, everyone there raves about it. A lot of the media ranging from smaller blogs to ESPN have referenced it. Sure it's made up, but all trophies are made up in a sense. This one just happens to have been made up recently and on the internet.

I think with fans and media keeping it alive, in the next 10 years it wouldn't surprise me if the the Chair is actually recognized. I think it's nice to have, too, considering the Gophers actually have history with Nebraska, and since joining the Big Ten the teams are 5-5 against each other. No it doesn't mean as much as the Axe or the Pig or the Jug. But, you gotta start somewhere right?

I get the $5BOBC hasn't been acknowledged yet, but myself and a lot of fans really love it. Check out CFB on reddit, everyone there raves about it. A lot of the media ranging from smaller blogs to ESPN have referenced it. Sure it's made up, but all trophies are made up in a sense. This one just happens to have been made up recently and on the internet.

I think with fans and media keeping it alive, in the next 10 years it wouldn't surprise me if the the Chair is actually recognized. I think it's nice to have, too, considering the Gophers actually have history with Nebraska, and since joining the Big Ten the teams are 5-5 against each other. No it doesn't mean as much as the Axe or the Pig or the Jug. But, you gotta start somewhere right?
I would be much more sympathetic to your cause .... if the trophy had even given a quarter-ass effort to look and feel like a real trophy.

It was a joke. Literally a joke, that then got brought to life by the internet. The name of it, for cripes sakes. It's disrespectful to actual trophies, if this one were elevated to that status.

It was a joke. Literally a joke, that then got brought to life by the internet. The name of it, for cripes sakes. It's disrespectful to actual trophies, if this one were elevated to that status.
Kinda like the "Governors Victory Bell"? Which looks like they got it off the shelf at the local trophy store.
I like it as an unofficial trophy. It is recognized by the University Masonic Children's Hospital as a fund raiser.

Kinda like the "Governors Victory Bell"? Which looks like they got it off the shelf at the local trophy store.
I like it as an unofficial trophy. It is recognized by the University Masonic Children's Hospital as a fund raiser.
As I've said before, the Bell means nothing to me as a fan (certainly meant something to the 2019 team, I would guess). Wouldn't care if it were decommissioned.

Bolded: Yep. As I've said before, that is a perfect place and purpose for the Chair meme.

I would be much more sympathetic to your cause .... if the trophy had even given a quarter-ass effort to look and feel like a real trophy.

point.gif

I really don't see the point of this thread this year. Short season, missing guys due to covid and we're making trophies an issue now?. Op is a troll.
Fleck isn't on record stating winning Trophy games is important? That's news to me

Yes!

A year ago, this place was ecstatic over beating Penn State.

Apparently, that's a moment all but forgotten now. "Yes, that was pretty good; but what have you done for me lately?"

That right there describes the irrational, forgetful, and fragile psyche of a Minnesota sports fan.

I really don't see the point of this thread this year. Short season, missing guys due to covid and we're making trophies an issue now?.

I agree with you. This was almost a lost year but we have plenty of company in misery. This was a lost year for most of the conference. Only four teams in the conference had winning records and one team was .500. Teams all over the country preemptively declined bowl bids. Putting aside Ohio State, a virtual automatic for a top finish every year, only three conference teams (Indiana, NW, and Iowa) were able to make something memorable out of this season.

I guess if I were to speculate about what was worthwhile this season, I would say that we got the opportunity to develop all of the new players on defense, got Daniel Jackson 7 games under his belt, got some backup receivers a little burn, gave extended minutes to new offensive line starters, and further developed back up running backs. So, essentially this was an extended developmental exhibition season.

Top Bottom