Emory Study: Ranking the “Best” Football Fans in the Big 10 (Gophers Fans #10)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Emory:

We are presenting a series ranking the “best” fan bases in college football. The study uses data from the past ten years and the rankings are based on Revenue Premium Brand Equity.

1. Ohio State
2. Penn State
3. Michigan
4. Nebraska
5. Michigan State
6. Wisconsin
7. Iowa
8. Illinois
9. Purdue
10. Minnesota
11. Indiana
12. Northwestern

As a conference, the Big 10 finished second only to the SEC in overall football brand equity. The conference added Nebraska in 2011, and will add Maryland and Rutgers in 2014. The Big Ten has been very successful at creating a network that capitalizes on the appeal of its members. This fan appeal is also manifested in the top three schools in our rankings; all three schools have football stadiums with capacities over 100,000, and are regularly sold out.

Indiana and Northwestern are at the bottom of the Big 10 fan base rankings. Indiana seems to suffer from the same issue faced by Kansas or Duke. That is, how do you build football brand equity in a “basketball school”? Northwestern is an interesting case. A comparison with in-state “rival” Illinois (ranked 8th) is quite revealing. In the period our study, Northwestern averaged 1-2 more wins per season than Illinois. However, Illinois average 88% of capacity attendance, while Northwestern averaged 62%. Illinois also produced 30% more football revenue than the Wildcats.

https://blogs.emory.edu/sportsmarke...tball-fans-in-the-big-10-buckeyes-are-on-top/

Go Gophers!!

Maybe Emory U culled data using the infamous CSOM study of our student attendance

and that is why we only ranked 10th in the Big 10. What is funny about that list, "When you say W-I-S-C-O-N-S-I-N, you've said sixth place," just like Wisco-centrically adjusted lyrics of the famous Budweiser jingle goes.

ESPN: B1G ADs focused on game-day upgrades

Minnesota has the Big Ten's newest stadium but still struggles to get students to show up in droves.

"They're the centerpiece of the fan experience," Minnesota athletic director Norwood Teague told ESPN.com, "so getting them there changes everything that goes on. We're a new stadium, so we have an unbelievable video board. A lot of the problems that plague other stadiums, we don't have. Our [public-address system] is perfect.

"We've got to do more and more, but our top priority right now is student attendance."

Teague had a group from Minnesota's Carlson School of Management study student attendance at the school. They found that students want a gathering place before games, so the school is providing an entire parking lot near the stadium, Teague said, which will be monitored.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/76902/big-ten-ads-focused-on-game-day-upgrades

Go Gophers!!

8-12 are all about the same imo. All have a less then desirable fan base.

1. Ohio State No NFL in town
2. Penn State No NFL in town
3. Michigan No MFL in town -- 45 Mi from NFL
4. Nebraska No NFL in state
5. Michigan State No NFL in town
6. Wisconsin No NFL in town
7. Iowa No NFL in state
8. Illinois No NFL in town
9. Purdue No NFL in town
10. Minnesota 3.0 mi to NFL, NBA, MLB
11. Indiana No NFL in town 52 mi from NFL
12. Northwestern 16 mi from NFL

Now, it could be a coincidence that three of the four Big10 teams near NFL competition for fan and media attention are the bottom of the list. Michigan's history plus the historic weakness of the Lions helps them avoid the bottom. This rarely-admitted handicap could help explain Illinois' ranking v NW, too. I have my blast shield charged -- fire away.

1. Ohio State No NFL in town
2. Penn State No NFL in town
3. Michigan No MFL in town -- 45 Mi from NFL
4. Nebraska No NFL in state
5. Michigan State No NFL in town
6. Wisconsin No NFL in town
7. Iowa No NFL in state
8. Illinois No NFL in town
9. Purdue No NFL in town
10. Minnesota 3.0 mi to NFL, NBA, MLB
11. Indiana No NFL in town 52 mi from NFL
12. Northwestern 16 mi from NFL

Now, it could be a coincidence that three of the four Big10 teams near NFL competition for fan and media attention are the bottom of the list. Michigan's history plus the historic weakness of the Lions helps them avoid the bottom. This rarely-admitted handicap could help explain Illinois' ranking v NW, too. I have my blast shield charged -- fire away.

Can't really argue with this list - although I'd bump Wisconsin ahead of MSU.

Purdue definitely has built in disadvantages considering Notre Dame, Indiana, Illinois, and even Ball State are within 2 hours of West Lafayette. Expand to 3 hours and you get Louisville, Northwestern, Cincinnati, and a bunch of MAC schools. The population base is much higher but outside of Tippecanoe County where Purdue is located - Purdue fans are the minority.

The only ones who can move us up the list are the fans. Pure and simple.

The only ones who can move us up the list are the fans. Pure and simple.

Did you go to the Syracuse game? That's how it will be when we start winning on a regular basis.

Did you go to the Syracuse game? That's how it will be when we start winning on a regular basis.

That's exactly what I mean, Parski. The fans make the difference.

and that is why we only ranked 10th in the Big 10. What is funny about that list, "When you say W-I-S-C-O-N-S-I-N, you've said sixth place," just like Wisco-centrically adjusted lyrics of the famous Budweiser jingle goes.

C'mon man . . . . that's MY line, and you know it !!!

:)

See you at our seats in 4 weeks, mon frere!!! . . .

One thing that is interesting - Maryland (future B1G school); ranks second to the last in the ACC. The ACC was ranked 6th out of 6 in the AQ schools. Could Maryland become the bottom dweller in the B1G or will the B1G influence energize their fanbase? Perhaps they should have a Trophy Game with Indiana - Call it the No Show Bowl.

Top Bottom